• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will You Upgrade (Evo 3D)

Will you upgrade

• Upgrading to Evo 3D

Votes: 157 33.1%
  • Sticking with Evo 4G

Votes: 214 45.1%
  • On the Fence/Undecided

Votes: 93 19.6%
  • I'll be a first time EVO purchaser

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters
i think the 3d feature is going to be disapointing to say the least...but i know for a fact i will stay with evo4g and wait for something better mainly because of the camera...idk why htc went backwards to a 5mp camera..just my opinion but when you look to build a 2nd generation phone youenhace features...never never never take away from them

Upvote 0
i think the 3d feature is going to be disapointing to say the least...but i know for a fact i will stay with evo4g and wait for something better mainly because of the camera...idk why htc went backwards to a 5mp camera..just my opinion but when you look to build a 2nd generation phone youenhace features...never never never take away from them

I would rather have a great 5mp camera than a mediocre 8mp any day. But the lack of kickstand might be a deal breaker and the position of the micro usb port. The plus for me is the dual core and I assume adreno 220 gpu which will allow better game play. i will probably buy it when it comes out.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
My Evo is only 3 months old, so I'll be likely sticking with it for another 1.75 years. Even so, I don't really see any compelling reasons to upgrade. As you can see, I'm more than willing to let other people be the Evo 3D guinea pigs, get all the quirks out of it, and then pick it up myself a year later. Thanks, guinea pigs! ;)

Agreed. I'm still learning what I can do with my current model.

What I have now, does exactly what I need. I'm happy and not in any hurry to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Lmao @ everyone saying the 3d is gimmicky, how would u no, u obviously is watching the video from a none 3d device, they clearly said the 3d works and it works well........and u can charge while watching videos on ur tv......p.s. that's not the final product, we all is going to get to learn more bout it in the coming days, weeks and months. Name a phone u seen so far that's better?

Played the 3ds and hated. Have seen 3d movies and hated them. I think when people say "gimmicky" what they mean to say is "it doesn't add to or positively effect the overall experience of a standard 2d movie" and I would completely agree. The images pop out, no doubt. But most people don't feel the movie (or other content) is any more real.

Reactions: Slice28
Upvote 0
Everyone seems to think the EVO 3D is just an EVO with a 3D screen. I also think the 3D feature is sort of gimmicky, but the device is a full-fledged successor from the EVO 4G, and is one of the best featured - if not THE best featured devices available in 2011 (as the EVO 4G was last year).

-qHD Display @ 960x540 - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-1.2GHz Dual-Core SoC + 1GB RAM (Qualcomm's MSM8660) - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-1080P Video Capture - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-Large hardware camera button - this is great great great!
-Ships with 2.3 Gingerbread - great great great!

Upvote 0
nope, I plan on staying with my og Evo for at least another year. no need for me to waste more money on a new phone when my current one is awesome.

also both my wife and I have evo's and I have car docks in each car. we definately plan on using them for a while.

That and sprint changed their premier. no phone is worth 500$ or more to me.

Upvote 0
Everyone seems to think the EVO 3D is just an EVO with a 3D screen. I also think the 3D feature is sort of gimmicky, but the device is a full-fledged successor from the EVO 4G,!

Interestingly I am seeing a handful of people say that this may not be the successor of the EVO. I too see it as a successor, as does Sprint it seems, but I wonder what it would take for people to view it as a true successor.

Upvote 0
...and for those of us who have to wear glasses, we are SOL.

I may be misunderstanding you, but are you saying that people that wear glasses cannot view 3D on "glasses free" screens? This is not the case. Of course you still need corrective lenses, but you won't need a pair of 3D glasses on top of that with a "glasses free" 3D screen.

Upvote 0
Everyone seems to think the EVO 3D is just an EVO with a 3D screen. I also think the 3D feature is sort of gimmicky, but the device is a full-fledged successor from the EVO 4G, and is one of the best featured - if not THE best featured devices available in 2011 (as the EVO 4G was last year).

-qHD Display @ 960x540 - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-1.2GHz Dual-Core SoC + 1GB RAM (Qualcomm's MSM8660) - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-1080P Video Capture - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-Large hardware camera button - this is great great great!
-Ships with 2.3 Gingerbread - great great great!

Very good points, but those hardware specs will mean little if the device is glitchy with a poor battery. I hope along with the hardware specs they refined battery usage and work with google to enhance how apps can be saved to the sd. Like many others on here, although I have some issues with the phone, I am in no rush to upgrade just to do so. I look forward to all of first hand accounts that will be posted here.

I will also wait to find out how fast htc will upgrade the os for the original evo. If they don't, I will probably get google's phone even if it means a downgrade in some of the hardware. The major thing I hate about so many android phones is how manufactures and cell companies vary their support for upgrades. If I liked the iphone at all I would have switched for that alone.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
I may be misunderstanding you, but are you saying that people that wear glasses cannot view 3D on "glasses free" screens? This is not the case. Of course you still need corrective lenses, but you won't need a pair of 3D glasses on top of that with a "glasses free" 3D screen.

No I mean for the TV's that require glasses.

Upvote 0
Definitely not upgrading. I have a launch day EVO and it was a HUGE step up from the Hero I had. I don't really care about 3D, and the faster processors are nice, but I honestly don't feel like my EVO is slow by any stretch of the imagination. If it was a $99 upgrade, I would probably do it, but considering I'm sure this will be a $200-300 upgrade (even with 1 year renewal for being Premium Gold or whatever they call it now) I can't really justify dropping that for a slightly faster processor and no kickstand. Especially since I'm keeping a close eye on the tablet scene for the right Android tablet to come along. And no, the EVO tablet is not even close to being the "right" tablet, but that's a different topic! =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones