• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't Google port over Chrome to Android?

Cudda

Mar 19, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Really now, why does this even have to be asked?

Instead, we get some generic browser that's nowhere near the quality of other 3rd party Android browsers, let alone Chrome for PC/Mac.

Isn't it a no brainer for Chrome to be the leading/default browser for Android? I just can't understand the reasoning for Google not porting it over.

Isn't it a no brainer for Chrome to be the leading/default browser for Android? I just can't understand the reasoning for Google not porting it over.
Pretty much anything's a no brainer when you aren't aware of the details. Porting isn't a simple task. You can't just click a button and port any desktop app over. There are a lot of considerations to factor in. Mobile devices are very different from desktops and laptops.

Upvote 0
Pretty much anything's a no brainer when you aren't aware of the details. Porting isn't a simple task. You can't just click a button and port any desktop app over. There are a lot of considerations to factor in. Mobile devices are very different from desktops and laptops.

I know it's probably not SIMPLE, but you'd think that this would be one of their priorities when developing Android. Chrome has a huge userbase and is still growing. It's also about using their own services and applications. Why wouldn't you?

The stock browser IS Chrome. It uses the same webkit, the same javascript engine (Optimized for mobile), etc.

It just has a very stripped down UI, for good reasons. To allow for more innovation. Most people are happy with a stripped down mobile browser. And, if you are not, you can easily replace it.

Why does the UI need to be stripped down. Ok, so you say it IS Chrome, just not named so. Why isn't it named Chrome then? There are plenty of features in the desktop app that are missing here, most notably for me, tabbed browsing, which Chrome for PC does very well. I know there are alternates, but it's a matter of wanting to use first party software whenever I can.

Upvote 0
Why does the UI need to be stripped down. Ok, so you say it IS Chrome, just not named so. Why isn't it named Chrome then? There are plenty of features in the desktop app that are missing here, most notably for me, tabbed browsing, which Chrome for PC does very well. I know there are alternates, but it's a matter of wanting to use first party software whenever I can.

The stock browser (at least on my Epic) lets you open new windows. Same thing as having multiple tabs open...

Upvote 0
Yes, it allows windows, however tabs is much easier and faster to work with. Do you use windows when browsing on your home PC?

Yes, because Alt+Tab to switch between multiple screens is easier in the mixed work I'm typically doing instead of Alt+Tab to go back to browser and then Ctrl+Tab to switch to a new tab, then back to Alt+Tab to switch to a new window. Multiple windows also allows quicker and easier switching directly from the task bar. With dual 24" widescreen monitors I could care less if it takes up more real estate that way.

I would HATE tabs on my mobile browser. Screen real estate, ease of use and readability are of the utmost importance when it comes to mobile devices. A zero border browser helps cut down on zoom and scrolling, giving you more screen to work with. Using the window switcher mode also allows multiple tabs/windows to be presented in a large, easy to read format with a much bigger clickable target for switching.

Upvote 0
But I wonder if Google simply decided they want the devs to have their day, and encourage more variety in the market. Instead, they'll work on system stuff that app devs cannot easily do, to enable more devs rather than compete with them.

I agree, I think google is more concern with building the best possible framework/api/services for developers to develop on than creating the best apps themselves for android. I'm sure if they want to create a full feature chrome browser for android, they can. But why waste time and resources in developing the app, when the point of android is to provide tools for developers to develop apps that are full featured and innovative.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones