• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why all Android phones feel a little laggy

Good read, it seems like Android should have followed a similar course to iOS regarding the UI. With that being said, I guess one note to take from this read is to stay away from the NVIDIA Tegra 2, is that true? Reason being is I am currently trying to decide between a galaxy 8.9 and a flyer. The 8.9 has a NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip while the flyer has a single core 1.5 GHz.

Upvote 0
That was a great read. Very informative. I couldn't follow completely everything when things got too technical, however, I got the main idea

I would love to have someone explain in the same fashion a few more things that I noticed about android.

1. Why does the system slow down with time? My droid X doesn't even closely run as fast as when I bought it. Plus, it's way more buggy and I get way more 'force close' errors now.
2. Why do so many android systems constantly restart at times?

Upvote 0
....I don;t get the whole buggy issue....sure iOS is smoother...but the lagg imo is hardly noticeable

I agree with you, but these forums would be a lot less populated if no lag (along with other issues) were perceived by many Android users. ;)

But I've never seen lag in any Android device I've owned, even though I've seen lag reported by a lot of other users of the same devices (Eris, Fascinate, Droid 3, Galaxy Tab and X2).

I think it's partially perceptual, and that can be influenced by a lot of different things, not the least of which is computer/laptop use, and perhaps if an iPod and/or iPhone had been used past or present. We tend to base our perceptions on what we've just experienced.

Plus, and this may be the "biggie," we don't all configure our devices the same way. I know people who run two or more news/weather widgets, along with all the (moronic, imo :p) "social networking" syncing junk. Then we see long threads in the device forums calling the device "a piece of crap" because it's slowed down. :D

Upvote 0
1. Why does the system slow down with time? My droid X doesn't even closely run as fast as when I bought it. Plus, it's way more buggy and I get way more 'force close' errors now.
It shouldn't slow down. Most don't. Probably something you've installed is causing problems or possibly a hardware issue.
2. Why do so many android systems constantly restart at times?
They shouldn't. Most don't. Been using Android since the beginning, starting out with an early G1 and have had maybe 2 spontaneous restarts in all that time. Probably something you've installed is causing problems or possibly a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have a slightly laggy phone that can multi task than a quick one that only pretends to. . . And yer, changing the launcher makes things smoother, anyway. . .
I've not found lag to be a problem on newer devices.

Android's sorta-multitasking sucks. But not a bad as iOS sorta-multitasking sucks.

I've never found a launcher faster or smoother than stock vanilla Android. That said, I'm using ICS Launcher just 'cause I like it. Nothing wrong with picking another launcher or Sense or Motoblur - whatever - 'cause you like it. Just don't expect better performance than vanilla.

Upvote 0
Man I don't know how some of you guys are saying there's no lag. Every android I owned had a little of bit lag here and there. Nothing serious, just a couple of skipped frames with animations. Still noticeable though. Even with my tbolt now running cm7 (pure android), every now and then I see some jitters when switching between homescreens.

Upvote 0
Man I don't know how some of you guys are saying there's no lag. Every android I owned had a little of bit lag here and there. Nothing serious, just a couple of skipped frames with animations. Still noticeable though. Even with my tbolt now running cm7 (pure android), every now and then I see some jitters when switching between homescreens.

My phone does not lag, I've even got a 3D live wallpaper active and there is no lag.

Have you used a Galaxy S II?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones