• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi tethering and location

D

Deleted User

I've searched and googled, but haven't found anything about location issues when using wifi tethering. For example, I use the wireless router at home and location is correct. But when I tether the TF to my Nexus S for wifi while away from home, the location on my phone is also correct but the TF always shows as if I'm still at home, the cell network location info does not pass to the TF.
Is this a known issue or something I've overlooked?
Are others having the same issues?
:thinking:

And it never will. Tether is just data. You have to turn the GPS on for your Transformer to get updated location info. The tether will be used to propagate the map/satellite image, but not the location info.
I get that, except that my router seems to provides network location info for the Beautiful Widgets I have installed. I haven't tried it yet with another router and location, but it appears to work without using GPS.

Upvote 0
Yes, when you are at home, or connected to a free HotSpot site (McDonalds, etc) the TF will get location data for that WiFi spot because the location of that router is in one of the WiFi databases. Individuals and companies like Google have been "war driving" for years. The databases that have been created are pretty accurate since a routers transmission range is usually within 100 feet.

Cell phones and their programs like Beautiful Widgets have 3 ways to get location information. Via cell tower identification, GPS signal, or the WiFi databases. Of course our TF only uses the last two.

As you can see, as I drive around my Droid X picks up the cell towers and the WiFi routers I pass by. I don't even need to connect to the router. If I have WiFi on, and I pass within a router range, my phone reads the MAC address of the router, compares that with the database and says "I am here". Every once in a while I'll show a hit somewhere 100's to 1000's of miles away. I think that's because someone has moved from that location to my area, and the database hasn't been updated for that router.

283984359.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones