• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Hotspot: "No Internet"

I've been trying to bring up the WiFi Hotspot on my Exhibit II but get "no internet" reports from the connecting device.

I follow the book procedure to activate the hotspot:

1. Turn WiFi off

2. Make sure the data network is activated: Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Use Packet Data (checked)

3. Turn on the hotspot: Settings > Wireless and Network > Tethering and Portable Hotspot > Portable WiFi Hotspot Settings. Set the hotspot SSID name and security. (Tried both WPA & Open with no luck)

I can see the hotspot with my laptop and connect to it, but the connection reports "no internet." My laptop's WiFi troubleshooting utility reported that the hotspot had no DNS available. My guess is that the hotspot's DHCP server is either missing or inactive, and that the hotspot isn't issuing IP's to connecting devices.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

BTW: my network connection is T-Mobile 4G.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom in Seattle

This phone comes with a tether manager that prevents tethering unless you buy the plan from tmo. Root your phone (guide in all things root, and its very easy) then uninstall with titanium backup. Now you're good to go. I've tethered my phone to my Xoom and my daughters iPod touch with no problems.

Thank you, Mitchell. I was afraid that might be the case (a T-Mobile lockout). It's nice to know that there's a relatively simple solution. Well, relatively simple, that is, if I ever get the courage to root my phone! :)

Best,

Tom

Upvote 0
I did it the same way as mitchell, but if you want to try something that doesn't require a root you can try this
Clockwork Mod Tether allows free Android tethering without the need to root! | PocketDroid
I have no idea if it works, I just saw some articles about it yesterday

Wow! I just tried this, and it works!

I haven't given it a thorough test to see if there are any unwanted side effects on either my laptop or phone, but on the surface, it works. I can start and shut down USB tethering. At a first glance, it looks like this is a simple solution for some quick Internet connectivity when you and your laptop are out of WiFi range.

A few of notes: As directed, I set my phone for USB debugging. And during the PC installation process, I didn't download the adb drivers, since I was already able to connect to my phone over the USB cable to download music and such. And it took a couple of tries, clicking Tether's Start and Stop buttons on my laptop, before the tethering operation started. But once it started, it seems that I can start and stop tethering cleanly on the first try every time. So if it doesn't work for you at first, give it another try or two.

Many thanks for this information! This routine does, indeed, provide the Internet connectivity I need without having to root my phone. (I might want to root it later for other reasons, but now I can defer that decision.)

Nice find!

Tom

Upvote 0
This phone comes with a tether manager that prevents tethering unless you buy the plan from tmo. Root your phone (guide in all things root, and its very easy) then uninstall with titanium backup. Now you're good to go. I've tethered my phone to my Xoom and my daughters iPod touch with no problems.

Once rooted and rid of Tmo's tether manager, do you need another app to make the hotspot functional, or can you just change the settings and go?

A newbie needs to know:)

Upvote 0
Once rooted and rid of Tmo's tether manager, do you need another app to make the hotspot functional, or can you just change the settings and go?

A newbie needs to know:)

Well, since I got brave and rooted my phone last night, I now consider myself an expert, able to answer your question. :)

I was able to bring up my hotspot by simply giving it a name, setting security, and turning on the hotspot. No other software required.

Have fun!

Tom

(Not really an expert :) )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones