• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI Hotspot without Mobile Internet

Ok, so this isn't really a problem but I thought about something.

When I turn off mobile internet and turn on WIFI Hotspot so that my computer can connect to my phone, it seems that the internet is still available for some programs. The mobile internet is definitely off. I can't update the weather on the phone or check my mail or use Market App however; I can use the internet app and i can use the internet just fine through my computer.

What gives?

Mobile internet is off but my computer and certain applications can still use it while other programs cant. Has anyone experienced this? I ask because I know my computer periodically uploads data. When I use wifi hotspot, i use it so that i can use my phone as a mouse pad. I don't want my computer draining my bandwidth on my phone's internet.

WiFI hotspot is designed to use your phones mobile internet. Thats what its for. You may turn it off which may effect some of your android apps, but WiFi hotspot will be opening it up again for your PC connection.

Maybe there is a better way to use your phone as a mouse.

There was, I could use bluetooth but it was only successful once. Now I can connect my bluetooth to my computer but the computer will not recognize it and immediately kicks me off. It worked only once. Anyways i need wifi hotspot because my neighbour locked his internet down and only allows my laptop to access the router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones