• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
Hmm..really? I bought my phone at best buy and they told me they'd give me a brand new one. No refurbished phones or repairs. Anyway, good thing I went with asurion...phone took a swim in the ocean, filed a claim online and received a brand new one the very next day.

I could have sworn they told me the same thing so I went with them. When it came down to it they said they never told me that. They went as far as to say they are very careful with their words so people don't get the wrong info. I will be cancelling when my phone ever gets back.

Upvote 0
I just got my phone back from HTC's repair contractor after a cracked screen and I'm looking into thirdparty insurance. Does anyone have any experience with a third-party insurance provider? I found Ensquared-

2 Year Phone Insurance- Smartphone

For HTC to fix my phone, it cost 127 dollars. In order for this insurance to be worth it, I would have to break my phone another two times, given a $99 one-time charge and a $35 deductible.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
i added my phone onto my homeowners policy through american family (in MN). it costs me $20 a year, with zero deductible for a full replacement policy.

if i do make a claim, it will raise my rates 10%, which would increase it about 9 dollars a month.

so, i would need to make 2 or more claims in one year for it to equal up the cost of a lot of other insurance options.

Upvote 0
i added my phone onto my homeowners policy through american family (in MN). it costs me $20 a year, with zero deductible for a full replacement policy.

if i do make a claim, it will raise my rates 10%, which would increase it about 9 dollars a month.

so, i would need to make 2 or more claims in one year for it to equal up the cost of a lot of other insurance options.

I know State Farm, in some state anyway, has similar coverage for a similar cost.

Upvote 0
For those of you depending on your homeowners policy to provide full coverage for your phone, be aware that even when your policy specifies that phones/electronic equipment/computer equipment/whatever is covered, the loss must be caused by a covered peril under your policy. Water damage, except under very specific conditions, is not a covered peril under most policies. Having it on your homeowners policy may give you some protection, but it does not offer the same level of protection as the plans offered by many carriers. Yes, it's cheaper, but before you drop your carrier insurance, READ YOUR POLICY. It doesn't matter what your agent tells you...they aren't the ones who are going to adjust your claim, they only sell you the policy. What matters is what your policy says.

The excerpt below is taken directly from the Covered Perils in the HO0003 (4/91) - which is the standard homeowners form. Unless you have an endorsement amending the covered perils of loss, specifically water damage, you do not have coverage under your homeowners policy if your phone gets wet. And, since water damage is probably in the top 3 reasons people need to replace their phones, this can be a big deal...it is for me, having had my phone replaced recently through Asurion due to water damage from a leaking cup of melting ice sitting too close to my phone.

Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system or from within a household appliance.
This peril does not include loss:
a. To the system or appliance from which the water or steam escaped;
b. Caused by or resulting from freezing except as provided in the peril of freezing below; or
c. On the "residence premises" caused by accidental discharge or overflow which occurs off the "residence premises." In this peril, a plumbing system does not include a sump, sump pump or related equipment.

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
FYI for those on T-mobile (possibly other plans too.) I just chatted with t-mo and they would not provide a copy of my terms in writing. I really want the protection but this makes me nervous. They told me to call Asurion at 1-866-268-7221 or go to their Website to see if I can get something in writing.

IMHO it is always worth it to get the insurance on big ticket items. (Big ticket=$300+,) particularly if it covers theft and accidental damage. In addition, you're carrying around a delicate $600 computer in your pocket. The chances of it getting dropped or stolen are pretty high. $130 + $144 over 2 years to get a new one sent is well worth it. Heck, you could drop it yourself to get a new, shiny one after a year. JUST KIDDING! Seriously, the insanity insurance alone is worth it to me. :)

Oh, and these types of plans often cover defective batteries and such. My laptop policy through Best Buy paid for itself in 2 battery replacements, but then I got another, and they fixed it twice. That's $300+ they're in the hole for me. I also got another new laptop from an earlier policy -- $900 in the hole for them. I had to wait 9 weeks (3x3) for it though, but I'm happy.

I may do the $300 HP 3-year insurance next time though. No 3 week wait and excellent customer service. Had my laptop back in hand 3 days after the first phone call on the 1 year plan. Better yet, sell it for $600 a year before the plan expires. You profit or at least come out even.

Upvote 0
Oh, the computer plans also cover tech support. That's essential for the non-geek or the busy geek.

Get your laptop cleaned right before the policy runs out. Prevents the inevitable overheating from dust around the cpu. It is very hard to get down to the cpu fan without breaking some tiny part in most laptops. HP charges $300 for this out of warranty. Learned my lesson for next time. I have to take my laptop outside on a cool day just to re-image it. :( Get a new battery and see if they'll replace any stripped screws too.

Upvote 0
I have Asurian insurance currently on 4 phones, I had been paying it for 2.5 years on 2 G1's and never made a claim. Insurance doesn't make sense especially now I have to spend $130 deductible, I've just smashed my screen.

I can buy a replacement screen for $65 and replace myself. I haven't even had the phone for a month.

If I would have made it a year, I could easily upgrade for $200 and get a newer model. Or T mobile does a BOGOF deal, where I would be ahead and then have a spare phone.

I will be cancelling my insurance after my new phone arrives. I would have been happier if I could kept the old phone, but on top of everything, they want the old phone too. What a ripoff.

Upvote 0
Last night my wife dropped her INC, with the case on it and it landed flat on the floor on its back so she says. The result is a shattered lower part of the screen. Will the asurion insurance cover this and replace the phone? I've never had to use insurance on a cell phone so i'm not sure what exactly is covered and whats not. The phone still works fine, even the home, menu, back, and search buttons work fine even though that where alot of the cracks are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones