• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is keeping their A500?

I can deal with the bugs, but only if it's providing me something I can't get on an iPad 2. And right now, that's absolutely nothing except a much nicer UI where two important apps to me, Browser and Aldiko, like to crash land to. So I'll be returning this a500 next week and will join those watching nowinstock for the Transformer, my first choice because of their keyboard. Not to mention Asus is updating their TF, and from what I read on XDA, Acer's customer support sucks and they seem shady to me when it comes to pushing out HC updates. The weak wifi, lack of IPS+unnecessary grid, tegra 2 high profile whatever, and the freezing problem I'm having aren't helping either.

Upvote 0
After going back to my gTablet and its display, slower system speed and interface, I REALLY, REALLY miss the A500. I will get another one and see if the wifi was a fluke.

I got my A500 yesterday. My laptop gets about 150 m range with my dlink n300, the A500 about 20 meters.

The low sensitivity is insane. No other issues other than wanting HC to support ad-hoc mode to my cell phone.

Upvote 0
The A500 is well built, has great connectivity, great display, great sound, unobtrusive UI and works well (sans the random sleep issue).

In spite of the apparently weaker wifi that some of us notice, others say it is great. I think it may be an issue of some routers being more accommodating to the Acer radio, so some see the issue and others do not. None the less, it seems the A500 has issues maintaining a steady connection in low bar signal areas. It will lose connection and regain it (for me, in about five minute intervals with about 15 second connection loss).

Since moving my router upstairs (was in basement), the connection stays steady and does not go out. My gTablet is better than the A500 for wifi, but others report the opposite.

My advice is to not miss out on a great all-around device and at least test the A500 where you live and the areas you may use it. Shame to not try the device, in case you do not have any issues with the wifi (as others are reporting no issues).

added:

One thing is for sure, my A500 works GREAT with my Incredible via wifi tether :)

Upvote 0
The sleep mode problem got out of hand to the point of the A500 will wake up randomly and not go off unless the power button is pressed. Went back to stock install, but same issue. Boxed and returning to Best Buy. Will wait and see if Acers 3.1 update has fixes for current issues. Two A500s with same problems, but the second ones sleep mode problems became the norm and not the exception. Bummer, since the sleep mode issue just recently got out of hand. The A500 will be a keeper- assuming the bugs are fixed.

Upvote 0
Today was day 14 and I went into the BB with my Acer and bought a sleeve for it until a better case comes out thats actually worth the $40. I have had little issues with the wifi issues others have had, and I link up to 3-5 different networks a day as I use it for work, (though once I get a 4g verizon phone soon, I'll be set) It waking up seems trivial as its not for that long and doesn't use a significant amount of battery power.

My beefs mostly are not having exchange, (using k9), the keyboard lag, and the short powercord. Hopefully the update will fix 2 of them, and I have a solution for the cord.

Upvote 0
24-7 wifi to Evo (some evo issues ie recycling on and off. On 3rd evo. Iphone made me happier but sprint has been super and cheaper) Charge in car with 12 volt 1.5 amp adapter when needed. Usually don't. At home use short extention cord from surge box. Velcroed to steering wheel with Bluetooth connected to head unit. Use tango and sling box. Not sure about legal issues but have been doing this for years with 3gs and evo. 3gs now a touch because ATT busted me for tethering without plan. But they didn't have a plan then! Still turn off really quick if john law is lurking. Very happy with unit. Way less expensive than 32gb ipad2 and does more!? Use i7 HP laptop with Bluetooth. Very happy w/bt connectivity. Use motorola sd9hd headphones. Wifi never a problem. Sometimes a little slow but we are all used to fast machines. The i7 is snappy. But the a500 is really cool. Pay for your coffee at starbucks with it and people will be trippin!

Upvote 0
Wow 14 days that's crazy. My first tab @ target had 30 days. Then I returned that and bought a bigger one at cosco for $20 more and now get 90 days.

I can say one thing this tablet is abused. I am usually on it it about 3 hours a day playing games, reading and checking up on the android news. I have also experienced wifi issues but to me since its fixable with a reset button I'm keeping this wonderful gift. I could not be happier. Much nicer then a 4" screen and way faster

To think about it it has replaced my laptop and desktop. I only use them ig I have too

Upvote 0
I will be keeping mine. No complaints thus far - except for the little bit of lag with the virtual keyboard. I've just had it for a couple of days now and after the 3.1 update, things seem quite good - though I've not yet got an opportunity to set up the microSD card. Not planning to root the thing yet.

Till the ThinkPad tab comes out with Win 8, I will be hopefully satisfied with the A500.

Upvote 0
I got mine on the $100 off the staples deal, so far no hardware issues(I'm getting the 1 bar on wifi, but no lag). Then I went to Marshalls and found a case for the for the ipad which fit the icona perfect($10). Installed SwiftKey and rooted it with no problems. The way I figure, I paid less then retail price and it does everything I need it to do, so it's a win win for me! Keeping it!

Upvote 0
Sister got a iPad2, daughter got a iPad so I'm seeing first hand on what I'm not missing.

The Acer A500 (w 32Gb Flash. usb cable, battery charger and free case) was at Costco for $429! Today I saw the Target Ad for $399 for a 16Gb Flash model and a $100 Target gift card.

Boy are the prices coming down!

We chose the Acer A500 for the USB support for our external 3TB hard drive, and stubby flash drives. Having 2 carmeras is nice; 5megapixels on the back of the tablet and a 2 megapixel on the other side facing you.

Microphone kinda sucks! They say it's under the glass at the top middle of the tablet in landscape mode. 2nd mic is inside the slot area where the micro SD card resides. The FREE case covered up this area causing the muffled sound audio track. The holes for the mic is on the wrong side of the case! Mistake I think by whoever made the cases for Acer.

I used a paper hole punch to cut out the microphone area on the glass side of the tablet and also the edge area where the 2nd mic is next to the micro SD slot.

I can now print to my home network printer via tcp/ip using raw port 9100; got it as a freebie app download and supported my Lexmark e260dn laser printer.

Did not like the Docs to go app, so I'm looking for something better (possibly for free?)

I can't access my Micro SD card thru the USB cable BUT I can see and copy the internal Flash drive no problem! And it's FAST! Taking the Micro SD card out of the slot is a small price to pay to get at the SD data.

Looking for a way to improve the wifi signal on the A500. It's just OK and I have to be careful/picky on where I go in my house; don't have this problem with my HP G60 laptop.

Most of all, the enjoyment of the lighter computer fits our needs but I'm still having to keep the laptop for the DVD authoring stuff.

Charile

Upvote 0
Had my sister pick up my Acer A500 16GB in the U.S. (I am in Canada) at a Staples when they had the $100 off coupon. So I got mine for $299 and it was in New Hampshire so no sales tax and the CDN $ is higher than the U.S. one so even cheaper by a few dollars!
I am loving this Tablet! Out of the box it asked me to upgrade to Honeycomb 3.1 and that only took a few minutes. So far everything works great and I haven't even put in a Micro SD card yet. It recognized my USB flash drive right away and i was able to play a movie directly from it with no issues. Been reading that people have had wifi strength issues but I am finding it is about equal to my Samsung Captivate and not as good as my laptop. My router is on the first floor and signal is week on the second but that is more to do with the metal studs in my house. I bought a wifi extender for upstairs and now I have full 72 mpbs connection where before I was running around 11.
I have also tethered it to my Captivate and that was easy and seamless using the built in utility on my phone.
I can't say enough good things about this Tablet so far!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones