• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is or has bought their phones outright , Any one ?

GatorfanDroid

Dec 4, 2009
Green Bay , WI
What I mean is has any one bought there s4 full price with no two year contract? I'm gonna do that this go around sadly because I don't wanna lose my unlimited plan with faithful Verizon. I was just curious to see if any one has done and if so where are the best deals online or stores? Verizon is 650 bucks? So lets here the best deals and ideas...

I'm with tmobile who doesnt do substidized plans or contracts directly through them anymore so phones are always full price but do have payment plans so had to pay $149 down and pay $20 a month but I plan to pay it off sooner. Total price is $630.

I'm in the same boat so i'm paying full price to keep my unlimited data and still use 4g at will!

Upvote 0
I bought 2 Galaxy S2s, a Motorola Defy+ and now my Galaxy S4 all "outright". I didn't want to get the phones from AT&T due to stupid rule about not keeping the $10 unlimited data on my 3 lines for family plan. They never said a thing for the last 2 years with those older phones, but within a week of the S4 connecting I got a text about moving me to a $30/month smart phone plan. All APN settings and such are the same as on my old phones. I got them to remove it and restore my $10/month data, but they said I have to not use a smart phone... I'm still using it. I've had an unlimited data plan since it was Cingular. I'm one of those that refuse to pay more for the same service. In the mean time I've ordered some Straight Talk SIMs for the AT&T network so that if they raise the issue again I just switch, and save money even if only $12/month.

Upvote 0
I get mine through the Best Buy guaranteed buy back rate program, and this time would have traded in my S3 and got the 32gb. Worked out almost too good when trading in my Razr for the S3.

Backfired this time since not VZW 32gb version and who knows when a 32gb S4 or anything else as worthy will be released (the buy back rate declines after a year). Bummer.

Apparently At&t got the only 32gb allocation for launch, so we will see if there is a post launch release with other carriers.

Upvote 0
I'm with tmobile who doesnt do substidized plans or contracts directly through them anymore so phones are always full price but do have payment plans so had to pay $149 down and pay $20 a month but I plan to pay it off sooner. Total price is $630.

well that is the same thing the other companies do, they just dont make you renew a contract. they split up your payment over months until you pay it off, the thing with other companies is, you still pay the same amount even after you pay off your phone.

Upvote 0
I just will not sign a new contract any more until and if Verizon brings the Unlimited plan so I'm just buying it out right at 650, I will have to make payments as well. But again I just wanna keep my unlimited plan and use 4g sped at will because what is the point of being capped out on GB when you have a 4g speeds ? i don't wanna have to watch my limit as I never will know how much I need since I will soon be on the road quite a bit. Once I get enlisted. So it sucks i will have to buy any phones or the next S phone probably the 5 will be my next S phone.

Upvote 0
Verizon pricing is a little strange.

$650 to buy outright

$200 with a 2 yr contract but a $350 contract buyout.

So buy the contract and cancel after a month and you just paid $550 instead of $650.

Very strange....

Not taking the chance of losing my unlimited data to buyout the phone. I will just pay the extra 100 bucks.

It is jut weird the pricing is not all the same as far as full price goes. Sprint and others want 750 bucks instead of 650 like Verizon .

Upvote 0
Verizon pricing is a little strange.

$650 to buy outright

$200 with a 2 yr contract but a $350 contract buyout.

So buy the contract and cancel after a month and you just paid $550 instead of $650.

Very strange....
Not a bad idea if that's the case, but if you were grandfathered in with unlimited data, it just went away when you signed up the new contract. I haven't looked at fees for dropping contracts, but it wouldn't surprise me there's some additional one like another poster mentioned.

Upvote 0
What I mean is has any one bought there s4 full price with no two year contract? I'm gonna do that this go around sadly because I don't wanna lose my unlimited plan with faithful Verizon. I was just curious to see if any one has done and if so where are the best deals online or stores? Verizon is 650 bucks? So lets here the best deals and ideas...

I dumped Verizon, bought a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Smart phone signed up for the Net10 and use the Verizon net work. Unlimited everything for $45.00 a month as compared to Verizon @ almost $120 for one phone I have two phones for $80.00 for basically $5.00 bucks less than I was paying for 2 dump plain jane Verizon LG phones.

Upvote 0
I dumped Verizon, bought a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Smart phone signed up for the Net10 and use the Verizon net work. Unlimited everything for $45.00 a month as compared to Verizon @ almost $120 for one phone I have two phones for $80.00 for basically $5.00 bucks less than I was paying for 2 dump plain jane Verizon LG phones.

say what??

m220979159.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones