• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no optical?

Probably because the trackball isn't completely out of style yet..

and as far as the optical trackpad.. the phone is already touch screen.. so I would imagine the trackball probably provides a slight bit more precission when clicking small links or something than the trackpad or your finger if its a small link... I haven't used alot of either.. but, the trackball seems to be a bit more precise.

Upvote 0
Excel boxes?!?! If you can get excel on the nexus you must tell me!:eek:

+1 - I use it once in a while for moving the cursor through a text box to correct spelling, but for the most part, just a big notification light. :D

I never use the trackball. As far as I'm concerned, it's a giant LED for message notifications.

QuickOffice =)

Upvote 0
Why does the N1 have a dirty, crumb-catching trackball instead of the optical trackpad which seems to be taking over lately? What a bad design flaw, as anyone with a Blackberry will tell you.:mad:

i've used the incredible, and trust me, the optical sucks!! the trackball is so much better for me. its more sensitive, it moves the cursor much faster, and its much more accurate.

the optical trackpad is literally close to useless when i've used it. trust me, enjoy the trackball while you have it, its really much better to use.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Maybe the people at google sat around and thought about it before they built it and asked each other "Trackball or no trackball?" The majority said trackball and history was made. :D:D:D
Seriously though i use the trackball all the time. They put it there for a reason besides looking cool when it lights up.( It does look cool i know, i know lol ) It comes in handy all the time for stuff,mostly typos:p

Upvote 0
At first the trackball was a deal breaker for me because I thought it would stick out too much or get caught on things, which in hindsight doesn't make too much since because... well it's a ball. I was checking out my friend's and saw that it lit up, and I was sold. Also, there are no good android at&t phones out yet, and to me the captivate is unattractive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones