• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm a little scared from the video. But we all know it is an early android build, so we shouldn't judge. The one button issue is bad, but who knows what will change from the sample builds. atleast one button. (go-back button) will get you to where you want in a clumsy way.

Resellers are telling me that demand had been very high. I purchased mine for $185, plus shipping ($218) to Australia from jiongtang. That's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, but recently the price went up to $259 before shipping, so with a $75 increase (and still selling) you can imagine the huge demand.

So with a lot of these units floating around (being sold at huge margins), there will be strong motivation for Zenithink to get it right.

One thing I didn't include in the comparison is that this can do 1080P videos of most common formats, while the iPad does 480P well and 720P when encoded right, but with limited support on codecs.

If I was to choose an Android tablet now, it would be:

Zenithink ZT-180 as the high-end 10" tablet. This is very new and still t be tested. No idea what GPU or DSP is used.

WITStech A81-E for sold middle ground 7" tablet. This is based on TI chipset. omap 3530. So support for the android platform should be very good. CPU is the same type as the ZT-180, but clock at only 600MHz. There is no video ram, so it needs to use the 256MB RAM to pool video at startup. The c64+ DSP can do 720P video in some ways, but ends up similar to iPad in that it needs to be specific. You can get these for about $200.

Lower end I would choose a SmartQ V5. It's less than five inch, so it packs a lot of power considering it can output 1080P video to a TV over HDMI. Performance is still pretty good, but it suffers from a poor implementation of android 2.1 from telechips' software vendor. (SmartQ is not alone with this one). These are for about $170.

For ultra low end, I would go Rockchip 2808. These can be crazy cheap and perform extreamly well considering they have a 600MHz ARM CPU, plus 128MB for the CPU and video to share. Even with that, you can do a fair bit with apps (thousands of youtube clips showing this), and still be able to play 720P video over HDMI. These are about the same price as the V5, but should be cheaper considering what you get.

Upvote 0
Good news everyone!

Jiongtech have just released information on the newly received tablets.

SmartQ & SmartQV Chinese MP4 MID - ZT-180 A105

From reading the info, I can confirm that:
-CPU is read from WinCE as 958MHz
-Android 2.1 Update1 is pre-loaded
-Comes with the RJ45 adaptor.
-All videos are running (even the 1080p) except the 1080P and the 720P MKV has a "little delay". Not sure if that is, bad sync or just waiting for the movie to load.
-Benchmarks are included. The MIPS seem a bit low, but I have nothing to compare to. I thought normally, cortexa8 was 2 DMIPS for each MHz, (so this would be about 2000.) But the BogoMIPS comes up as 1006. But bogoMIPS and DMIPS are different measures, so who knows.
-The tablets actually look nice compared to the factory samples from before. (which were very ugly)

:)

Upvote 0
Hmm, the benchmark tool detects ARMv6, which is ARM11 and not CortexA8. This can mean that the CPU is either an ARM11 or we are using a benchmark kit that can't detect ARMv7.

Benchmarks are taken on Android Benchmark 1.03 application. Can people with other android devices record their scores and post here?

Just to compare...

Moto Droid.
GPU: 16:611174. CPU: 406.09937. Mem: 273.14468. FS: 80.05456
Zenithink zt180
GPU: 117.66863. CPU: 754.14746. Mem: 88.13871. FS: 26.766659

Upvote 0
New videos are up in the same youtube channel that shows it struggling with most 1080P video but handles most 720P video. But this is an early release on WinCE, the not so ideal platform.

Chinese users have been reporting on their experiences. Battery life seems to be 2.5 hours before the low battery notification came up. Zenithink engineers have responded saying that this is because of problems in WinCE and that it will not be an issue with Android. Let's cross our fingers.

Anyway, if you speak Chinese, ??????? ZT-180|Android|MID|????|????? - Powered by Discuz! is a nice community with current news.

And a quote from zenithink.

ANDROID optimization has been carried out in intense.
So after the official release of ANDROID, Updates from this forum will provide software and firmware. The firmware version will sync the latest official update. Please check back for updates.
We will continue to upgrade the firmware version, manufacturers will be striving for perfection.

Sounds very optimistic.

Upvote 0
OMG. What do you mean, forwarded on? Are you serious.

In anyway, there is no legal issue here. Apple has tried to sue over products using 'i' at the start of the product and failed, just like Nintendo will not be able to stop products using Wii at the start of their products. Microsoft will not be able to stop companies from using Windows and MS and I won't be able to stop people from starting their forum posts with OMG.

Upvote 0
Youtube videos. Unboxing and bootup :D

Oh wow, the WinCE version is a complete iPad clone. How embarrassing. ;)

From the videos, I got myself a feeling that WiiPad is better than iPad:D. I mean the aspect ratio of touch screen, instead of the performance. WiiPad seems to be 16:9 while iPad is 4:3. The widescreen ratio can give users better viewing experience.

Upvote 0
The examples I gave are exactly the same or even less because WiiPad is a product that does not copy Nintendo's product at all. Unlike the thousand other Wii clones that copy the look and feel.

WiiPad instead copies the look and feel of the iPad, where there is a precedence to sue. (i.e. Apple Vs. GEM). However, there must be a trillion Chinese MP4 / MP5 / phones / MIDs / UMPCs / Tablets that do the same thing.

Or even the dozens of new products each week that copies Nintendo's DS console and advertise it with a Picture of Nintendo galaxy on the front, or the ones that come full of Nintendo games from the Nintendo Entertainment System using the Famicon-on-a-chip that is being mass produced without being targeted for litigation.

Before you spam Nintendo's legal mailbox, maybe consider the legal justification.

Upvote 0
It's still a spam if they have to politely respond because you're affiliated.

From my experience, or atleast from American corporates. They send a c&d email to the "contact us" page on the Wiipad:Google android UMPC iPAD to be ignored. If they put a bit of effort, they will do a "whois" on the us domain and realise the owner has a Chinese address, therefore going into the "too-hard" bucket.

Rarely will they go any further, unless it is based on a patent; but if you're really lucky, maybe they will be intimidated into renaming themselves to WePad like they did in Germany.

Anyway, only in America. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones