• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the S3 support 4g in the UK?

No the S3 I9300 doesn't support 4G but Samsung is releasing a 4G version at the end of this month. But it has a much higher price tag and much less battery life.

The S3 will work on LTE 4G, but as it says below the 4G part is a bit of a lie.

Q: Ooooh, did I hear 4G, how exciting!

A: Hold your horses. It's LTE 4G. The LTE stands for Long Term Evolution, and the 4G part is a bit of a lie. Back in 2009 it was determined that the 4G standard would offer 100Mbit/s when you are moving (say in a car) and 1 Gbit/s when you are standing still.

Read more: Macworld UK

Upvote 0
The S3 will work on LTE 4G, but as it says below the 4G part is a bit of a lie.

Q: Ooooh, did I hear 4G, how exciting!

A: Hold your horses. It's LTE 4G. The LTE stands for Long Term Evolution, and the 4G part is a bit of a lie. Back in 2009 it was determined that the 4G standard would offer 100Mbit/s when you are moving (say in a car) and 1 Gbit/s when you are standing still.

Read more: Macworld UK

The S3 will not work on "4G" as it is not LTE!

Upvote 0
But you said LTE 4G would work on the S3 which is not true

In everything i have read about the S3 and 4G it is referred to as 4G LTE or LTE 4G but as it says above the 4G bit is in fact not true, so our phones will work on LTE and you can bet your bottom dollar people will still call it 4G.

Everything Everywhere has been cleared by Ofcom to launch 4G LTE services on its existing mobile spectrum, giving it the jump on competitors who have to wait till 2013.

This means that Everything Everywhere (EE), which runs T-Mobile and Orange in the UK, will be able to launch 4G later this year, instead of in 2013 as originally expected.

This now means that EE can refarm its existing 1800Mhz spectrum, which is being used for old 2G and 3G services to provide 4G LTE services, as Ofcom decreed that "EE's 1800 MHz licences now will deliver significant benefits to consumers, and that there is no material risk that those benefits will be outweighed by a distortion of competition."

EE has been issued a license that takes effect from 11 September, although the decision remains a commercial one - the company hasn't specified a date beyond 'later this year.'

"Ofcom's decision to make 4G available this year is great news for the UK. Consumers will soon be able to benefit from the much greater mobile speeds that 4G will deliver. 4G will drive investment, employment and innovation and we look forward to making it available later this year, delivering superfast mobile broadband to the UK," said an EE spokesperson.

Upvote 0
In everything i have read about the S3 and 4G it is referred to as 4G LTE or LTE 4G but as it says above the 4G bit is in fact not true, so our phones will work on LTE and you can bet your bottom dollar people will still call it 4G.

The current international version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 will not work on LTE. Why would they be releasing another specifically called 'Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE' if the original S3 already supports it?

Upvote 0
Would that not just be form Germany.

I cant actually believe that Samsung would be that stupid to release another version of the international s3 just for LTE purposes. As all of us that currently have an S3 would be at a loss.

I spoke to a T-mobile customer service advisor and he mentioned to me that when T-mobile release the 4g speeds, that we will get an update on our phones to enable us to us it.

But then i read else where that our hone does not support the network that t-mobile use, so the best we will get is HSPAP+ which they say is slightly slower then 4G.

I guess we have to wait and see.

I would be happy with a constant HSPAP+ as that is fast enough for my daily doings.

Upvote 0
So it looks like the best we will get is HSPAP:15.

Oh well its better then 3G lol.

I can only get Edge at work and it is fairly slow, I recently saw H+ on my screen while sitting in a motorway services near Manchester and it was noticeably faster, if the fastest we could get using our S3's in this country was H+ but the coverage was most of it I would be happy.

Upvote 0
I can only get Edge at work and it is fairly slow, I recently saw H+ on my screen while sitting in a motorway services near Manchester and it was noticeably faster, if the fastest we could get using our S3's in this country was H+ but the coverage was most of it I would be happy.

I did a speed test today on H+ i got a DL of 3.4Mbps not bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones