• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WiFi Tethering Restriction Bypass Virgin Mobile/Sprint (Work In Progress)

Curtis1973

Android Expert
Jul 1, 2012
Greenville,SC USA
Okay. Need testers. I have decompiled and edited services.jar and have successfully enabled tethering,but on my other device I am attempting to allow net connection the device just sits there never loading the page even though it is successfully connected to mine via wifi tether. It may be my device or I may need to edit more to get things right. But I think I am on the right path. Testers be sure to back up your services.jar so you can copy it back to system-framework after testing this one.

I need feedback.

Are you experiencing the same issue as I am as noted above? Or something else entirely? Or are you connecting ok?

I think i either have it and am having device issues on the other end...may be a net issue,or I need to refine my mod...

file below....rename to services.jar.. copy to system\framework via recovery then reboot.

i may not be back on tonight but will check back in tomorrow morning to see if anyone has had the opportunity to test. will make any edits needed once i get some feedback or figure it is the mod it self.

Attachments

• services.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Reactions: dvdavid888
Which parts does the services.jar modifications bypass? I know of three places that come into it... the build.prop edit (not sure what this actually does), the hidden menu that enables tethering to show up in settings, and the APN edit to turn on dun mode (although it's not clear to me that this would even need to be used this way, would be preferable to make the tethering traffic look like phone traffic).

Upvote 0
Which parts does the services.jar modifications bypass? I know of three places that come into it... the build.prop edit (not sure what this actually does), the hidden menu that enables tethering to show up in settings, and the APN edit to turn on dun mode (although it's not clear to me that this would even need to be used this way, would be preferable to make the tethering traffic look like phone traffic).

it bypasses the provisioning check in Network Tethering smali and turns it on natively.

i am using a sprint guide with an almost identical Network Tethering smali as that of ours. its from the g2 forums. they got the tethering working through sprint. virgin uses sprint as does boost. i think my issue is getting dun turned on with the mod or chameleon is getting in the way. the tether turns on and broadcasts out to devices..the devices connect fine...but thats where the hang up starts. the device has a connection but wont load any pages or anything else. something is missing that needs to be edited extra versus the basic sprint mode..

Upvote 0
Using this guide..which is NOT detailed. I had to take their first services.jar they got working...decompile it and find the actual smali the lines reference in the guide so i could find that same smali in our network tethering smali because the line entries are different but the smali code is identical...just in different locations...after finding the correct entries..i added the appropriate changes. and thats where we are right now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2584775

this is not a top priority for me..so it may take the back burner. but still am interested in native unrestricted tether versus using yet another app..

Upvote 0
Well after some tinkering. I did manage to get a connection established briefly. I used the build.prop tethering settings that obviously didnt work in build.prop and moved them to root\carrier\datas custom.prop along with my services.jar in place and got tethering working. so i then wanted to be sure that it wasnt just the codes working in custom.prop versus a combo of both the services.jar and custom.prop edits. i reinstalled stock services.jar along with the custom.prop edits..and lost connection again. so i went back to my services.jar with the custom.prop edits...never could get the connection to reestablish again.

will revisit this later.

Reactions: ShapeShifter499
Upvote 0
I've used the build.prop+shortcut master method on freedompop and as far as I can tell, it keeps working. But I've disabled a bunch of system garbage so maybe whatever would turn it off isn't actually operating, or there is a difference between carriers (freedompop as a general rule does the *bare* minimum it takes to make things "work").

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones