• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi Tether for Root Users problem (4th try come on someone help me!!)

Phone: HTC vivid running on at&T (rooted, stock ROM)

Ok my vivid is rooted finally and I have verified this with root check basic, and super user is installed. I installed WiFi Tether for Root Users and when I run it I get a "tethering started.. but with errors, please check log file message. I attached a photo of the log file screen that I get.

Attachments

• wifi error2.jpg
    wifi error2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 64
Try some different settings. Looks like it was trying initially to run as an ad-hoc network and couldn't. Some phones may support ad-hoc mode and some may support infrastructure/AP mode. Check what the current setting is, if it's ad-hoc change it to net-d master and see what happens. If you don't see this option try selecting a different type of phone until the menu changes and you have it available.
It's also possible your phone won't support it at all. Is it in the list of devices you can select?
If you have another phone available, run Wi-Fi Analyzer on it and you'll be able to see if the HTC is actually putting out a signal or not when you turn the tethering on. If there is a signal the analyzer will tell you if it's ad-hoc, this is important because many devices will not recognize a signal from an ad-hoc network and won't connect to it.
I've tried this app on my Optimus M+ and it will only work in ad-hoc mode, when net-d is selected it doesn't put out any signal. The same app worked perfectly on my old Optimus M in net-d.
Also bear in mind that even if you do get it working your carrier may not support tethering or may charge for it, and you'll either get a warning message or they will want to charge you more to use it.

Upvote 0
Try some different settings. Looks like it was trying initially to run as an ad-hoc network and couldn't. Some phones may support ad-hoc mode and some may support infrastructure/AP mode. Check what the current setting is, if it's ad-hoc change it to net-d master and see what happens. If you don't see this option try selecting a different type of phone until the menu changes and you have it available.
It's also possible your phone won't support it at all. Is it in the list of devices you can select?
If you have another phone available, run Wi-Fi Analyzer on it and you'll be able to see if the HTC is actually putting out a signal or not when you turn the tethering on. If there is a signal the analyzer will tell you if it's ad-hoc, this is important because many devices will not recognize a signal from an ad-hoc network and won't connect to it.
I've tried this app on my Optimus M+ and it will only work in ad-hoc mode, when net-d is selected it doesn't put out any signal. The same app worked perfectly on my old Optimus M in net-d.
Also bear in mind that even if you do get it working your carrier may not support tethering or may charge for it, and you'll either get a warning message or they will want to charge you more to use it.

"Also bear in mind that even if you do get it working your carrier may not support tethering or may charge for it, and you'll either get a warning message or they will want to charge you more to use it. "

I thought rooting took care of that? I Just also tried installing foxfi and using the mobile hotspot function on it and im pretty sure its broadcasting a signal because I can see a android hotspot SSID with my laptop/tablet but when I try to connect to it I get limited access or it just keeps trying over and over to obtain an IP address

Upvote 0
Rooting doesn't override any carrier-related restrictions. It may get it physically working on the phone if the carrier has disabled it, but when you try to use it they can detect the tethered connection. Depending on the carrier, it may just work or they may block it.
I tried FoxFi with the M+ and it would not work in AP mode, only ad-hoc. I tried to manually set an IP on the device I was attempting to connect and that didn't work either. The phone may just not support NAT routing, I don't know if there is a solution in that case.

Upvote 0
Sorry, mine "just worked" with FoxFi. But the page for the app says that HTC devices won't work in wifi mode. I know you were having problems with bluetooth mode before. I wouldn't even bother with bluetooth mode, myself. Maybe you'll have more luck in your post in the HTC Vivid section. Does the phone have multiple different ROMs available for it? I'm guessing one will have it where it "just works".

As far as the service provider finding out you're using it-- I wouldn't and don't worry about that in the slightest. Just don't use a crazy amount of data per month.

Upvote 0
foxfi.com

As stated in a few previous posts I have been successful in getting foxfi to work in the blue tooth connection mode on both my old phone and my new vived. BUT... only a few apps can see the connection (pdanet tablet edition) my browsers can see it facebook app can see it. but weather channel app and quite a few others tell me I do not have a connection

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones