• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi tethering stopped working - unable to get IP address

jdaun

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
This is my first post here, and I'm an Android newbie so go easy on me :)

My phone is stock - it is NOT rooted.

I've been using the WiFi Hotspot functionality through Quick Settings for the past month or so. Light usage, no heavy downloads.

Worked great until yesterday, Sunday Apr 17. Now when connecting my PC to the wireless network, my PC says it's unable to get an IP address. So my wifi hotspot is no longer working.

Here are the detailed symptoms: When enabling the WiFi Hotspot in Quick Settings, everything looks normal - it says "turned on" in Quick Settings, and the blue hotspot indicator is lit up in the status bar in the upper left. So everything I see on the phone looks normal.

When I connect my PC to the hotspot, it looks it's connected, however when I try to use the connection it says it has limited or no connectivity. When I try to repair the connection on the PC, it fails while trying to get an IP address.

I have rebooted the phone and the PC multiple times, with no success.

I know Sprint pushed out an update to block wifi tethering a few weeks ago, could VM have done the same now?

Any recommendations (aside from rooting my phone, which I'm not too keen on yet)?

I'm on my wifi hotspot right now. Have you assigned the hotspot to a network type? Like Home Network, Work Network, Public Network, etc.

My laptop (Win7 OS) will not continue to the internet until the hotspot connection changes from Public Network (when it first connects) to Work Network (what I assigned it to). Sometimes it takes a minute for that to occur.

Upvote 0
I screwed around with my PC tonight. I re-entered my WPA password, and I was able to connect using the wifi hotspot.

Don't know what re-entering the WPA password did, but it seems to work now.

Another question - let's say Virgin Mobile does push out an update in the future to close the Quick Settings wifi hotspot backdoor ... would there be a way to avoid that update?

Upvote 0
I screwed around with my PC tonight. I re-entered my WPA password, and I was able to connect using the wifi hotspot.

Don't know what re-entering the WPA password did, but it seems to work now.

Another question - let's say Virgin Mobile does push out an update in the future to close the Quick Settings wifi hotspot backdoor ... would there be a way to avoid that update?

Yes just do not accept it,i would think when and if VM pushes out the 2.3 upgrade that patch will be in it,to more stop it,most users will want the upgrade making it easy to stop hot spotting the phone

Upvote 0
Mine stopped working the other day as well. In fact I heard my phone reboot, and thought maybe it was defective. Now I know what it was.

I have been unable to get the wifi hotspot to work now. I have tried the uninstall Quick Settings, then power off, power on, copied the apk onto SD with USB connection, then reinstalled. It had retained all the settings??

And it did not work (WPA2). So then I tried setting it up as "open", it still does not work.

Anybody figure out a solution yet?

Upvote 0
Not sure which information you wanted? here is the info on my phone.

Android version - 2.2.1
Kernel - 2.6.32.9
SW Version - VM670ZV4
Build Number - FRG83

that's the info I was looking for. I wanted to see if your SW Version was different. But it is the same as I have. so, the Quick settings app should work.

I would recommend uninstalling it then downloading it through the phone from the android market.

Upvote 0
are you saying that you couldn't connect to your wifi network with your phone after you used the Wifi for the hotspot? It's possible that you weren't using wifi all along....
I've had a the LGOV stick at obtaining IP when the password for my router was entered incorrectly.. once I re-entered the correct password it connected fine.

Wifi hotspot is the other way around. We are talking about using our phones as a wireless router so our laptops can connect to the internet via the 3G connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones