• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Hotpsot - cannot connect HTC Desire/IPOD Touch

I'm using an HTC desire with Android 2.2 on a Vodafone business plan. To complicate matters, I am accessing the Vodafone network through a Suresignal femtocell.

Pleased to say that Mike53's advice of changing the WiFi channel worked like a dream. Thanks!

Using HTC DEsire on Orange and having no luck until pmj suggested the channel change. Changed from auto to Channel 1 and all functions! Thanks.
Using APN username as user and password pass by the way

Upvote 0
HERE IS A FIX FOR ORANGE TETHERING AND HOTSPOT thanks to roger_dodger and all that helped. I am NOT rooted (if I do root using that new program3 will I get regular software imporovements?)

From your homescreen;

Menu/settings/Wireless&Networks/Mobile networks/Access Point Names

You should see the following three APNs;

Orange Internet
Consumer Broadband
Orange MMS

(that "consumer broadband" one is the one I don't remember seeing before, but I may have been blind. If you don't have it, go ahead and {assuming it's a clean factory-issue Orange Desire obviously} Unrevoke your Desire!)

Select Consumer Broadband

CHANGE the APN from "consumerbroadband" to "orangeinternet"

CHANGE the Username from <Not set> to "Orange"

CHANGE the password from <Not set> to "Multimedia"

Make sure you use the capital first letters exactly as I've typed them there. Oh, and don't type the " marks. I'm sure if you're smart enough to use XDA-Dev you already know that, but no harm in stating it for the n00blets.

Authentication type should be set to CHAP. Make sure, I think it was anyway but just check.

Press your Menu button, tap "Save"

And that's it.

Switch on your "Wifi Hotspot" in your usual way, search and connect from your lappie, surf the bejesus out of those pesky Orange ratbags. Meanwhile your phone keeps its own connection side by side your tethered hotspot - that's what the "Orange Internet" settings alter, so don't mess with those.

Don't forget to use one of the WPA security methods of course, otherwise some cheeky knob-jockey will definitely enjoy your Orange account's data capacity right up to the hair.

Please press thanks button below if this works for you.

I just want to say a massive thanks for taking the time to resolve this issue for me. It worked as described and i am ever so happy! Thank you
icon7.gif

Upvote 0
I have just updated my HTC Desire phone to Froyo 2.2 but am having probs with wifi hotspot. I am trying to connect to it with my ipod touch and it detects the wifi signal and lets me connect but when I try going online with the ipod touch I have no luck has anyone managed this successfully? Thanks in advance.

HTC says that you will need the latest HTCSync on the computer for the mobile hotspot to work and that it will not work for deviced such as i touch or any device that does not have HTCSync. Which is so darn ******ed i cant even begin to express my disgust :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :thinking::thinking:makes you ask WTF HTC:thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
HTC says that you will need the latest HTCSync on the computer for the mobile hotspot to work and that it will not work for deviced such as i touch or any device that does not have HTCSync. Which is so darn ******ed i cant even begin to express my disgust :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :thinking::thinking:makes you ask WTF HTC:thinking::thinking:
I don't have any HTC software on this netbook and I got Wifi Hotspot to work fine with bh27's recommendation. :D

Upvote 0
Mine worked when 2.2 first came out on Orange but then didn't use it again. Today broadband was not working so I though "Let's use the old Hotspot thingy"

Phone can see computer and computer can see hotspot, says connected but no internet.

Changed the settings as seen in this thread and it's now working and allowing me to type this.

Many thanks although I can't work out why it worked last year with no settings changed.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
HERE IS A FIX FOR ORANGE TETHERING AND HOTSPOT thanks to roger_dodger and all that helped. I am NOT rooted (if I do root using that new program3 will I get regular software imporovements?)

From your homescreen;

Menu/settings/Wireless&Networks/Mobile networks/Access Point Names

You should see the following three APNs;

Orange Internet
Consumer Broadband
Orange MMS

(that "consumer broadband" one is the one I don't remember seeing before, but I may have been blind. If you don't have it, go ahead and {assuming it's a clean factory-issue Orange Desire obviously} Unrevoke your Desire!)

Select Consumer Broadband

CHANGE the APN from "consumerbroadband" to "orangeinternet"

CHANGE the Username from <Not set> to "Orange"

CHANGE the password from <Not set> to "Multimedia"

Make sure you use the capital first letters exactly as I've typed them there. Oh, and don't type the " marks. I'm sure if you're smart enough to use XDA-Dev you already know that, but no harm in stating it for the n00blets.

Authentication type should be set to CHAP. Make sure, I think it was anyway but just check.

Press your Menu button, tap "Save"

And that's it.

Switch on your "Wifi Hotspot" in your usual way, search and connect from your lappie, surf the bejesus out of those pesky Orange ratbags. Meanwhile your phone keeps its own connection side by side your tethered hotspot - that's what the "Orange Internet" settings alter, so don't mess with those.

Don't forget to use one of the WPA security methods of course, otherwise some cheeky knob-jockey will definitely enjoy your Orange account's data capacity right up to the hair.

Please press thanks button below if this works for you.

A year down the line I have just bought an HTC sensation on Orange and it had the same issues, this fixed it thanks again

Upvote 0
Thank you BH27.

I had only tried to WiFi teather my phone for the first time yesterday with my girlfriend's laptop, and only then found it didn't work. Thanks to this forum and BH27, I had it sorted within 30 mins.

It's poor of Orange that they broke it, and didn't feel the need to fix it. I won't ever go with Orange again, not just for this, but they don't seem able to provide the service they advertise.

If it comes to the Desire, I wonder how long it will take Orange to release Gingerbread.

Thanks again BH27.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones