• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WIFI connection without internet access

TooTallBrew

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
Temporarily, I have my phone set to a static IP address with the intention of accessing a device that over WIFI. The device also has a static IP address. The WIFI that I have running isn't connected to the internet, that is what I want. My phone sees the WIFI, connects for a second, notices to internet access, then disconnects.

How do I force my phone to stay connected to a WIFI network that isn't connected to the internet?

The WIFI is up and running, my laptop connects just fine.
My phone won't stay connected.
As a troubleshooting set, I wanted to use my phone to view the devices web page.

I'm just a bit confuse on what you are trying to do. Use your phone to look at webpages on the laptop? Is the laptop locked down with a password?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I work with industrial controls. We have many ethernet enabled devices, all linked together with an isolated network, i.e. no internet access. Some of those devices have a configurable settings that have to be accessed with a web browser. Usually the laptop can browse those devices as necessary, most often a static IP address must be set. I found a device that the laptop doesn't like. I temporarily set my phone with a static IP address, connected to the my industrial WIFI. As soon as my phone realizes there is no internet access, it disconnects.
I headed down a troubleshooting rabbit hole that will likely lead me nowhere. I remain annoyed that my phone keeps disconnecting from my little WIFI network.

Upvote 0
Your descriptions have a convoluted mix of conflicting scenarios regarding your WiFi network. Apparently you may or may not have a local network that is or is not divided into with one restricted to only local access and the other will full access (local and Internet connectivity). On top of that confusing mix is there is or is not two different WiFi networks with the same connectivity arrangements.
Please clarify.
It sounds like there is wired only (Ethernet) network of workstations that are connected to a local network consisting of wired and wireless (WiFi), all managed and maintained by a controlled and monitored router. If the router is configured to only allow Internet access to only specified devices than you need to alter that to include your phone. Do you have access to the router's setup menus or do you need to contact an IT staffer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones