• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why is the n1 worth my hard earned money of $530??

There are plenty of threads addressing the features of the N1, so I'll ignore the why. :)

$530 sounds like a lot of money for a phone only because people are so used to the cell phone companies subsidizing their phones over a contract period. Phones aren't cheap, and google/t-mobile aren't playing games hiding the real cost from you, and I appreciate that. If you want it cheaper right now, you can pay $180 and sign a 2 year contract for $20 more per month than the plan costs for an unsubsidized phone. You'll end up paying $660 for the phone that way.

Upvote 0
It's worth your hard-earned money because it doesn't rip you off and force you into an expensive contract.

Go do some research, you silly American.

This is why I chose the N1 over an iphone. The resale value is very good on ebay if you decide you don't like it, and since you have no contract, you can switch phones or carriers if you're ever not happy.

Upvote 0
Because you can't assemble your own smartphone whereas you can assemble your own PC. Brand-name pre-built PCs are idiotically expensive and come loaded with bloatware, a mandatory warranty fee, and so on. Also, my custom-built average-ish gaming PC cost me $570 roughly--and that's without a monitor, since I used my old one. If you're talking about a piece-of-shit office PC, then sure, it's cheaper than a high-end smartphone. If you want a PC that can actually run things, then... no.

PS3s are outdated. Compare the price of one at release to the price of the N1 now would be much more sensible. And remember, a PS3 doesn't function by itself. Care to factor in the cost of your HDTV? (Unless you connect your PS3 to thin air and it still lets you play games, I mean.)

Oh, and there're budget smartphones. The N1's not one of them, but even then it's not expensive for what it is.

Upvote 0
What I don't get is, why are cell phones, even smart phones, the same price or sometimes more money than a PS3 or a desktop?

miniatures often command a premium price, cause there's great cost in design and build of smaller components. the smallest full featured notebooks (sony vaio t series for instance) command much greater prices than full size machines, just as laptops cost more than an equivalent desktop.

the N1 is really a miniature computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones