• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else likes their battery...hahaha

Last night when I went to bed my phone was fully charged - 100%. I turned off my 3g and Wi-Fi and the screen brightness was set to the lowest. I woke up this morning and the battery was 89%. What on Earth used 11% of my battery for less than 8hrs without anyone using the phone at all or any apps running in the background? Is anyone having this experience with their battery?

Upvote 0
My average battery life was 13-15 hours. Now I made a few changes on my settings. My usual settings were:

Wifi always on (80% of my day connected to Wifi at work or at home)
Bluetooth always off
GPS while driving
Screen brightness automatic
Screen timeout 2 mins
G+ instant photo upload while connected to Wifi

Then I made two "main changes". Screen timeout set to 30 seconds and G+ instant photo upload while connected to Wifi and charging. This gave me 3-5 hours more of average battery lifetime.

Screenshot_2013_01_19_00_15_52.png

18 hours 32 mins. Screen time 3 hours 23 mins.

I'm pretty happy with that.

Upvote 0
Screen time?

5.5 hours screen time. I had no SIM card in at the time but WiFi was on all the time, 2 Gmail accounts receiving about 600 emails/day combined, Facebook, Yahoo mail, an external email account.
Now it lasts about 30 hours with AT&T SIM card, same accounts as above, about 2 hour phone calls, 2 hour Skype voice, connected to WiFi 95% of the time.
The only weird thing is that screen turns on by itself now from time to time and I didn't used to do it before when there was no SIM card in.
BBS shows msm_hsic_host keeping a kernel lock 14% of the time, seems like a qualcomm radio issue to me. Hope they fix it in the next release.

Upvote 0
If you want great battery life, like 4 days light use, get franco.Kernel have to be rooted. He even has a play store app that will do configuration for you.

This is NOT a battery saver app, it's a totally new kernel, the "software" the cpu runs on. It changes the way the phone operating system runs. All the "advanced" "tricked out" phone users change the kernel for lots more battery life.

The official place is for discussing it is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002782

It has Views: 1,050,955

Reactions: andrews317
Upvote 0
If you want great battery life, like 4 days light use, get franco.Kernel have to be rooted. He even has a play store app that will do configuration for you.

This is NOT a battery saver app, it's a totally new kernel, the "software" the cpu runs on. It changes the way the phone operating system runs. All the "advanced" "tricked out" phone users change the kernel for lots more battery life.

Do you have it? Tell us your experience.

Upvote 0
Do you have it? Tell us your experience.

I'm not OP, but I've been using Franco's kernel as my daily driver for a month and i'm quite happy with it. I have Franco's app which lets me play around with the kernel settings/clock speeds/etc and also automatically checks for updates every time he pushes out a new kernel. The app is $5 i believe, but it's worth it to me for the convenience. His kernel is available free of charge.

I'd highly recommend you give it a try. You can read hundreds of pages of first hand accounts on his XDA thread here:

Upvote 0
So what does his kernel do that apparently doubles the battery life? And more to the point, why doesn't the regular kernel do that too?

People are busy. Why can't I delete emails from the notifications menu, why can't I ... I could go on forever. There are a list of priorities and this isn't top.

Anyway, back to battery life. Mine was sucking big time, all of a sudden it would get really hot and start losing a percent a minute. Turned out if was Google Play. I reverted to a previous version, and now I'm getting 2 days+ of battery. Also I have Google Now turned off which helps loads.

Upvote 0
So what does his kernel do that apparently doubles the battery life? And more to the point, why doesn't the regular kernel do that too?

Because each phone reacts to a kernel differently. Manufacturers have to take a hit on performance and battery life to find a common ground among all handsets so that everything works.

With all kernels, mileage may vary. some phones can handle undervolting, some will get vary unstable, some can handle really high clock speeds, others will get lots of random reboots.

One thing I've learned in my time here and other forums... it doesn't matter what others are getting for battery life. There are simply too many variables that you can never account for, so there's no point in trying to match someone else's.

About the best you can do is use an app like gsam battery monitor to keep track of your average battery life and try different things to improve on that.

There are times where you'll have a wakelock or some other rogue app killing your battery life, and there are apps out there to find out what the cause is

Upvote 0

If I flash this kernel will I have to change to a certain ROM or kind of ROM? I use a stock ROM. It won't change anything other than behind the scenes software stuff?

Upvote 0
After a month of using the phone my battery has become exceptionally better. I didnt notice it until the other day when at night before I plug it in to charge it used to be around 10% left at MOST. Now, a solid 35%. Same amount of use, ....maybe even more because I found a cool game :)

Anyway, ill take a screenshot at the end of the day today. The time on is anywhere from 15-18 hours. I havent really messed with any settings since the beginning when I set the phone up...Wifi on, GPS off, Screen Auto (50% of the time), Data when not on Wifi...So I'm not sure what caused this jump in performance that I am seeing.

Im sure there are better battery performances from other users but for me that was solid gain especially since the phones battery sometimes isnt as good as I wish it was! Oh and everything is stock, not rooted or anything. Just running ADW launcher. I even have live wallpaper which I assumed just drains the phone...but couldnt resist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones