• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who here has a Sprint G2 and hows your service/speed?

strodda

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2011
We're currently on Verizon and its been flawless except for the pricing. My wife now wants a G2 after seeing mine, BUT she wants unlimited data for streaming Pandora/etc at work. Our only option is Sprint but I hear bad things about the service and/or the feeling of speeds being constantly throttled.

If you are on Sprint, went to or came from, what are you experiences with them and this phone specifically, since we will both be using a G2?

BTW, we live in the Bay Area in Northern California... but input nationwide would be appreciated.

As the phone itself, I have absolutely no complaints at all.

Service, that's a different story. The 3g speeds are horrible. In the Shreveport, Louisiana area I get 0.6mbps download if I'm lucky. But I also have access to 4g lte which I get a steady 15-20 mbps down.

So I'd definitely check to see if you get 4g coverage out there.

The 3g speed is really the only complaint I have out of sprint.

Reactions: strodda
Upvote 0
As the phone itself, I have absolutely no complaints at all.

Service, that's a different story. The 3g speeds are horrible. In the Shreveport, Louisiana area I get 0.6mbps download if I'm lucky. But I also have access to 4g lte which I get a steady 15-20 mbps down.

So I'd definitely check to see if you get 4g coverage out there.

The 3g speed is really the only complaint I have out of sprint.

Awesome thanks, that is good to hear. How about the phone on talk? Ive had it occasionally and I dont know what causes it... but its like a little distortion or popping sound while talking. Is that a phone or service issue?

Upvote 0
Awesome thanks, that is good to hear. How about the phone on talk? Ive had it occasionally and I dont know what causes it... but its like a little distortion or popping sound while talking. Is that a phone or service issue?

That sounds more like a service issue, me and my other both have g2's with sprint of neither of ours experience that popping or distortion sound.

Upvote 0
As long as you have 4g coverage you should be fine. I am in NY and I actually am able to use spark, which is ridiculously fast. But their 4 g is also sufficient. As for the distortion, I had 3 g2 s with same problem, than there was an update for call quality issues and problem was solved. Couldn't be happier with this phone now.

Upvote 0
I'm in the South Florida area and I've had the G2 for a couple of weeks now. 4G is in 75% of the area I travel in and is good. 3G is terrible! The only issue I have is I tend to get missed calls that are going straight to VM with no ring or missed call notification. This never happened on any of my other phones and I've been with Sprint for years.

I'm hoping when the upgrades to spark are finished it will solve the problems but that could be light years away. I don't trust Sprint and their timelines.

Otherwise the phone is great and call quality here is fine.

Upvote 0

It was a service issue at first that both the g2 and the note 3 had due to the processor. But updates have been releases that make the calls clear. So no worries

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones