• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do some apps have location access?

Crush_Buds

Nov 11, 2009
Why do some of the apps I have such as "Android Lightsaber" have access to "Your location: coarse (network-based) location" ?

I'm not really sure what it means. I know some have GPS such as the weather channel for obvious reasons. But what does it mean in an app like the lightsaber or eBuddy (a chat program) have it?

Hi Crush_Buds :)

1) Coarse Location is tracking via the cell phone towers triangulation , Wifi etc. Don't worry this can't pin-point where you are just gives an idea of the area

2) I would imagine it is purely for analytics's purposes to track how many people are using it, how often , and Approximate area {hence no need for pin pointing}. I could be wrong but this is why I think these permissions are their

Carl :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones