• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Gingerbread fix the keyboard skipping?

Although it has been improved greatly, it still misses keys quite often. I chalk that up, however, to my typing speed. With the Moment, however, I never encountered any missed keys like I do on my Epic. There are also no missed keys on my daughter's HTC Evo Shift when I type on it at the same speed.

Slower typers will probably not notice a problem on the new GB ROMs.

Upvote 0
I recently rooted my phone, to anyone that hasn't I stopped being lazy and did, and it does wonders for the phone. Even though you feel you shouldn't have to, gingerbread is still going to bring bloatware, or maybe some problems.

Why not just suck it up? Took me almost a year. Syndicate rom does wonders for the one, everything is optimized, faster, the phone has no issues. Better battery.

But sorry, my original reason for posting on here was becaused the Impaled Speed Demon fix for the keyboard, that is included with the syndicate rom, has made me keyboard almost never miss a key.

Upvote 0
So, this fixed the stupid problem with the screen icons disappearing when you open and close the keyboard slide? How about the keyboard skipping letters?

Yes. This fixed the problem of the icons disappearing very well at first. After a while now, the icon lag has acted up a little but not near as bad as before. I have never had a keyboard skipping problem.

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm so glad I dumped this phone after an entire year of misery. I realize that the majority of Epic owners aren't having issues. I wasn't one of them. During my year, I had two Epics and both were miserable phones. The first one blew up after the first horribly botched Froyo OTA update was replaced by the "fixed version" of Froyo that was finally pushed OTA. The second one froze all the time, had major issues with the GPS no matter what I did, crashed often, had the skipping keyboard issue in a big way, and a key on the physical keyboard popped out for no reason when I opened the slider to use it a few weeks ago. My God, they still haven't finished the GB update for the Epic? Amazing... After my experience, I will never get a Samsung product (phone, television, dvd player, etc.) again. I don't care how wonderful the Epic Touch and GSII are, they are still Samsung phones and they are still subject to Samsung update (or lack thereof) madness. Updates on my Epic always seemed to create more issues without resolving the issues that they intended to fix. OK, I'm done... Rant over... I'm moving on and I'll stop pestering the Epic part of Android Forums... But honestly, this phone made me so mad, even though I'm happy with my current phone, I just can't let go of the resentment, anger, and frustration completely yet. It's been only a week since I ditched the Epic. Maybe it's too fresh. Anyway, it's not polite of me to come here and bitch when I don't own an Epic anymore. So, that's it. So long and thanks for all the fish! :D:p:)

Upvote 0
Did you at least get your phone rooted and a kernel flashed?

I guess it will all depend on whether Samsung deems it at something that needs fixing, and how long it takes for the gingerbread update to come out. I would personally just try the patch, and not wait on Samsung/Sprint to put out the update...

Hey icecold,
Excuse my lack of knowledge of rooting since I'm new to Smartphones. I have the Epic 4G which had been a total nightmare the first two weeks I had it and 3 exchanges because the techs could not fix it. Although somewhat more stable I was wondering what are the advantages of rooting the phone and if Gingerbread does come out, (something I really doubt will happen) will you have to bring your phone back to stock?

From what I've read about rooting it needs to be done on a PC but I only have Mac computers so even if I wanted to root I wouldn't be able to do so. So if you wouldn't mind, could you give me the advantages of rooting a phone and can you still run all apps, more stable and the obvious, the ability to run GB now. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm so glad I dumped this phone after an entire year of misery. I realize that the majority of Epic owners aren't having issues. I wasn't one of them. During my year, I had two Epics and both were miserable phones. The first one blew up after the first horribly botched Froyo OTA update was replaced by the "fixed version" of Froyo that was finally pushed OTA. The second one froze all the time, had major issues with the GPS no matter what I did, crashed often, had the skipping keyboard issue in a big way, and a key on the physical keyboard popped out for no reason when I opened the slider to use it a few weeks ago. My God, they still haven't finished the GB update for the Epic? Amazing... After my experience, I will never get a Samsung product (phone, television, dvd player, etc.) again. But honestly, this phone made me so mad, even though I'm happy with my current phone. :D:p:)

I've had my share of headaches with my Epic the first two weeks. 3 phone exchanges all with different problems tech support was clueless about but did every thing the manual they read which is useless. Finally I did my own research and with the help of users in forums like this helped make my phone much more stable. I still wish I would have purchased the Motorola Photon 4G instead since I've always had great luck with Motorola phones. My last phone was the horrible Samsung Instinct, a total let down and abandoned by Samsung even though they tried to claim it to be the iPhone competitor at the time. I read good things about the Epic and since OfficeMax gave it to me for $37 I couldn't say no. Just curious, which phone did you switch to and are you happier with it?

Now, one thing I do have to disagree with you about Samsung is their TV's. I have researched all the TV's for over a year before making a decision and I wanted to stick with LCD TV's and I could not find a brand that could touch Samsung if you tweak the settings correctly. TV's should never just be left on factory default settings or how they have it set up at the store. They over do things so things look brighter. All my friends whom have come over to watch movies on my 52" Samsung with super surround sound were drooling and 4 of them went out and bought one as well. As for phones, I agree, they should just leave it to the pro's and just stick to TV's. Sorry for the long babbling. I hope your new phone brings much happiness and great use.

One big complaint I have about my Epic is that a lot of times my SD card with not show apps I have stored on it. I have to take out the battery, remove the SD Card until it shows up again. What good is the "Unmount SD Card" in the settings menu if it does nothing. I always get the single short vibration, pause then double short vibration and gives me two buttons. "Force Quit" or "Wait". Anyone else have this issue?

Upvote 0
actually...will be saving $500/mo over Sprint, and we'll be grandfathered into t-mobile's current rate plan structure should the merger go through. Plus, coverage should improve after the merger. There's already talk of towers from both working for both. So who knows. $6k a year is nothing to sneeze at.

You may save money on the plan but

a) You will need to buy a tmobile phone and THEN buy an ATT phone and having worked for ATT they will more than likely not give out any deals on switching phones.

b) They can choose to grandfather the plan or they can choose to raise rates which wouldnt surprise me one bit. ATT is horrible customer service I worked for them and they gave us call sheets with totally wrongphone numbers on it and we would have to knowlingly transfer people to the wrong department. They have rediculous fees and im sure they will find many ways to piss you off

Ultimately it's your decision but ATT sucks really really bad.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with aysemj. I have always felt that AT&T was the worse of the big 4. I have been a Apple fan since 1985 and because AT&T was the only one carrying the iPhone I did not buy one. I will never switch over to AT&T. The only other provider I would and may be switching over to is Verizon.

Regardless it doesn't matter where you go. They will all rape you. Its just a matter of whom you're willing to get raped by and what you are willing to tolerate. I've stuck with Nextel which unfortunately turned into Sprint because the customer service was the best, cell service was great and the hardware was top of the line in quality and they worked. Sprint took over and changed all that. They have great phones but their cell service is horrible now and I don't even know why they advertise 4G. Even is the best areas its not that great and is not consistent. Cell reception is spotty depending on where you live/work but not so horrible that there are constant dropped calls like AT&T was having with the iPhone when they came out. Sprints customer service closed their doors didn't they? I ask because every time I call I get people who don't know what they are talking about or try to act like they are sympathetic to your issues. I think they just hired a company to take their calls and read out of a manual depending on what questions you ask. If you tell them about a problem you're having with your phone, (and you know from forums and talking to others they have the same problem) their first response is "Oh, this is the first I've heard of this. I have not been receiving calls from anyone else about this issue. I will look into right away". Tech support are family members of the customer service people who made a copy of the customer service manual but have a hard time reading the poor copies so they usually give you poor information. I think the first page of instructions is, "Have them remove the battery for 30 seconds and have small talk with them to pass the time so they think you care", "When that doesn't work, (we know it won't because its a problem we don't know how to fix) tell them to do a hard reset on their phone and you punch in some numbers on the computer so it sends them a fake message that you have actually done something on your end.", "Finally tell them they need to take their phone into a service center to get looked at. (This is where we give them a refurbished phone that doesn't work any better but the will think its a brand new phone. Customers are fools and don't know how much we take advantage of their ignorance) and let the store deal with them.

Sprint really needs a wake up call or they'll end up like Netflix and lose over 800,000 customers because of an idiotic decision(s).

Jim

Upvote 0
Points are moot now anyway. Enough complaining got the attention of the dan@sprint people and we now have our dedicated care rep and local sales rep along with about a grand in credit to the account. I actually like what I see with Sprint working on their network down the road. I think they're setup to do really well with LTE coming, possible EVDO rev B and LTE/WIMAX running side by side (on the tower side) so the original 4g devices aren't obsolete in the near future. So we're sticking with Sprint. I just picked up the new mifi 4g, ordered a bunch of 4S's for the apple crowd, and we'll be with Sprint for a bit longer.

and aysemj, I don't really see your point a) at all. Why would we have to buy a new AT&T phone? Besides, I had everything in writing in regards to grandfathering plan pricing and all. I wasn't worried. Besides, keeping a few data lines open on sprint would ensure our business contract stays intact should we ever want to switch back. But again, it's all moot now that we're sticking with Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones