• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Droid/Milestone get Android 2.2, 2.3?

You many not care about function changes in FROYO, or even that it has Flash....

What I want is the performance gain. Engadget shows a stock Milestone get 6+ MFLOPS on 2.1, it is geting 40+ MFLOPS on 2.2.

That's an incredible increase ..... like getting a brand new phone for free...

This means Droids and Milestones purchased as much as a year ago could still out perform the iPhone 4, and there will be a generational split in the games on the market as post and pre 2.2 gaming abiltiy.

There is no way a milestone is getting 40 MFLOPS on 2.2, especially at stock clock speed. My Droid is on 2.2 and overclocked to 1.25Ghz and gets just under 20 MFLOPS in linpack. If you're see benchmarks that high they are using some sort of emulator on a computer. JIT is a big speed boost but not that big.

Upvote 0
There is no way a milestone is getting 40 MFLOPS on 2.2, especially at stock clock speed. My Droid is on 2.2 and overclocked to 1.25Ghz and gets just under 20 MFLOPS in linpack. If you're see benchmarks that high they are using some sort of emulator on a computer. JIT is a big speed boost but not that big.

Agreed. The record is held by a Nexus 1 at ~41 or ~42 MFLOPS.

My DROID at 1.2 on FRF57 still only gets less than half that, 19 MFLOPS is the highest to date that I have gotten. Still, it is a tremendous increase on previous 2.0.x and 2.1.x ROMs.

40, though? I think you'll fry your DROID before you get that. Same holds true for the Milestone.

Upvote 0
Agreed. The record is held by a Nexus 1 at ~41 or ~42 MFLOPS.

My DROID at 1.2 on FRF57 still only gets less than half that, 19 MFLOPS is the highest to date that I have gotten. Still, it is a tremendous increase on previous 2.0.x and 2.1.x ROMs.

40, though? I think you'll fry your DROID before you get that. Same holds true for the Milestone.

Anything above low 20s has to be faked. There are "Droid" devices with over 50 MFLOPS in the top 10.

Upvote 0
Yah, some of those have to be fakes.

Linpack by Device GreeneComputing

DROIDs running at 52 (same phone, twice) and in the low 30s (on a friggin 2.0.1 ROM, no less??? I call BS.

Also, for the Milestone owners - one guy has 6 entries at 19.543, then more realistic entries.

I just posted an 18.539 on my DROID, and it ranks at 5970 on the list...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones