• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zebulon

Android Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
www.facebook.com
Well, somebody had to kick off the Aviator forums, and I figured it might as well be me. Who else has picked up the Aviator? I know it just came out, but according to two different USCC reps that I talked to, they have been flying off the shelves.

What are your thoughts on the phone? The hardware isn't terribly impressive (it seems almost identical to my Samsung Mesmerize) but the screen is really nice, and the 10-15mbps download speed is fantastic.

Well, I just picked two of them up yesterday(wife & ). Were going to give these a shot. So far they are really fast. I know they're not the top of the line smartphones but they're just like the Mez. I will let you know more about the battery life and performance later. BTW I have already played with this phone many weeks ago, I know a field Tech who has been testing this phone out for months. He really likes it too.

Upvote 0
I packed up the 1st one in Jacksonville, NC for $99. Just wish we had LTE service here. Now just need to find a way to root it so I can use TB.
I've been skimming the Droid Charge forum on XDA, and it seems to me that rooting is only possible by installing a rooted ROM through Odin. I hope that's not the case, but it may be.

Upvote 0
I've been skimming the Droid Charge forum on XDA, and it seems to me that rooting is only possible by installing a rooted ROM through Odin. I hope that's not the case, but it may be.

Just be carefull I already had to go back to the store for a reflash twice already. The cwm flash for charge does not work and the XXJW4 Firmware flash does not work. Both will soft brick the phone.

Upvote 0
I got one, too. First time USCC customer. A rep at one of my local stores says we just got 4G LTE on March 22, and I just got my new Aviator in the mail on Thursday. Not great specs, but I love the screen size (big hands, hard to type on little screens/buttons) and the display is super bright. It reminds me of my HD7 I had on T-Mobile, but they didn't even have 3G in my area. In fact, USCC is the first to have 4G LTE in the state of Maine that is this widespread. I think they have it down south in Portland and closer to New Hampshire on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, but only the first two have 3G where I live. T-Mobile only has EDGE/2G in my area which sucked. Glad I switched. Got my Aviator for $199, but getting a $100 rebate.

I too wish it could be rooted. I want to get rid of some of the stock apps I won't use, like Amazon marketplace, IMdB, and other junk. I don't even use Twitter, but I don't think that's included stock. One thing I loved about my HD7 was most everything could be deleted, except essential stuff. Wish Android would do the same.

I honestly would have gone with the GS2, but for $379 before rebate, I just didn't have the cash (now it's $279 before rebate, just two days after getting my Aviator, damn it!) I'll stick it out until my upgrade date, I do love the 4G speeds!

Reactions: Kool_One
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm really, really hoping that someone figures out how to get these things rooted soon. I can't believe how much crap is included on this from the factory. Zappos? Audible? Really? Like I can't find these free apps and use them if I want them? Come on, USCC, we don't need you to push these crappy apps on us, and we don't need your bad knockoff of Google Maps/Navigator when we already HAVE Google Maps and Navigator.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones