• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why isn't there an option for custom ringtones

Firejaz

Lurker
Nov 2, 2017
The Phone ringtone list does NOT include an ability to add optional ringtones. I'd like to assign different songs I've downloaded to various phone contacts. I've done this with all the HTC and Samsung phones I've owned in the past. Any idead whether this is a Pixel 2 issue or an issue with Android 8.0?

This actually seems to be an issue with the version of 8.0 which ships on the new Pixels, as well as the 8.1 beta on other device. The interface for selecting a ringtone has changed, and there's no longer an option to select a custom ringtone. I can only assume that this is an oversight; I'd recommend using the Send Feedback option in your device's Settings menu to make sure Google is aware of this.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Create a folder called /sdcard/Ringtones and stick a copy of the files you want to use as Ringtones in there. Then they are available to the ringtone selecter.

/sdcard/Notifications also works for custom notification sounds.

I think these have been part of the default search paths for ringtones/notifications for many years, possibly for as long as Android has been around.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones