• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiMax/3G BOOST Newb Question???

PHATBOi813

Lurker
Aug 26, 2012
Tampa, FL
Ok, I live in Tampa, FL and have a HTC Evo Design that I get full bar WiMAX 4G on at my house. I want to upgrade phones to an S2, my question is: Is it worth losing my 4G to save a $100 and buy a "flashed to BOOST" S2 that only utilizes 3G over paying full price for the official BOOST S2? Any input provided is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, the guy that is selling the "flashed" S2 says they are doing away with WiMAX in Tampa anyways, but that just sounds like a sales pitch to me...:rolleyes:

Ok, I live in Tampa, FL and have a HTC Evo Design that I get full bar WiMAX 4G on at my house. I want to upgrade phones to an S2, my question is: Is it worth losing my 4G to save a $100 and buy a "flashed to BOOST" S2 that only utilizes 3G over paying full price for the official BOOST S2? Any input provided is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, the guy that is selling the "flashed" S2 says they are doing away with WiMAX in Tampa anyways, but that just sounds like a sales pitch to me...:rolleyes:

im no expert on this but here's what I know.
Boost is Nextel which is Sprint. Sprint is currently loading 4G LTE as their main 4G service. WiMax which Sprint first invested in is a inferior 4G service. However I am currently unaware of their plans for WiMax. Logic says they dump it all really soon and go all LTE. I would invest in an 4G LTE or a 3G phone. Lest you may wind up paying for 4G services you have no access to. Better yet stay away from anything related to Sprint (and especially their 4G) would be a good call another year and a half till they get all caught up UNLESS you can say you have great service where you are. So my suggestion would be go for the 3G with boost if your already enjoying good service through them.:)

Upvote 0

It's a sales pitch . If you have 4g WIMAX w/BOOST in your area, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Earliest dismantling of WIMAX won't begin until 2015.

You'd be better off buying a new or refurbished 4G WIMAX phone that is under warranty.
Just shop around & you'll be better off. Besides, the forum is full of stories about flashed phones not being fully functional, why waste your money on a phone that is gimped the very first day you have it?

Check out some reputable sites such as COWBOOM for a good deal on a refurbished phone w/a warranty. Better yet, see if BOOST has refurbished phones available, whether on-line or in your local store.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones