• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's Upgrading to the S3?

Do you plan on buying the S3?

• Total voters

Droidula

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2011
I'm planning on upgrading, most likely, as I still have some problems with my phone, and am ready for something new. Even if I didn't have problems, I think it's time for a change anyway. I'm wondering what everyone else is doing- hopefully a bunch of you guys are upgrading too, because it would be great to have the same community.

Hopefully it will be under $400, but I really don't know what price point to expect with VM. As long as it isn't too ridiculous, considering that the s4 is already out, I would pay a little more than what I should to be able to upgrade right away. I just want to be able to root asap. :D

Upvote 0
I remember how I hated the Evo back when I got it because the signal and 4G was horrible, but now it's better. Personally, I want to switch to T-Mobile and get an unlocked GSM to use in other countries. Since I'm in no rush, I might wait a few months and see how cheap the S3 can get. $300-$350 on sale is what I would like to spend.

Upvote 0
Personally, I want to switch to T-Mobile and get an unlocked GSM to use in other countries.

I too was thinking this. Mainly because my wife is from Germany and we make at least one trip a year to her home town. But this last trip, I discovered that my VOIP stuff (Groove IP and Google Voice text) worked for calling back and forth to the US. Of course I needed Wi-Fi, but that isn't too hard to find.

So yeah, I can see myself getting a S3. But I do think that will have to wait until my EVO V 4G dies. I just love 3D too much to give it up willingly.

Upvote 0
I'm kind of torn on whether i should get the S3 and stick with Virgin, or just go all out and upgrade to Sprint and get the S4. I'm leaning toward the S3 since I really can't justify paying $80+,when I currently pay like $35 and the service is probably mostly the same. Either way, I'm waiting to see what initial problems people have with the S3 and then I'll probably jump on board on a sale.

Upvote 0
Oh, man - torn. I actually really like my Evo V. I now have three extended batteries and two different back covers. I keep two charged and one has never even been opened. I got them all for less than $25. I now have a phone that can run for days in between charging. I use it for work, so the GPS is used daily, the camera is used daily and ... yeah, I make phone calls.

Is there even an extended battery offered for the s3? I'm one of the rare users that would actually run a standard battery dry before the end of my day. Can you even swap batteries on the s3? I don't know - haven't even looked into it.

I've been through four VM phones and the Evo V is the first one that I can actually say I'm happy with. Yeah, the 3D was cool and I still take an occasional 3d pic with it. I've even shot a couple of really cool videos with it. But, honestly - it's a decent phone with enough horsepower to do what I want. I have two tablets, so gameplay was never really an issue with me. I'd much rather play angry birds or fieldrunners 2 on a 10" display.

I just read other posts about 4G. Yeah, gimme a break. At my house, I have zero-G. There is NO 4G in my County, fer Christ's sake. I don't care about 4-anything.

Here's an idea: Before we even begin talking about next-generation-G, how about lowly 3G for everyone? I mean, seriously. Is that too much to ask? If I switched to US Cellular, at least I'd have 3G at my house.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm just tired of VM. The service was just incredibly frustrating and I bought an s3 and will be using it on Ting for roughly 38 bucks. The good thing about Ting is you can buy an s3 right now on ebay and just work with that. Roaming is also a nice bonus. So essentially I'm on sprint without the sprint contract and ridiculous plans. If VM worked properly from the start I would have stayed.

Upvote 0
I mentioned in another S3 thread that VM hasn't confirmed that the S3 can be purchased with your top up balance. Apparently, both iPhones currently can't be purchased with top ups...and need a CC to buy. If the S3 requires the same...it may delay my upgrade...or it may start my exit strategy. I have $280 of top ups right now. That's 6 months of service if I can't use it towards the purchase of an S3. So as it stands, that will get me through November and leave me with a $10 balance for December. At that time, I can switch carriers if I want.

So I may stick with the EVO V until the end of the year and see what Black Friday brings.

Upvote 0
Is there even an extended battery offered for the s3? I'm one of the rare users that would actually run a standard battery dry before the end of my day.
I could use up the full battery in a few hours too. Yes, I found a 4500 mAh for under $10 doing a quick search on eBay. And I agree with you. I'd rather have better 3G before any 4G, since that's what I spend most of my time on. My 3G speeds lately have been pathetic.

Personally I'm just tired of VM. The service was just incredibly frustrating and I bought an s3 and will be using it on Ting for roughly 38 bucks. The good thing about Ting is you can buy an s3 right now on ebay and just work with that. Roaming is also a nice bonus. So essentially I'm on sprint without the sprint contract and ridiculous plans. If VM worked properly from the start I would have stayed.
Roaming is nice, but according to my usage, Ting is no discount for me at all. It doesn't seem like it would be, unless you use your phone pretty minimally.

I mentioned in another S3 thread that VM hasn't confirmed that the S3 can be purchased with your top up balance. Apparently, both iPhones currently can't be purchased with top ups...and need a CC to buy. If the S3 requires the same...it may delay my upgrade...or it may start my exit strategy. I have $280 of top ups right now. That's 6 months of service if I can't use it towards the purchase of an S3. So as it stands, that will get me through November and leave me with a $10 balance for December. At that time, I can switch carriers if I want.

So I may stick with the EVO V until the end of the year and see what Black Friday brings.
Yeah, I noticed that about the iPhones, which is why I mentioned in that other thread that I was holding back from adding more balance to my account. I hope you can use your balance, but I guess we will see. That's why I haven't been adding large amounts of money to my account. It effectively locks you in in another way, and I don't like to be tied to a phone or carrier in any way. Although I have been using either Boost or Virgin for the last few years just because their deals have been best for me.

I'm kind of torn on whether i should get the S3 and stick with Virgin, or just go all out and upgrade to Sprint and get the S4. I'm leaning toward the S3 since I really can't justify paying $80+,when I currently pay like $35 and the service is probably mostly the same. Either way, I'm waiting to see what initial problems people have with the S3 and then I'll probably jump on board on a sale.
Sometimes the terrible 3G speeds make me want to switch, but then I tell myself that it's not worth that $80/mo price tag.

I'm going with the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile's $30.00 plan.. Better phone and ALOT better service.
I wish it would be more than 100 minutes, and I'd switch quickly.

Just bought my Evo last year, I want to hold out one more year before an upgrade. Presumably by then there will be a better phone than the S3.
I think having your phone for a year is a nice amount of time. I've had mine for about that time too, which is the longest amount of time that I've ever kept a phone for. Holding on to the same phone for 2 years would be a nightmare for me, I need something new. :D There will always be something newer and better at some point, so you can always keep waiting. If something that is pretty good like the S3 comes along, imo it's worth taking the chance and getting it, unless there's some reason to believe that by holding out, something even better will come along.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I noticed that about the iPhones, which is why I mentioned in that other thread that I was holding back from adding more balance to my account. I hope you can use your balance, but I guess we will see. That's why I haven't been adding large amounts of money to my account. It effectively locks you in in another way, and I don't like to be tied to a phone or carrier in any way. Although I have been using either Boost or Virgin for the last few years just because their deals have been best for me.

I used to think like you. But I realized that I must own a smart phone. Where else am I going to go? I'm already at the cheapest carrier (considering eBay top ups). Switching carriers means paying for a new phone, and paying more for service. The only competition to vm are other sprint mvnos. There's that one carrier who's name escapes me, who's still in beta offering primarily WiFi calling with cellular backup. They are $20, but their phones run a special firmware which prioritizes WiFi calling. Their phone selection is worse than vm's.

Upvote 0
I used to think like you. But I realized that I must own a smart phone. Where else am I going to go? I'm already at the cheapest carrier (considering eBay top ups). Switching carriers means paying for a new phone, and paying more for service. The only competition to vm are other sprint mvnos. There's that one carrier who's name escapes me, who's still in beta offering primarily WiFi calling with cellular backup. They are $20, but their phones run a special firmware which prioritizes WiFi calling. Their phone selection is worse than vm's.

I think that carrier is Republic. I have a couple of friends who went with them. They seem to be pretty happy so far.

Upvote 0
I think that carrier is Republic. I have a couple of friends who went with them. They seem to be pretty happy so far.

That's them. It's a cool option, but not worth it for me. The phone selection implies to me a small development community. As of now, vm is the sweet spot for me. If I need roaming, Ting could get my business, or T-Mobile maybe. I get better cell reception at home with sprint than T-Mobile.
I wish Verizon had some deep discount mvno options. Straight Talk is ok, but it lacks flagship phones.

Upvote 0
I haven't found much competition either, for my purposes and price plan. But I'd still rather have the freedom to choose to leave, even if it's just to move to Boost, if they have a phone I like better. When I got the LG Marquee, it was a horrible phone, and I wanted to switch. So I sold it online, and used that money towards the purchase of a new phone. So even if you do leave, if your phone sells for a decent amount, you don't have to shell out too much cash. If the price has dropped considerably since you've had the phone for so long, then you've gotten your money's worth out of the phone anyway.

What if you're not around WiFi for most of the day? And do you know what the speeds are like? The deal sounds good, but I wonder about that, and if there really is a data cap. Also, there's not much in the way of phone selection.

Upvote 0
What if you're not around WiFi for most of the day? And do you know what the speeds are like? The deal sounds good, but I wonder about that, and if there really is a data cap. Also, there's not much in the way of phone selection.

That I do not know. I do know that my friends that have Republic are not the "tinker with technology" types. Republic appears to have only one phone. Next time I see my friends I can ask about data speeds and cap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones