• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why: After charging is complete, disconnect the adapter from both the device and the power outlet. Do not charge the device for more than 12 hours.

It has a bit of a smell of a manufacturer covering their backsides.

Lithium batteries can be over-charged, but if the charging control has been implemented properly and decent cables are used it shouldn't be an issue (the charger should switch to a trickle or else shut off and then top up when it's fallen a little: the latter used to be common but I've not seen signs or it in recent phones). Leaving a battery on charge permanently is not a good idea even with these measures, but nothing magical will happen at 13 hours, so oversleeping isn't going to wreck your phone.

Of course if you have cables that don't provide the proper feedback, or a third-party battery with second-rate circuitry (I've met those in the days of user-removable batteries), or a faulty charger, then the risks are higher. But the stringency of this advice smells of something written with legal liability rather than technical constraints in mind.

Upvote 0
Actually I used to leave the phone plugged in to the computer always at home. Just to be able to transfer files. Much more easier to handle. And to plug it off each time after it is fully loaded would mean I had to be careful to always plug the phone back in so that it doesn't fully discharge.

And why plug the cable off of both devices, why not leave the cable plugged in in the phone?

But the stringency of this advice smells of something written with legal liability rather than technical constraints in mind.
But I wonder how the manufacturer was going to be able to prove what they wanted / had to prove in the event of an adverse event. Well, may be there a methods which could prove what ever shall be proved here.

Upvote 0
So with this manual and the use of the phone even outside of California. All over the world. May be it is just cheaper to leave the warnings for all countries. Not to be used customized for each country. Well, OK, who knows.

Apparently, the best thing to do is not to read manuals or warnings at all.

Upvote 0
So with this manual and the use of the phone even outside of California. All over the world. May be it is just cheaper to leave the warnings for all countries. Not to be used customized for each country. Well, OK, who knows.

Apparently, the best thing to do is not to read manuals or warnings at all.

Well I've seen those State of California warnings, and whatever other US and EU legalese bullshit on products here in China. My advice is, look at the important instructions for the product, like how to turn it on, and how to use it.

BTW don't drop your Xiaomi phone down a toilet, as it will likely kill it. I had a friend who done that. And I still remember with him chasing to a Xiaomi service centre in Chongqing trying to get the thing fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disposal instructions may be perfectly sensible. There are both toxic chemicals and scarce materials in a phone, so a proper recycling scheme is much better than throwing it in a landfill bin.

As for leaving the phone plugged into a computer so that it doesn't fully discharge:
(a) is the battery on the phone shot, so that it runs down rapidly or unexpectedly once unplugged? If so I'd actually be more cautious about leaving it permanently plugged in.
(b) if it's always plugged into the computer, why bother with a mobile phone at all? The computer can do everything a phone can do apart from portability, and can do most of it better, and you don't have to worry about the battery on a landline phone ;).

Seriously, how much time do you spend transferring files over USB? Permanently plugged in seems excessive, and actually isn't the best thing for battery longevity. If you want to maximise that then the best bet is to use the phone, but neither fully charge nor fully discharge it. Of course not fully charging used to be a hassle, so most people (myself included) didn't bother with that part, but Android 12 onwards includes an option to stop charging at 85%, which I would think might also reduce some of the longer-term damage you can suffer from leaving it connected for long periods.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Disposal, yes, that is true, of course. But reading that after one bought the phone might be quite odd. And reading it when one does not need the phone anymore...who does that?

(a) is the battery on the phone shot, so that it runs down rapidly or unexpectedly once unplugged?
No, no, it runs as it should i would say. I've only had the phone 3-4 months.

(b) if it's always plugged into the computer, why bother with a mobile phone at all? The computer can do everything a phone can do apart from portability, and can do most of it better, and you don't have to worry about the battery on a landline phone ;).
Yes, that's right. But when I'm on the road I need it (and at home). And for WhatsApp, files, docs, informations to carry with me, navi, etc. I have a landline phone. But if you wanted / needed to have an additional phone rate to be able to make calls in all telephone networks (like one might do with the mobile phone), additional costs would arise, I guess. And it might be easier to just have a single telephone number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones