• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi "issue" blown out of proportion? Seems like it, how bout you?

Who elses wifi seems to be just as good as anything else you've used? So far I've been able to stream and download many GBs of HD video quite reasonably fast. I personally think if there even was an issue, the update fixed it.

Same, I have experienced no noticible decrease in wifi performance vs my laptop, xbox 360, ipod touch, ipad. Negligible difference IMO

Upvote 0
I just did that and I dont see a difference. With bluetooth on connected to a mouse I actually got faster speed... See screens... *edit just noticed speed test changed servers on me, that may be why there is a slight speed difference...

Attachments

• Bluetooth off.jpg
    Bluetooth off.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Bluetooth on.jpg
    Bluetooth on.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
My wifi is great with or without BT on. I even connected at work faster than my laptop and if you knew how bad the wifi signal at work is you'd be very impressed. I was. My GPS sucks but I'm using mt BT GPS receiver if I use my Prime for navigation. My external GPS receiver is 12 channels and better than any thing in any tap or smartphone today.

Upvote 0
I still do not see the value or practical function of a 10" tablet like this as a navigation tool. Seems a 7" tablet like the Flyer or View would be better as far as tablets. Both work great with GPS.

Good to know the wifi issues appear more theory based than real to the user :)

That said, the more I consider it, I will probably keep my Thrive and invest the $650 for a refurb Samsung 15" lappy with Q2630, GT525, 6gb, 750gb hard drive and Blu-ray :)

Same price and more function. If I did not have a few good tablets already, I would get the Prime & keyboard instead.

Still will probably get a Prime just to check out....

Upvote 0
turn on Bluetooth and you will notice a huge Wi-Fi drop off my speedtests get cut in half.

jd, This is the problem some have with your posts. Did you not read the several posts just before yours? These people have done the bluetooth/WiFi tests, and find no noticeable dip in speed. If you don't like the Prime, just return the darn thing and get something you'll be happy with? I think most reasonable people would choose this course of action.

Upvote 0
The test should really be looked at more closely when you start to go further 'away' from your wireless router/hub.
The reports I have read from those who have both the TF101 & TF201 clearly state as the distance increases between the wireless source and the TF101 & TF201 the TF201 looses the signal greater.

All I can reasonably compare it to is the OG iPad which I have now given to the wife, and my Epic 4G Touch. At the furthest point in my house I can get, my signal and speeds of the Prime equal or exceed that of the iPad, and while the speeds are consistent with the E4GT, my signal actually is stronger on the Prime. My Sammy never seems to have more than one bar of WiFi, but it doesn't seem to affect battery life or speeds.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
All I can reasonably compare it to is the OG iPad which I have now given to the wife, and my Epic 4G Touch. At the furthest point in my house I can get, my signal and speeds of the Prime equal or exceed that of the iPad, and while the speeds are consistent with the E4GT, my signal actually is stronger on the Prime. My Sammy never seems to have more than one bar of WiFi, but it doesn't seem to affect battery life or speeds.
Interesting Jack.... This goes against the reports I read.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones