• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will You Upgrade (Evo 3D)

Will you upgrade

• Upgrading to Evo 3D

Votes: 157 33.1%
  • Sticking with Evo 4G

Votes: 214 45.1%
  • On the Fence/Undecided

Votes: 93 19.6%
  • I'll be a first time EVO purchaser

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters

Slice28

Jun 10, 2010
In light of the newly announced Evo 3D how many current Evo 4G owners are planning on upgrading to the Evo 3D this June, and how many will stick with their Evo 4G and look forward to the gingerbread/new sense update that will be coming to the Evo 4G also around June

i think i am happy with the original evo.

i agree.. ill have to see more of what the evo 3D has to offer as well as having a hands on experience with it before considering to upgrade.. but i think once the original evo gets the gingerbread and new sense i will be completely satisfied with it and hold off for the next best thing.. plus the evo 3D seems kind of gimicky

Reactions: BrianJB
Upvote 0
I suspect by June, my practical side will kick in, and I'll stick with my Evo. But I'm actually quite impressed with the Evo 3D specs. The 3D part not so much, but the increase in pixel density, CPU and battery life sound like a major upgrade. Perhaps I'll see how much Evo 1 is selling for and make a decision then. I've been with Sprint for 12 years, so I can at least upgrade this year.

I'm sure before then we'll have a good idea from people reporting back whether it's awesome or not.

Upvote 0
I really don't know if I want to upgrade to the EVO 3D. I don't qualify for an early upgrade anyway. I mean spec wise...E3D is awesome. But I don't know if it's worth paying the full price for. Call me crazy but I just don't see the EVO 3D being that much superior to the OG EVO. I'm really debating here. arrrgghh lol! I think I might just wait till next year. The EVO is so awesome I can keep it for an extra year. By that time greater phones will be out anyway. Dual core isnt going to last forever. Who knows...maybe this isnt even the EVO 2 and it's still yet to come. I see the EVO 3D just being part of the EVO brand than being a sequel. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
I agree.. I dont really see the Evo 3D as being a true successor to the Evo 4G, but rather just a new addition to the growing family/trend of the Evo's.. my gut feeling tells me that bigger and better things are on the horizon.. and considering that im not eligible for a full upgrade until next winter i might as well wait to see what happens, especially since im still very much satisfied with my Evo, especially after it gets the gingerbread/sense update

Upvote 0
I agree.. I dont really see the Evo 3D as being a true successor to the Evo 4G, but rather just a new addition to the growing family/trend of the Evo's.. my gut feeling tells me that bigger and better things are on the horizon.. and considering that im not eligible for a full upgrade until next winter i might as well wait to see what happens, especially since im still very much satisfied with my Evo, especially after it gets the gingerbread/sense update

Amen to this!!!!

Reactions: Slice28
Upvote 0
Is it confirmed we're getting Gingerbread and Sense 2.0 tho? If not I'm definitely upgrading to 3D maybe even something else.

This is as close to "confirmed" as it gets right now.
http://androidforums.com/2460598-post506.html

Although I never trust Tier 1 Sprint reps, EVER, when it comes to this type of information (For those that have never worked customer support before, Tier 1 reps never get info like this first hand):
http://androidforums.com/2461431-post508.html

Now, as far as the EVO 3D is concerned, the specs look like a much faster phone. I'm eligible for early upgrade, but I'm not convinced that it's enough for me to give up my current EVO. I had this same dilemma with my Touch Pro when the Touch Pro 2 was released. I was eligible for early upgrade, but I wasn't convinced that I'd love the Touch Pro 2 that much more than the Touch Pro 1, even though the Touch Pro 2 blew the Touch Pro 1 out of the water w/ specs and performance.

At this point, I'm actually more interested in comparing all the tablets until next year's version of the EVO is released. There are a couple factors for the EVO 3D that made me lose a little interest in upgrading, but I'm kinda stuck on a "wait and see" factor.

Upvote 0
In light of the newly announced Evo 3D how many current Evo 4G owners are planning on upgrading to the Evo 3D this June, and how many will stick with their Evo 4G and look forward to the gingerbread/new sense update that will be coming to the Evo 4G also around June

You should add a third choice, like "Maybe", or "Undecided". As of now I am feeling ambivalent about the new EVO. Specs are out of this world, but I like the form factor of the original EVO more than the EVO 3D.

Maybe I'll feel differently when the release date approaches. Funny as it sounds, the lack of a kickstand disappoints me the most.

Upvote 0
What about an option for people purchasing EVO first time that aren't upgrading?

If the EVO 3D has support for both WiMax and LTE when it comes out then it is a for sure purchase. Otherwise...I might try and pick up a second hand EVO 4G and wait to see what comes out later on down the road. That lack of LTE was a huge killer for me. May force me to stay with big red.

Upvote 0
If they would have left the original EVO alone and added the new qHD screen and dual processors and Rom memory and LTE and left everything else alone I know I would still go for it. I just don't know about the new design and if the 3d is honestly feature I really want or need. Put in a kick ass 2d camera and new design like the HTC Pyramid and the choice would be easy.

Is it worth a 2 year contract like the EVO, I just don't know anymore... I qualify for a yearly upgrade and I might just hold off to see what other device they come up with. The LTE thing threw me for a loop too. Thought that might be a future ready inclusion.

Time will tell...

Upvote 0
Now this is quite a predicament... I was thinking that I would be sure to upgrade IF/WHEN it gets streaming netflix!:D

However, without a kickstand... kinda kills watching netflix... :rolleyes:

Oh but wait, there's going to be a case with a kickstand... but they put the charging port on the side that will face the table, which kinda kills the battery...:eek:

So, with Netflix SIGNIFICANTLY hindered by the new design... is it still worth upgrading when if/when if gets streaming Netflix? Not sure now... :(

Upvote 0
I'm not rushing out to upgrade, but I reserve the right to eventually do so. I'm not yet sold on the need for 3d in a phone and still see it as a cheap gimmick. I don't see an any allure to a 3d interface nor do 3d video or a 3d camera capture my attention. Once the phone is out in the wild and user reviews start flowing in, I'll revisit that opinion. I'm also going to be interested in what kind of battery life the '3d is getting. Significant improvement over the current Evo might sway me, but I doubt we'll see that. OTH, Thunderbolt type battery life would make the '3D a non starter for me. As it stands, the only benefit I see for me in the '3D is somewhat faster performance and a little sharper display, which is worth ~$0 to me. As it stands now, I might be willing to risk the outstanding stability and reliability I'm getting from my Evo if I could sell it for the same or more than the subsidized price of the '3D. And I'm not due a subsidy till August. Since the poll is now, I have to vote that I'm sticking with the best damn device I've owned in years, the EVO 4G!

Reactions: taylor7667
Upvote 0
Agreed pasta!!

Hmm... I'm thinking that if enough of the Original Evo owners don't upgrade, it will send a message to HTC to either

(1) Stop creating such show-stopping, breathtaking, timeless, obsoletion-immune devices that provide users with confidence in their phone's tech through an entire 2yr contract! (Evo1) In order to incentivise consumers to upgrade early.
or
(2) Start listening to the consumers about what was right and wrong with the original show-stopper, and avoid eliminating the 'rights' (kickstand, micro-USB placement) and keeping/supplementing the 'wrongs' (Fragile super-nipple camera lens... can't really think of anything else wrong with my Evo? sorry.) so that people will be more likely to upgrade early.

I sure hope they go with the #2 method....
In the mean time, I'm looking forward to holding an Evo 3D... then probably looking forward to what's next.

Reactions: Slice28
Upvote 0
I upgraded to the Evo in December and am eligible for the yearly upgrade, so I will probably get the 3d when I can.

That said, I hope the 3d ROM is ported to the regular Evo. I like the look of the new Sense that is on my wife's Shift.

wasnt aware that the new sense was on the evo shift.. how much better is it than the sense on the evo ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones