• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do youtubers hide or censor out applying thermal paste

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
"I'm gonna use the perfect amount of thermal paste" proceeds to edit part of video out or move camera
--Tronicsfix

"oops, gonna need to put thermal paste on that [moves camera where the user can't see the process]"
--Adrian's Digital Basement.

The term "the perfect amount of thermal paste" line is also used across the board, always hiding/censoring or making a joke about people seeing the process each time. Is there a joke/meme I'm missing or what? I don't understand. What if I am interested in building a PC and would like to see the process? I hate being out of the loop here.

Anyone who knows what they are doing would include it.

If they don’t, then my guess is that one of three things is going on.

One, they are just doing a build video (rather than actually building something intended for use) and don’t want to waste the paste.

Two, they are going to ignore safety precautions and will spread it with an unprotected finger.

Three, they themselves don’t know how much to apply, how to apply it, or both, so they don’t want to be ridiculed.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
This is everything you need to know about thermal paste, straight from the horse's mouth, Intel.

The "perfect amount of thermal paste" I think is one of those stupid YouTube shticks. Like the belief that one must change all the caps when doing electronics repairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatima Ansari
Upvote 0
My first learning experience was when I was mounting a heat sink to the processor and when putting the clamps down it oozed out onto the mobo.

It was not a mess until I tried to wipe it off ...

facepalm1

Like the belief that one must change all the caps when doing electronics repairs.

Not a bad practice if it is not a PIA to do so, kinda like changing the brake pads on a car.

Upvote 0
The only reason I could come up with was that they feared their comments section being inundated with 'that's not the right amount/that's too much!' and just avoided showing it, but that's the only logical reason I came up with. but that would be a more individual thing but it seems all YouTubers do it as if it's some sort of collective thing that I'm out of the loop with.

but hey I'm just some person living in 2023 with the mindset of someone from 1953 using a computer well over a decade old. What do I know?

Reactions: Davdi
Upvote 0
"I'm gonna use the perfect amount of thermal paste" proceeds to edit part of video out or move camera
--Tronicsfix

"oops, gonna need to put thermal paste on that [moves camera where the user can't see the process]"
--Adrian's Digital Basement.

The term "the perfect amount of thermal paste" line is also used across the board, always hiding/censoring or making a joke about people seeing the process each time. Is there a joke/meme I'm missing or what? I don't understand. What if I am interested in building a PC and would like to see the process? I hate being out of the loop here.
Because the internet loves to argue, and every redditor and their dog would flood the comments about how you're using the wrong amount. Even on Reddit, such images always generate floods of comments about how someone used too much, too little, didn't apply it right, and it happens with stunning and sobering regularity. Even when other channels have shown that barring something especially conductive being used and bridging vulnerable points on a given device, one can go ham and it would run fine. Ultimately, it's about having enough to fill in the micro-gaps between the component generating heat (cpu/gpu/etc) and the contact of the cooler.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones