• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why use another Launcher?

Kairosgrammy

Jun 14, 2010
I am not a techy kind of person but I'm not totally untechy either. I have been a smartphone user for awhile. Have had a bb 8900, 8530 and htc hero. As far as locking or unlocking a phone and such like, forget it. I'm not even sure I understand it and even if I did, I'd probably make a permanent mess of my phone. Nor do I have the ability to design apps etc.
A month or so ago I became the proud owner of an htc inspire 4g and really love it a lot. I love the ability to customize so that even if I have the same phone as the person next to me, my phone is different then theirs is. Even better, it is quicker than my hero was. :)

So having introduced you to where I am at technically, here's the question. I have noticed many of you use launcher pro, go launcher, adw launcher etc. Do you have these for more customization or does it make your phone run more efficiently. What are the advantages, disadvantages to a launcher program? Which one is really the best?

I use lpp. It adds more customization and to me it seems to run smoother. I like lpp cause the widgets remind me of htc sense. The dock bar is customizable so it can be scrollable and hold 15 apps/shortcuts versus the sense dock bar which is just phone, app drawer and edit.
Also I like how lpp has a hidden app drawer to hide the att bloatware om not using. I haven't decided to root yet so hiding it is the next best option.

As far a which is better its a matter of personal preference. I say try the free versions of each until you find the one you like best. Top on my list though is lpp, adw and then go.

Also make sure you get home switcher for froyo this will make it easier to go back to sense if you need to.

Upvote 0
Do you have these for more customization or does it make your phone run more efficiently.

Yes.

Each launcher has a different feature set and options and you will find users squarely in one camp or another. I've got ADW EX and LauncherPro and Zeam Launcher and each one makes the device they are on more customizable and therefore (because it woks more efficiently for me) better performing.

On my Nexus One I have ADW EX as my default launcher. It's particular feature set works best for me as my day-to-day phone. On my Captivate I have LauncherPro mainly for the included widgets and Zeam on the Nook Color for the streamlined launcher functions will negligible performance impact.

Which is best? The one that works best for you. You may just have to try them all.

EDIT: What she said (you beat me to it, 2many.)

Upvote 0
Is LPP the name of the app? If not, what is lpp and acronym for? (edited to add) You said it reminded you of htc sense. Inspire is htc with sense. Would I want a different launcher program?
I use lpp. It adds more customization and to me it seems to run smoother. I like lpp cause the widgets remind me of htc sense. The dock bar is customizable so it can be scrollable and hold 15 apps/shortcuts versus the sense dock bar which is just phone, app drawer and edit.
Also I like how lpp has a hidden app drawer to hide the att bloatware om not using. I haven't decided to root yet so hiding it is the next best option.

As far a which is better its a matter of personal preference. I say try the free versions of each until you find the one you like best. Top on my list though is lpp, adw and then go.

Also make sure you get home switcher for froyo this will make it easier to go back to sense if you need to.

Upvote 0
EDIT: What she said (you beat me to it, 2many.)

I'm quick like a ninja on ice.

Is LPP the name of the app? If not, what is lpp and acronym for? (edited to add) You said it reminded you of htc sense. Inspire is htc with sense. Would I want a different launcher program?

Lpp=launcherpro plus

I like how the widgets remind me of htc sense. It's like taking sense and making it more customizable. If you want to try something none sense like I would give adw a try. But in end
LPP won me over with the widgets. I liked sense but didn't like how I couldn't change the dock bar or how the screen transitions from one to another with lpp I can change the dock bar and add what I want and change how the screen moves from one to another when i swipe (has flip, rotate, cube and some other transitions)

Reactions: Kairosgrammy
Upvote 0
I use Go Launcher. It's free and very full-featured.

For me, it has so many advantages over the stock home page/launcher that it would be difficult to list them all. Here's a few:

Scrolling is much smoother and quicker

Customizable number of apps showing on each screen:4x4,4x5,5x5 etc.

App Drawer: Customizable as above, plus the ability to hide apps so the ones you don't use (and can't delete, like those that came with the phone [bloatware] aren't visible and don't take up space. Within the app drawer you can rearrange apps, create folders, delete apps, close apps, see which apps are running, scroll either vertically or horizontally, change the background, and more.

The Dock (bottom of screen where the app tray and phone icons are): Go Launcher puts 5 icons there, fully customizable to anything (programs, shortcuts, etc) you want. And if you want, you can scroll the dock to the left and right to get 5 more icons with each scroll, up to 15. As now, if you tap the icon, the program opens; but you can set it that if you swipe up on one of the dock icons, it will open a different program. Plus, you can change the actual icons to create a theme.

Instead of the 3, 5, or 7 panels of the home page that comes with the phone, you can have from 1 to 30 panels.

If you swipe up on and home panel, you get a screen that shows all the panels. In this screen, you can move panels, select a home panel, add or delete panels, and tap on a panel to go directly to it. Swiping down on any panel will return to the home screen panel.

You can resize any widget.

You can rename any icon.

Don't like the took of a particular icon? Easy to change.

Much, much more

Go Launcher is completely free, and the other two have both free and paid versions. Try one and play with it.

Ron

Reactions: MsL
Upvote 0
Keep in mind, if/when you switch to a different launcher, you won't have access to widgets that are specific to the Sense UI that comes packaged with the phone (you won't lose the widgets, they're still there if you switch back to Sense UI). So you'll find yourself tracking down alternatives.

For example, you'll most probably want to find a new clock widget. There are tons and tons of both free and paid widgets out there, and most of the paid widgets (like Beautiful Widgets) have a lite version for you to give it a try. Depending on your needs, you may also need to track down a Contacts widget, Calendar widget, etc.

Not trying to discourage, quite the contrary.

Upvote 0
Does adw or pro launcher have a way to hide apps?

I use Go Launcher. It's free and very full-featured.
For me, it has so many advantages over the stock home page/launcher that it would be difficult to list them all. Here's a few:

Scrolling is much smoother and quicker

Customizable number of apps showing on each screen:4x4,4x5,5x5 etc.

App Drawer: Customizable as above, plus the ability to hide apps so the ones you don't use (and can't delete, like those that came with the phone [bloatware] aren't visible and don't take up space. Within the app drawer you can rearrange apps, create folders, delete apps, close apps, see which apps are running, scroll either vertically or horizontally, change the background, and more.

The Dock (bottom of screen where the app tray and phone icons are): Go Launcher puts 5 icons there, fully customizable to anything (programs, shortcuts, etc) you want. And if you want, you can scroll the dock to the left and right to get 5 more icons with each scroll, up to 15. As now, if you tap the icon, the program opens; but you can set it that if you swipe up on one of the dock icons, it will open a different program. Plus, you can change the actual icons to create a theme.

Instead of the 3, 5, or 7 panels of the home page that comes with the phone, you can have from 1 to 30 panels.

If you swipe up on and home panel, you get a screen that shows all the panels. In this screen, you can move panels, select a home panel, add or delete panels, and tap on a panel to go directly to it. Swiping down on any panel will return to the home screen panel.

You can resize any widget.

You can rename any icon.

Don't like the took of a particular icon? Easy to change.

Much, much more

Go Launcher is completely free, and the other two have both free and paid versions. Try one and play with it.

Ron

Upvote 0
Keep in mind, if/when you switch to a different launcher, you won't have access to widgets that are specific to the Sense UI that comes packaged with the phone (you won't lose the widgets, they're still there if you switch back to Sense UI). So you'll find yourself tracking down alternatives.

For example, you'll most probably want to find a new clock widget. There are tons and tons of both free and paid widgets out there, and most of the paid widgets (like Beautiful Widgets) have a lite version for you to give it a try. Depending on your needs, you may also need to track down a Contacts widget, Calendar widget, etc.

sense analog clock is great. i really miss the sense widgets after i rooted....mail, calendar, etc...

Upvote 0
I did download a clock widget. I use calengoo (I think that's the name) already because I like it better than stock calendar with sense cause you can have the "to do" tasks and calendar events all on the same calendar. I fail to understand why android hasn't figured that out. That's the real advantage of blackberry vs. android is stuff like that. Nobody does organization better than bb I'm afraid. I've tried all three launchers except for zeam and I just don't know. I like sense but the fancy screen switches and ability to resize widgets and apps is cool. Doesn't Gingerbread have the ability to resize apps or is that a samsung feature?

Upvote 0
I know :) I like the ability to resize widgets/apps and the fancy screen shifts but I still haven't decided whether having those possibilites is worth it or not. I was quite content with straight htc sense until I started reading about apps and stuff.
I would like to point out that you don't need a new launcher...if the stock phone is working for you then stick with it

Upvote 0
I would like to point out that you don't need a new launcher...if the stock phone is working for you then stick with it

This. But ultimately it's entirely up to personal preference. I use Zeam as a launcher on my tablet because I think Touchwiz sucks balls. On my phone I use stock. It works. I'm happy with it. I have no reason to change.

Upvote 0
You are quite welcome. I'm rather curious by nature and never had a problem asking questions. I would probably try rooting but I'm too Chicken.
Thank you Kairosgrammy for posing this question - I was getting a tad bored with my phone and starting to research rooting (which is still a bit scary) so now I can hold off on that and try launchers.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
You are quite welcome. I'm rather curious by nature and never had a problem asking questions. I would probably try rooting but I'm too Chicken.

Me too on the curious - has gotten me into more trouble sometimes. :D

But I figured if I said I was getting a little bored then I'd get told to root. This was a nice alternative.

Upvote 0
I am curious, with paid apps are they charged to my phone account, or do I need to have a credit card number on file with the market?

Sorry. Probably should have started a new thread...

When you click purchase on a paid app, it takes you to a google checkout window where you pay for the app and complete the transaction. I'm not sure how many US carriers are using "carrier billing", I know with Sprint you can pay with your cell bill, but otherwise you'll need a credit card. What I usually do is go to a grocery store/walmart/etc, and buy a $25 - $50 pre paid visa gift card, then I attach that to my phone/google checkout, then I can buy the apps I want to purchase and never worry about much.

On topic: I love launcherpro Plus, and its what I use... mostly because of the widgets (I do love some of its other features too though). Some of the other launchers are very good, and they're all a little different, so in the end it comes down to personal preference... no harm in trying them and seeing what configuration you like best. I do know that you need to buy launcherpro Plus to be able to have the widgets, and the resizeable widget capability.

Upvote 0
When you click purchase on a paid app, it takes you to a google checkout window where you pay for the app and complete the transaction. I'm not sure how many US carriers are using "carrier billing", I know with Sprint you can pay with your cell bill, but otherwise you'll need a credit card. What I usually do is go to a grocery store/walmart/etc, and buy a $25 - $50 pre paid visa gift card, then I attach that to my phone/google checkout, then I can buy the apps I want to purchase and never worry about much.

On topic: I love launcherpro Plus, and its what I use... mostly because of the widgets (I do love some of its other features too though). Some of the other launchers are very good, and they're all a little different, so in the end it comes down to personal preference... no harm in trying them and seeing what configuration you like best. I do know that you need to buy launcherpro Plus to be able to have the widgets, and the resizeable widget capability.

The prepaid visa gift card is a great idea - never would have thought of that.

So far launcherpro is what I'm trying and I'm not sure I even want to try another launcher. I am using the free version but the resizing a widget looks like fun and some of their other widgets too. I have a feeling by the end of the day I'll have the full version.

Although feel free to chime in with fun features of the other launchers - I don't usually find all the really fun stuff until weeks or months later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones