• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I returned my Captivate for an iPhone 4.

I don't have either phone but I have compared them several times at different stores. I like the Captivates colors except for the blueish tint if whites especially in the browser. There has even been a few threads about the tint on this forum and the Vibrant sub forum. Do you not think think there is a blueish tint of whites when compared to the iphone4 in the browser?

Here is the one from the Vibrant forum:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-vi...whites-whites-have-gray-tone-anyone-else.html

Oh I notice the hint of blue.
Thing is, for ME, overall, the displays full of icons on the Samsung just flat POP OUT at you - the i4 is like subdued...

I have a feeling it might be their screen protectors...
Especially if I'm the only one noticing a wax-paper look of the screen!

T

Upvote 0
Do your phones really have screen protectors on them or were you busting? If they do, any chance you would take one off the compare again? I agree, the pop of the colors is nice.

Nope - they really do. Matter of fact, dude forgot to charge me, so I gotta stop off at the AT&T store on the way home tonight to pay :)

Once these are off, they're toast, and they're 2-for-$20.

However, I'll do ya one better, and take a pic of my Cappy, with the cheap 3-for-$10 screen protector, next to one of the i4's with the 2-for-$20 anti-glare screen protectors.

I'm emphasizing anti-glare, because the AT&T dude did.
They were out of the cheap 3-for-$10, and this was all they had, aside from a "mirror finish" one.

T

Upvote 0
Nope - they really do. Matter of fact, dude forgot to charge me, so I gotta stop off at the AT&T store on the way home tonight to pay :)

Once these are off, they're toast, and they're 2-for-$20.

However, I'll do ya one better, and take a pic of my Cappy, with the cheap 3-for-$10 screen protector, next to one of the i4's with the 2-for-$20 anti-glare screen protectors.

I'm emphasizing anti-glare, because the AT&T dude did.
They were out of the cheap 3-for-$10, and this was all they had, aside from a "mirror finish" one.

T

Thanks. Do you notice any deterioration of image quality/brightness with the ATT clear screen protectors for the Captivate? I'm thinking about getting them when I get my Captivate.

Upvote 0
I have both phone so Ill make a brief comment.

I wish all Android phones had a trackpad like the Nexus One,Desire and Incredible.

This is the problem with all AMOLED screen. It is called Pentile Matrix sub-rendering. Great for video, photos but horrible for text. I notice it as well but have in mind, it is the best implementation of AMOLED.
I'm curious as to which is your go to phone, or daily driver so to speak?

Can't wait for Andriod 3.0 Gingerbread. Will definitely give Android another shot. I really miss the 4" screen and swype keyboard. Maybe I'll sell my iP4 when the next gen of android phones come out. The good thing about Apple products is that they hold their value very well.

Upvote 0
Does anyone here remember how bad the iPhone was when it first came out.... it was way worse than this. Apple has had 3 years with this OS, it better be close to perfect.

Since manufacturers aren't building the OS anymore and relying on android there will always be an engineering disconnect between the device and android. This I suspect is the root of the issues with this phone.

As long as Samsung cares this device WILL get fixed up.

Upvote 0
How come I'm the only one who has a fully-functional iPhone 4? I love it, I'll consider myself lucky... I haven't personally met anyone with problems, though I hear all about it on the internet. Almost everyone I know that has one has had the antenna problem (except my boyfriend and I). Oh well, I don't care, I love my iPhone 4

That's the way it should be - not someone else's opinion, but your own!

T

Upvote 0
Better question: why did you register on an Android forum to post about an Apple product?

:D

probably to promote the link in his signature to promote a colon cleaning product. yay!

regardless: and im not saying anything against the OP specifically but just truely inquiring. why is it that on these boards (and other android specific ones) there seems to be so many posts about people returning or leaving their device. im not wondering why people return it, but rather why they post they are returning it. I see that the OP indicated its to warn others, but its just different to me than with apple.

I actually returned my iPhone 4 to get the captivate, and im happy, but thats not the point of this post, when i left behind my iphone, i immediately removed apple blogs from my feed reader, and deleted bookmarks for Apple forums. I didnt actually make a post about it, no one missed me and i didnt miss them.

Again not attacking OP just commenting, sorry if its coming off that way. Also from what i can see quite a few of the negatives in this post are either also apparent on the iphone 4, or are possibly issues with a bad device. so pointing out issues that may be due to a bad device and labeling it as "tips for future buyers" may be a disservice, it would be like me claiming that one of iphone 4's major issues was that it couldnt power on at all (an issue with the first iphone 4 box that was opened at the retailer for me)

Upvote 0
probably to promote the link in his signature to promote a colon cleaning product. yay!

regardless: and im not saying anything against the OP specifically but just truely inquiring. why is it that on these boards (and other android specific ones) there seems to be so many posts about people returning or leaving their device. im not wondering why people return it, but rather why they post they are returning it. I see that the OP indicated its to warn others, but its just different to me than with apple.

I actually returned my iPhone 4 to get the captivate, and im happy, but thats not the point of this post, when i left behind my iphone, i immediately removed apple blogs from my feed reader, and deleted bookmarks for Apple forums. I didnt actually make a post about it, no one missed me and i didnt miss them.

Again not attacking OP just commenting, sorry if its coming off that way. Also from what i can see quite a few of the negatives in this post are either also apparent on the iphone 4, or are possibly issues with a bad device. so pointing out issues that may be due to a bad device and labeling it as "tips for future buyers" may be a disservice, it would be like me claiming that one of iphone 4's major issues was that it couldnt power on at all (an issue with the first iphone 4 box that was opened at the retailer for me)
Well both devices have their flaws. The iPhone 4 has the reception issue and proximity sensor issue. MY Captivate also had these exact same issues and then some. The point of my post is to inform readers who are considering buying the Captivate over the iP4, possibly because of the iP4's issues, that they should not expect that the Captivate to be without issues. This is just MY personal experience with the phone. I edited my first post to clarify that. I hope that everyone who reads this thread isn't going to think that all Galaxy S devices will have issues that I have posted.

I understand why you left all of your connections to Apple, but I do not want to part with Android quite yet. I am impressed with what it can do and am looking forward to it's next release (Gingerbread). I will continue to visit this forum as I am still considering a purchase of the next generation of Android device.

Upvote 0
I'm curious as to which is your go to phone, or daily driver so to speak?

My daily phone is the iPhone 4. I need for my work. Android does not support Cisco VPN YET. I was using the cappy for a solid four days but

I had a meeting today so I had to take the sim (micro sim with adapter) and pop it back into the iPhone because I had a demo w/ a client who needed to see some HTML5 stuff and again, Android doesn't do HTML5 yet. I also needed to login to my work via VPN.

But tonight, I pop the sim back into the Cappy because I downloaded some .wmv files....

I also use a Droid Incredible but if I had my choice, I'd narrow it down to an IPhone and a Galaxy S phone (hoping the Verizon version hits soon).

Upvote 0
I here what you are saying, I truly do, but you may want to check out the Apple web site Communities for the iPhone 4. You will find more of your complaints in there for the iPhone, just like you had for the Captivate. It basically boils down to this, for both phones. They are brand new and they need time to work out all of the kinks. When ever you buy the cutting edge products, right out of the gate, your suppose to be ready to deal with the issues. If you do NOT want to deal with them, than retain your old phone, wait 4-6 months and come back and purchase than. Not only will you be getting a better price point, but 99% of your issues will be resolved! Is Apple CSR Great, YES. But one must give Samsung a chance as well. The Galaxy line, is the Flag Ship line for the company. They will address and fix all of the bugs, but one needs to be patient and live with the little anoyances for the time being..

So why did I buy the Captivate and not the iPhone, heck I was coming from the original iPhone? Price, all about the big bucks. When I could buy the Captivate for $49.99 with a new contract, free activation, free bluetooth headset, free shipping, heck how could I not buy it, LOL!

Good Luck.

Gunny

PS: Don't forget most of us buying this phone and the iPhone have 30 days to decide if you like it and want it for the next 2 years. If you don't want it before 30 days elapses, than simply return it and move on to something else.

Upvote 0
I had a iPhone 3G for 2 years, moved on to the iPhone 4 for a month, took that back and now I'm on the Captivate.

I took back my iPhone 4 because of dropped calls but mainly for the proximity sensor issue. Even with the bumper I was still getting dropped calls.

This is my first Android phone so I'm still getting used to it but so far I have really no complaints. Some of you shock me when you complain about a 1 SECOND delay when opening a app or doing something else. Is 1 second really that big of a deal?

I get some lag here and there with the Touchwiz but its nowhere near as bad as my old iPhone 3G had with the 4.0 update. Now that was horrible! So when lag does happen on my Captivate it's not really an issue for me. Coming from IOS I dont think Touchwiz is all that bad but then again this is my first Android phone so I haven't really played with any other phone.

The screen is gorgeous on the Captivate. Text is better on the iPhone 4 but overall I think the screen on my Captivate is a better screen.

My GPS locks on pretty quick but it still has some bugs. I don't use it very often but I can see where you power users would get frustrated as it is not terribly accurate.

Lastly, this may sound dumb but I was tired of seeing everyone and their mothers have and talk about their iPhones. I felt like a sheep. Foolish I know but I just felt like I had to break out and try something new.

Captivate and Android are definitely making me happy.

Upvote 0
I had a iPhone 3G for 2 years, moved on to the iPhone 4 for a month, took that back and now I'm on the Captivate.

I took back my iPhone 4 because of dropped calls but mainly for the proximity sensor issue. Even with the bumper I was still getting dropped calls.

This is my first Android phone so I'm still getting used to it but so far I have really no complaints. Some of you shock me when you complain about a 1 SECOND delay when opening a app or doing something else. Is 1 second really that big of a deal?

I get some lag here and there with the Touchwiz but its nowhere near as bad as my old iPhone 3G had with the 4.0 update. Now that was horrible! So when lag does happen on my Captivate it's not really an issue for me. Coming from IOS I dont think Touchwiz is all that bad but then again this is my first Android phone so I haven't really played with any other phone.

The screen is gorgeous on the Captivate. Text is better on the iPhone 4 but overall I think the screen on my Captivate is a better screen.

My GPS locks on pretty quick but it still has some bugs. I don't use it very often but I can see where you power users would get frustrated as it is not terribly accurate.

Lastly, this may sound dumb but I was tired of seeing everyone and their mothers have and talk about their iPhones. I felt like a sheep. Foolish I know but I just felt like I had to break out and try something new.

Captivate and Android are definitely making me happy.
I would highly recommend trying Launcherpro Beta. It's LIGHTYEARS better than Touchwiz.

And I hear you on the "upgrading" of the 3g to iOS 4. What a joke. I could type an entire paragraph before anything showed up on the screen. I went straight back to 3.1.3 after a few days of the torture Apple calls iOS 4 for the 3g.

So I assume I still have 30 more days after I receive my iPhone 4 to choose if I want to switch back to the Captivate? If the GPS fix and Froyo comes out I seriously may consider switching back.

We'll see how a jailbroken iPhone 4 compares.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones