• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-fi Error

A

Android Question

When I click on the wifi icon on the pull down menu, my phone usually connects to whatever network I have saved.
Starting last week, when I click on it to turn on the wifi, it will either (very seldom) connect without an issue, or attempt to connect and then just turn off the wifi again.
If I open up the settings and attempt to turn on wifi that way, it will just say Error. It will usually say Connected or Not Connected.
I haven't installed any new apps in over a month.
I googled it and tried a few fixes:
  • Turn off and back on.
  • Download Wi-fi Fixer app. (DL'ed, but all it seems to do is show the status of the wifi, not actually do anything.)
  • Dial *#*#526#*#* to reload the driver (when I put in the final asterisk, it closes the dial screen but nothing happens. It should say something down the lines of "Driver loaded successfully")
Not sure what to do next besides factory reset.
My phone is an HTC E9+ Dual SIM running Android 5.0.2. It is un-rooted, however I have no problem with rooting if it will fix this issue. I'm a bit reluctant to factory reset, as I can't connect to the internet (wifi is broken, I don't have 3G) so backup will be difficult.

Nuts, that's kind of contrary to how it should be. Well at least that more than likely rules out a hardware failure issue. With your phone running in it's typical, normal mode try digging through your Settings >> Application manager. Not just in the 'Downloaded' section but also the 'Running' and 'All' sections. Does anything look out of sorts? Also double-check your Settings >> Connections >> WiFi menu options for anything that might indicate a change since last week.

Upvote 0
Oops, I just re-read your original posting and you did mention you haven't installed anything in over a month. Sorry. That does make it even more odd that WiFi is working in Safe Mode only.
Have you tried connecting to any other WiFi network other than your home network since this problem started happening?

Upvote 0
When I went back to Normal Mode, Wifi seems to be working. Before, if I could get it to work, it'd only work for about 30 seconds to a minute.
I'm going on 30 minutes now and it's working.
I had read elsewhere that I needed to reload the Wifi driver by using that code i posted in the thread-opener, but couldn't get it to work.
Maybe Safe Mode reloaded the drivers?
Anyway, it seems to be working. I will post back if it stops again.
Thanks a lot for your time!

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones