• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why i bought the samsung galaxy S III

THE W

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2012
Detroit
bought mine off ebay. saved about $130. in the mail right now.

coming from an Lg motion which was an awesome phone and i would recommend it to anyone who wants premium performance for a bargain basement price.

i wanted the much bigger and better screen and the extra internal storage especially since i downloaded two 1GB games and its already filled up my internal space and there's no way to move apps to my Sd card. but this wasnt the thing that ultimately made me decide to take the plunge.

im on metroPCS and had my heart set on getting this when i started hearing rumors about it coming to metro back in july. it was set in stone that this would be my phone the day it came out.

this changed when the "Tmetro" merger was made official and i figured if we're gonna be merging with tmobile we'll have access to better phones down the line. i decided to skip this phone and wait for better things to come. the LG motion was a beast of a phone in its own right and i basically got it for free by flipping my connect and itouch.

recently, however, i started thinking about the specs of the S3 and these quad-core phones that are becoming the new standard these days. sure, people can pull out the benchmark scores and say this and that but just how much faster are these new quad-core phones compared to the dual US GS3 in a real world usage sense?

i searched youtube for some comparison videos of the US GS3 vs the note 2, nexus 4, and the optimus G. what i found was that the GS3 was just as good or fast at real world tasks such as apps, web, gaming, call quality, multitasking, etc as those quad-core beasts. the quads may have been slightly better in some respects, but only SLIGHTLY. i expected a much wider discrepancy in performance when having an extra 2 cores. same thing when compared to the GS3's quad-core international variant. there just wasnt that much difference in performance.

i know, i know, S-voice sucks and google now is way better. i hardly ever use voice commands for anything other than navigation and occasionally for texting. the non verbal voice command on my lg motion worked excellently for both tasks. i dont need my phone talk to me, but thats just me. everyone has their preferences and features they feel are important.

i dont expect this phone to be that much faster performance-wise than my Lg motion but i do expect a whole lot more capability.

i really believe the things most people do on their phones arent gonna push the processors that hard to begin with. as long as you have a snapdragon S4 or equivalent, you're gonna be able to do what you do efficiently no matter how many cores you have.

i see myself keeping this phone until metro's CDMA network is decommissioned in 2015. maybe then they'll come out with phones that will legitimately turn the S3 into a dinosaur. as of right now, it seems to be all hype for a slight upgrade in performance.

so...here i am. sorry im late.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones