• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will i be getting a refurbished/used droid?

Heh-heh...Look around, Folks.

30% of the people on this board are walking in to their Verizon store and getting their phone swapped out within 30 days so they can get a brand new Droid to replace the one they dropped, hacked, got wet, spilled coffee on, scratched, got dust under the screen, have a loose jack, have a loose keypad or a myriad of other things they've done that "Verizon will never know..." they did. At least 50% of the people (here, anyway) returning them are trying to get away with something. They are trying to get a new phone to replace the one they've mistreated!
You guys acting like these refurbished phones are on par with certified pre-owned bimmers are kidding yourselves. Somewhere there's a dude checking the headphone jack on a refurb for electrical continuity, maybe even giving it a wiggle, but it doesn't happen to be during that 5% of the time that it was a problem. In the same building, the very crisp, sharp edge of foil just beginning to peel off the top of a camera button on a "refurbished" droid goes unnoticed as it gets slipped into a bag by a gloved handed boxer-upper. In another room someone blows out the minute dust particles that get trapped in the very thin trough between the screen and the recessed frame, and two tiny particles actually get trapped beneath the glass, forever keeping company to the other two that are trapped there for which the phone was returned. They go unnoticed at the inspection table by the tired 2nd shift inspector making $11 an hour, half of who's salary goes to pay for her kid's childcare. That same gal working production line QC would never have a problem spotting a defect because production defects tend to be very obvious.

"Used" means used. They were used by people, with an extremely high chance of having been handled too roughly -if not downright abused, and checked by low paid inspectors who really couldn't give a crap about your fancy new phone.
Sorry for the cynicism, but I feel it is very naive to put too much faith in people's desire to serve others perfection.

Despite your poor attitude towards this product, the Storm 1 had the most returns in BB (or, I don't remember) Verizon's history for a new phone release.
I got a CLN and the notorious dead spots in the screen clicks was completely fixed - that is because they looked over it/fixed it by hand. I was satisfied. The Storm's OS on the other hand...I won't go there

Upvote 0
I think you are misunderstanding me entirely. I might have a poor attitude about how consumers treat their phones(...you say "attitude", I say "realistic view") and what I consider to be a healthy skepticism about the refurbishing process of a previously abused Droid, but I have absolutely no poor attitude towards the product itself. I am continually fascinated by it's genius, capabilities, versatility and build quality. I think it was well engineered and well executed. there are Achilles heel trouble spots in every product, and this one has a couple, but no more than expected. I think very highly of the Droid, and I've been very satisfied with Motorola products in the past. ;)

Upvote 0
Despite your poor attitude towards this product, the Storm 1 had the most returns in BB (or, I don't remember) Verizon's history for a new phone release.
I got a CLN and the notorious dead spots in the screen clicks was completely fixed - that is because they looked over it/fixed it by hand. I was satisfied. The Storm's OS on the other hand...I won't go there

Agreed... My refurbed Storm had a screen that functioned much better than my release date storm.

I think we are arguing semantics when we talk about refurbished being used. I will say though, in the dozens of phones I have had VZW replace with refurb's NONE of them have ever looked used. I am pretty sure the phones case is replaced with a new one and then put through the same QC testing that a new phone is put through upon final assembly and inspection. Like others have said, There is nothing wrong with refurbs and in many situations some or most of the release date problems with the device are addressed and fixed.

Upvote 0
As far as REFURBS and Verizon go.....I've had my experiences with numerous "Refurbs"......

Several LG dumb phones I had worked FANTASTIC as new phones......when I needed them replaced because of damage, etc.....and I got a refurb....I had nothing but issues with them. Horrible reception....bad voice quality....camera no longer worked....the list goes on.

As far as the BB Storm 1....I went through 6 of them. Yes, 6. Each one was returned to a Verizon store due to issues confirmed by Verizon techs....and each replacement was a refurb. Each one had major issues....from the screen not "clicking", the phone not sending/receiving e-mails, to the phone not being able to send a single call.

I will do my best to stay away from refurb'ed phones. I have had nothing but HORRIBLE luck with them. So for those of you saying that you think a refurb'ed phone is "better than new".....you must have had some good luck.....cause I'm about 0 for 10. Maybe it's jsut my terrible luck....:(

Upvote 0
You definitely can't keep both of them, they won't activate your new one until you return the other one. And if you did do it yourself then you would for sure get charged for a new one. This much I can promise you.

You can activate the new one while you still have the old one, as I've done this with numerous phones, but he's right about keeping both. They will definately charge you full retail price of the phone if one is not sent back within 10 days.

Upvote 0
You definitely can't keep both of them, they won't activate your new one until you return the other one. And if you did do it yourself then you would for sure get charged for a new one. This much I can promise you.

I got a new Eris in the mail when I had problems with my first one (before I ditched the Eris completey and went with Droid).

I was able to activate the new phone myself at the kitchen table by doing that *288 thing, (or is it *233? I don't remember now).

I didn't have to go to the store or return the old one before activating my new one.

I was told that if I didn't return the old one in the prepaid FedEx box within 10 days, I would be charged for it, full price. I did. No harm.

Upvote 0
You can activate the new one while you still have the old one, as I've done this with numerous phones, but he's right about keeping both. They will definately charge you full retail price of the phone if one is not sent back within 10 days.

I got a new Eris in the mail when I had problems with my first one (before I ditched the Eris completey and went with Droid).

I was able to activate the new phone myself at the kitchen table by doing that *288 thing, (or is it *233? I don't remember now).

I didn't have to go to the store or return the old one before activating my new one.

I was told that if I didn't return the old one in the prepaid FedEx box within 10 days, I would be charged for it, full price. I did. No harm.

I should have been a bit more explanatory, I was saying they as in the store wouldn't do it for you if that is where you got the phone, but if you do it yourself (with *228) then you will get hit with the retail charge if you don't return one. My bad.

Upvote 0

I dragged my feet shipping out the old one once and I was charged $4xx in two weeks on my account and it took a while for them to knock it back off, made me look "late" for a month and almost got turned off. Grrrrr

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones