• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

martypants

Lurker
Jun 2, 2011
I haven't found a reason yet to root my phone. What will I be able to do with a rooted phone that I couldn't before?

Can I get a few pros/cons as to why I would or wouldn't root my phone? Being all geeky and doing it for the fun of it is ok, but that doesn't last very long.

1st of all, as long as you can't find a reason for yourself to root the phone, you shouldn't do it.

Personally I'm using a few apps which require root to work. Titanium Backup or Root Explorer for example. But if you don't use any of these apps, there is absolutely no reason to root your device...

Upvote 0
Improve battery life by installing CPU Tuner.
Adjust the battery profile in different modes. eg during screen off / sleep the default is 'power save'. Change this to 'extreme power save' and you see an amazing change in battery life.
THis is unless youre on your phone the whole time in which case you probably wont.
Also getting rid of some of the stock apps which just take up space is a nice feelign as well..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones