• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why isn't the battery life impressing me?

Whoa!!!!!! i don't know if this is it or not but I did find something. I have two twitter apps. The stock HTC one i use for my work account. Just went into it and saw there was "Allow twitter to use your location" checked off. But i manually update it. i don't have it auto syncing. We'll see if that was it (doubt it)

Upvote 0
Thanks. this is the stuff i don't understand or should i say "good at".

I did stop them both. But like you said I want to see what starting them.

Under "running" now they are both still gone. But in my Batt usage it still shows up with a non-ghosted out "X" next to it. Some of the things using battery have a ghosted "X". the only other one that doesn't is my twitter app called Plume. Maybe it's that? I don't know what the ghosted or non-ghosted X's mean.

See i told you i wasn't good at this stuff.... thanks again

A ghosted out X is a service that cant be stopped without intent. Meaning you have to go to the Apps Tab and intentionally stop it; it keeps services and other programs from accidentally being stopped. My handcent and several others services I have show up similarly.

What I am expecting to happen is your %used should go down as the day progresses (indicating it no longer runs and its overall % remains even) as the service is terminated. I have yet to figure out what launches Maps. I was never able to find it out on my Dinc either.

I have noticed that when I launch programs that use GPS, it tends to show back up (like Google Play downloaded weather program). So maybe when the GPS is tickled, it spawns the Maps app...just spit balling.

Upvote 0
Whoa!!!!!! i don't know if this is it or not but I did find something. I have two twitter apps. The stock HTC one i use for my work account. Just went into it and saw there was "Allow twitter to use your location" checked off. But i manually update it. i don't have it auto syncing. We'll see if that was it (doubt it)

Possibly.

Monitor and let us know. I bet GPS use spawns the Maps app. Again, a hunch not a fact.

Reactions: wedgemoose
Upvote 0
That was it Bearcats!!!!!! My HTC Twitter app was the cause. Once I unchecked it my Maps was gone all day yesterday. And today it's there but only at 6% (which is probably for weather or something like that)..

I still don't think that was my 'Mall problem' but it doesn't hurt to NOT have maps using over 50% of the battery

And thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it. You didn't have to do that. And I wouldn't of figured it out without you pushing me. Thanks again

Upvote 0
That was it Bearcats!!!!!! My HTC Twitter app was the cause. Once I unchecked it my Maps was gone all day yesterday. And today it's there but only at 6% (which is probably for weather or something like that)..

I still don't think that was my 'Mall problem' but it doesn't hurt to NOT have maps using over 50% of the battery

And thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it. You didn't have to do that. And I wouldn't of figured it out without you pushing me. Thanks again

Glad you got it worked out! :D

And for theory sake, if you launched something in the mall and it launched the maps in the background and the GPS couldn't get a lock...you could chew battery quick. So I think you did find your issue.

Here is to happy battery life! :pepsi:

Upvote 0
If you guys don't run Maps all that often (for actual point to point navigation), you can go to Settings\Apps\All\Maps and clear the data, stop the service and then disable it.

I did this with all the Amazon garbage that was constantly running in the background.

And I dont think its a problem with the phone. I think its a problem with the linked software. I don't do Facebook or tweeting on my phone. I have those functions disabled and my Maps never runs until I use my GasBuddy app. I truely believe other apps start Maps and there is a memory leak.

Upvote 0
If you guys don't run Maps all that often (for actual point to point navigation), you can go to Settings\Apps\All\Maps and clear the data, stop the service and then disable it.

I did this with all the Amazon garbage that was constantly running in the background.

And I dont think its a problem with the phone. I think its a problem with the linked software. I don't do Facebook or tweeting on my phone. I have those functions disabled and my Maps never runs until I use my GasBuddy app. I truely believe other apps start Maps and there is a memory leak.

You might be right, but I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so I'm not sure what starts Maps for me. Might be my weather widget since it uses location data. I don't know.

Upvote 0
You might be right, but I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so I'm not sure what starts Maps for me. Might be my weather widget since it uses location data. I don't know.

I use the HTC sense weather widget on home screen and another one called Fox19. While I would suspect they could start maps, they dont appear to have done that on mine. I have not disabled maps.

I also only have stand alone and google location on. I have verizon location off in the location/gps section.

Upvote 0
Could it be Google Now that's causing it? edit: Google Now uses Location History from Google Maps to track where you've been, to provide more useful cards

You could try unchecking everything in Google Maps Settings -> Location settings.

I don't know if it would be causing that much battery drain, but I do know my battery's been improved since I did that.

Upvote 0
On a slightly different note, what is the best battery monitoring/energy saving app out there. I've looked at a couple but honest, they don't see to do anything different than what you can do yourself by selecting the energy saving options in your settings.

Well juice defender is probably the most widely used. For monitoring I use GSAM, I find it excellent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones