• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the community support for this phone grow?

I see that the Galaxy Nexus has a giant community and it's only been a week after it's launch, though they've had a large following beforehand. But what about the Rezound? It seems as if it's been a small community even after it being a month or so since it's launch.

With a large community you get more tips and tricks, rooting, etc.

Do you think community support for this phone grow?

btw I'm on the fence between a Galaxy Nexus and Rezound.

After hearing about all the signal issues with the Nexus, I'm anticipating that we may get more support from the developer community than if the Nexus had flawless signal. You can't really strengthen a device's signal reception with an OTA software patch. The issues are hardware related. Verizon would have to increase the signal across the board or increase the sensitivity of the Nexus which I don't see happening (would involve a recall or as I joked in another thread, sending everyone some conductive material and some type of soldering kit).

Before anyone claims that an OTA update will fix the problem, I'd ask if they owned a Thunderbolt which had the same issues that the Nexus appears to be experiencing. We had poor 4G reception as well as the accompanying poor battery life due to 4G connectivity issues. The OTA software fix stabilized how the phone sought out 4G and handled how it attempted to stay connected thus somewhat helping battery life. The 4G signal really didn't improve as software has its limitations when it comes to improving on a physical signal's reception. I would wager that the OTA updates are just a PR move on Verizon's part to appease the Nexus crowd. They're running the Thunderbolt playbook all over again.

The luxury that the Rezound has is that HTC actually learned from the Thunderbolt and thus all the shortcomings that the Nexus crowd is experiencing, HTC is like, "Been there done that". I think some of the Nexus's shortcomings may drive some developers our way. I say give it a few weeks after the first OTA is pushed and people start reporting a more stable phone and realize that it isn't a fix of their poor signal, but just how the phone interprets the weak signal.

Upvote 0
I see that the Galaxy Nexus has a giant community and it's only been a week after it's launch, though they've had a large following beforehand. But what about the Rezound? It seems as if it's been a small community even after it being a month or so since it's launch.

With a large community you get more tips and tricks, rooting, etc.

Do you think community support for this phone grow?

btw I'm on the fence between a Galaxy Nexus and Rezound.

As more folks buy it, more folks will come our way. But there's so little support needed for the Rezound since it works so well out of the box! :)

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
As more folks buy it, more folks will come our way. But there's so little support needed for the Rezound since it works so well out of the box! :)
Guessing this is tongue-in-cheek. The Rezound has its fair share of serious issues.

My guess is that the Rezound will see increased support as soon as permanent S-OFF is achieved.

The Rezound just hasn't been marketed properly, though. Look at Google Trends:

Google Trends: htc rezound, galaxy nexus

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
I want to get this phone, but I don't want to get it and for the next 2 years have a small community that doesn't provide lots of tips, advice, rooting, etc. But hey gotta get something and be happy with it. I hope the community will get bigger. The Nexus has a giant following. It's almost similar to apple!

Some of the NEXUS following is due to its use in Europe. It has been out over there for quite some time.

Upvote 0
Guessing this is tongue-in-cheek. The Rezound has its fair share of serious issues.

My guess is that the Rezound will see increased support as soon as permanent S-OFF is achieved.

What are the fair share of Serious issues that the Rezound has?:eek: :thinking:

Upvote 0
It has been my experience that bigger does not always mean better. The people here in the rezound forum are very knowledgeable (I am the one exception) and all are very, very helpful. I am a member of several IT and web development forums and I have to say that these folks are golden. I have learned so much from just reading.

Most of these people are heavily tech savvy. Most also did a huge amount of research concerning phones and even tried and compared the Nexus, Razr, iphone etc. in the end they are here.

Oh yea, these folks are also the most courteous bunch of phone addicts you are likely to meet. So get a rezound and welcome to our smaller but very cool and involved community!

Upvote 0
It has been my experience that bigger does not always mean better. The people here in the rezound forum are very knowledgeable (I am the one exception) and all are very, very helpful. I am a member of several IT and web development forums and I have to say that these folks are golden. I have learned so much from just reading.

Most of these people are heavily tech savvy. Most also did a huge amount of research concerning phones and even tried and compared the Nexus, Razr, iphone etc. in the end they are here.

Oh yea, these folks are also the most courteous bunch of phone addicts you are likely to meet. So get a rezound and welcome to our smaller but very cool and involved community!

Quality over quantity. The people who know their stuff know the rezound is a better phone. They wont be swayed by the hype. They recognize the sleeping giant. They will keep poking until he wakes up. The greater the challenge the greater the reward.

Upvote 0
Yeah, we'll get more attention when S-Off is achieved and ROMs become available... but it's not guaranteed that'll ever happen.

IMO, if you choose the Rezound you'll need to accept that although it's excellent hardware (in high performance, flexibility, and lack of widespread problems) it'll probably never have a huge dev and user community behind it. I'd prefer it otherwise, but I'm already very happy w/the phone and will be delighted when ICS (official or otherwise) finally arrives.

Upvote 0

+1 Will be replacing my BB Storm with Rezound, been reading everything on the big 3 phones and there is no contest. Finally help and played with all 3 last night and that did it- Rezound for me! Just wish there was more support for it and better accessory.

Reactions: pwalt
Upvote 0

Nope, not tongue in cheek at all. I love my phone, absolutely no issues. The issues I've noticed in the forum are few and far between, and I trust Verizon to take care of us. (I've been a Verizon customer since the late 90's and am definitely a loyal customer)

No, I'm not a "heavy" user. No, I'm not a tweaker. I'm just extremely happy with what I have.

Upvote 0
Nope, not tongue in cheek at all. I love my phone, absolutely no issues. The issues I've noticed in the forum are few and far between

QFT. Obviously if you're one of the few who have severe overheating or boot-looping problems then you won't consider them trivial, but overall I think this is an unusually drama-less phone that just works exactly as designed for the vast majority of owners. An engineering triumph but definitely not a marketing one. :thinking:

and I trust Verizon to take care of us.

Well... I'm on the cynical end of this one. As long as we get a reasonably timely and well executed upgrade to ICS, then I'm happy.

Reactions: RottnJP
Upvote 0
as long as their's some form of community and developer support then this phone may be a good option for me. I'm new to smartphones and rooting. There is something about rooting and customization that is attractive to me. I might end up getting this phone if I can get past the Super Amoled screen of the Nexus and maybe ICS

Signal strength tends to trump the Super Amoled and ICS features of the Nexus when people jump off of it. If you're in a rich 4G area then the Nexus would serve you well, but people that don't live next to a Verizon tower are reporting less than stellar signal strength.

Upvote 0
Signal strength tends to trump the Super Amoled and ICS features of the Nexus when people jump off of it. If you're in a rich 4G area then the Nexus would serve you well, but people that don't live next to a Verizon tower are reporting less than stellar signal strength.

That has been a concern of mine. The Nexus worked ok at times at two different Verizon stores I went to here in San Diego. The Rezound did get better speedtest.net scores than the Nexus with 4g LTE. I don't think I'd want to deal with poor reception/data speeds, volume problems, and camera issues. But I have a hard time getting past the Superamoled screen, it looks awesome! If I can find a way to accept and enjoy the Rezound's screen for 2 years or so, then I think I will enjoy this phone if all the other important features of this phone really are that good as I hear they are.

Upvote 0
QFT. Obviously if you're one of the few who have severe overheating or boot-looping problems then you won't consider them trivial, but overall I think this is an unusually drama-less phone that just works exactly as designed for the vast majority of owners. An engineering triumph but definitely not a marketing one. :thinking:

Well... I'm on the cynical end of this one. As long as we get a reasonably timely and well executed upgrade to ICS, then I'm happy.

Personally, I agree on both counts. Mine has been trouble-free. Not that there aren't things to improve, (my biggest gripe is actually that Beats doesn't work for more apps, or over bluetooth.) but all in all, I think it's a really well executed design. I haven't de-bloated the VZW stuff yet, but that will only make it better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones