• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi not in range! Geez!!

hiredgun

Android Expert
Jan 16, 2014
I know, I know, you get what you paid for, but I already bought the bargain basement Chinese Phablet, so the harm is done!! The problem I have is that even in the house, sitting right next to the router at times, it give me the "wifi not in range" message and won't connect. I've been researching on the net, and already tried turning the WiFi on and off on the Phablet, and turning the airplane mode on and off, and it doesn't fix it. Also tried restarting it several times and that doesn't work either. I've tried deleting my router from the list and adding it again, which doesn't always work and is a pain. The only thing that works for sure is turning the router off and on, which isn't always practical with a house full of people, lol, which leads me to this "fix." Found this on the net as a possible solution!!

"Open the Settings (Home key (usually looks like a house) > Menu Key (typically on the bottom of the phone on the far left next to home key) > Settings).
Tap Wireless and networks
Tap Wi-Fi settings
Press the Menu key
Select Advanced options
Tap Use static IP
Now the steps from here are going to depend on the wireless internet you are using, you might need to talk to whoever manages your wireless network, or contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This is the company you buy your Wi-Fi from NOT your mobile phone service from. You will need to enter your Wireless Networks IP address, Gateway, Netmask, DNS 1, and DNS."

The first problem I have is that I can't get the option to come up for the life of me to use static IP in the settings. I'm running 4.04, but I don't know if that is the reason. What does come up, however, in advanced settings is a MAC address and the IP address, and what I have noticed is that when I compare it to the IP that the PC gives me the last digit is different!! The computer gives me a "6" and the Phab gives me a "3." I don't know how much that hurts, but it can't help for sure, so I tried to change it on the Phab to match the PC and I can't figure out how to do that either. I long press it, but nothing. I know this has been kind of a long post, but the mods always say give as many clues as you can to your problem, so I wanted to cover everything, lol. I'd appreciate ANY help on ANY of these issues as it's a big pain not having wifi when you are sitting right next to the router!!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones