• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wimax!! feel like an idiot lol

montenell

Sep 29, 2011
So i've had this phone a year and just discovered that i do have 4g access.. I was actually considering finding a new prepaid carrier due to the slow speeds i get on 3g. well as i looked for the money virgin is the best place. then i started looking at sprint 4g and found that while where i live (birmingham al) is not listed it is considered by sprint an unannounced city. meaning there is at least one 4g tower here. Mind you this was under lte but i decided to turn 4g on and as i drove thru the city waalaa! i was indeed connected to 4g. it is spotty in areas but the fact that i've had this phone for a year and even saw the 4g icon before and didnt realize that i had 4g access makes me feel ridiculous...

that said does anyone know what virgin plans to do once wimax is dead completely? i see that sprint is offering customers the opportunity to terminate without the etf or to get a free "standard" 4g device. I saw somewhere that virgin and boost would follow suite but i havent seen it confirmed.

Reactions: scary alien
To each their own, I'm waiting for Virgin to release an HTC lte device before I make the switch, considering that the only WiMAX enabled handsets on Virgin is the Evo V and the SGS2, and the service isn't due to be suspended until 2015, I seriously doubt that we will get any compensation. Unless SoftBank decides to repurpose the bandwidth sooner. :thinking:
OB

Upvote 0
(Come to the dark side of the GS3, OverByter, you know you want to.)

:D

luke_NOOOOOO.jpg

Upvote 0
i like the EVO V i wish i wouldve known they where phaseing it out though however like overbyter said that wont be until atleast 2015 so i doubt well get anymore wimax radios , to flash & i read that At&t (no offence to At&t) lovers has the worst prepaid service but thats suppose to change , i also read they bought out the cricket brand because they were going in debt , so they could become very good iam guessing theyre still gonna keep the cricket name though but at&t will own them so they could get very good , i would like to be able when i buy a phone to have 4g lte speeds with unlimited data but At&t is greedy with the data as the go phones u pay 65,00 for unlimited talk text & only 1 gig of data which seems like alot to me right now we atleast get unlimited data on virgin even if our speeds can suck drastically & then be throttled to suck even more, i use to be able it seemed hide data useage by Changeing DNS from mobile to google or another DNS then mixed with a good vpn with data compression i never use to get any warning from VM about data useage being reached at 2.5 but it seems i been getting hit by them emails & throttle warnings text every month since there upgrades that there still doing , so i wrote them a email saying that if there gonna start offering 4g & 4g lte speeds they might wanna change there unlimited data caps from 2.5 gigs to 5 gigs & my responce back email said that they still offer unlimited its just were throttled & its a heads up to 3g speeds they said , but they just got these phones May 2012 and before that they only had 3g phones so i doubt they can say they data speed cap 3g to 3g speeds or that they never speed capped or throttled before they had 4g phones so it just dont make sence to me on that end , & now there getting into 4g lte phones & itll be pretty annoying to get this kind of texts that ive been getting followed by a email anytime u reach 80% of 2.5 gigs of data

Sorry was just rambling , was non root thread so thought the subject of the thread seemed like a good place to rant
but i do like Virgins good service to me but i think if at&t & t-mobile are having prepaid plans my next phone will be one of there gsm phones

i will warn that ive read horriable stuff about straight talk , & i know net 10 doesnt offer 4g services thats why i stayed in prepaid subject but the major name brands , that are gsm , i myself really gotton to like HTC & never played with a Galaxy phone

ok done ranting TY

Upvote 0
My guess is that they will probably offer some type of discount on an LTE phone in order to get people to switch. I just bought the Galaxy S3 anyway, so it won't affect me. Glad to be rid of the Evo, I doubt I will ever buy an HTC phone again.

What did you dislike about the Evo? I've had mine about a year now and have been extremely happy with it. That might be because I upgraded from an Optimus V to the Evo so I don't know any better. What improvements have you seen with the S3?

Upvote 0
I did see that u can get a 50.00 bestbuy giftcard with the purchase of a samsung device including virgin mobile brands, but iam still not that rich but figured id rant some more & share, that mixed with pricematching, has to be a virgin samsung if thats what ur pricematching , so if radio shack or walmart or target or virgin mobile have it lower then bestbuy u can pricematch & still get the 50.00 bestbuy gift card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=25&fs=16&iht=n

Id probably still get the geeksquad protection, they where good about rooted phones with me in the past & replaced my bricked kyocera rise several times,

Upvote 0
What did you dislike about the Evo? I've had mine about a year now and have been extremely happy with it. That might be because I upgraded from an Optimus V to the Evo so I don't know any better. What improvements have you seen with the S3?

I'm not saying the Evo is the worst phone ever made, but it just has a lot of annoying little problems. I owned one HTC phone a few years ago, and it stopped working after only 2 months. I have known several people who have owned HTC phones, and all have not been impressed. The S3 is much faster, and not as sluggish doing certain tasks, and another big difference is the size & weight. The Evo may have felt like it was built more solidly, but it also felt like a brick in my pocket. It's all a matter of personal preference anyway.

Upvote 0
then i started looking at sprint 4g and found that while where i live (birmingham al) is not listed it is considered by sprint an unannounced city. meaning there is at least one 4g tower here. Mind you this was under lte but i decided to turn 4g on and as i drove thru the city waalaa! i was indeed connected to 4g. it is spotty in areas but the fact that i've had this phone for a year and even saw the 4g icon before and didnt realize that i had 4g access makes me feel ridiculous...

that said does anyone know what virgin plans to do once wimax is dead completely? i see that sprint is offering customers the opportunity to terminate without the etf or to get a free "standard" 4g device. I saw somewhere that virgin and boost would follow suite but i havent seen it confirmed.

An announced city such as Birmingham, AL with only one WiMax tower is considered a "protection site." The FCC made it mandatory for Sprint/Clearwire to have coverage of 4G WiMax in cities/towns/metro areas with a certain specified population or risk losing the licensing and spectrum. Most of the protection sites are located in the most populated areas and are usually un-throttled 4G WiMax. Where I live is considered a protection site and I have speeds normally in the 9000mbps and bursts up to 15000mbps.

Now that Sprint has shut down its legacy Nextel iDEN 800mhz trunked system the next step will be to shut down the WiMax towers and utilize that spectrum for LTE once the contract with Clearwire expires in 2014/2015. I would assume that Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile will either offer a free entry level LTE phone such as the Samsung Galaxy Victory or give its current customers on WiMax phones a discount on a LTE device when the time comes, not going to hold my breath though. It's not like the EVO V will become obsolete when WiMax is phased out. It was a different story when Sprint had customers on Nextel network and were warned for a year that the network was going to be shut down and their devices would become obsolete and would absolutely not work they gave them the option to switch over to the CDMA network or end their contract without the ETF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones