• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 8 (and 8.1)

What's your opinion?

• Total voters
Does this mean that the next time (I believe that will be #9?) the (hated) Lenovo Y410p breaks and has its hd replaced, classic shell won't be the first thing I need to install after initial start up? YAY!

I'm glad they're finally admitting failure and fixing the problem they could easily have avoided, even if they're severely late doing it. Of course they're playing it like this was the plan all along, but that's typical big corporate talk.

Now, maybe they can move on to addressing the need to have several hours (manual update) to several days/weeks (auto update) before a fresh win8 install can be updated to 8.1?

Upvote 0
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update

Pros
Fastest startup of any Windows version. Better mouse and keyboard usability. Better integration of modern and "classic" Windows apps. Loads of included apps and utilities. Improved Mail app. Help for getting started. Better integration of tiled Start screen and desktop. Boot to desktop by default on laptops and desktops.

Cons
Dual nature may still confuse some. Windows app store lacks some big titles. Included apps (mail, music) not as slick as those of OS X Mavericks.

Bottom Line
Windows 8.1 Update is geared towards pleasing mouse and keyboard users while simultaneously deepening integration with its touch-friendly interface.

Upvote 0
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update

Pros
Fastest startup of any Windows version. Better mouse and keyboard usability. Better integration of modern and "classic" Windows apps. Loads of included apps and utilities. Improved Mail app. Help for getting started. Better integration of tiled Start screen and desktop. Boot to desktop by default on laptops and desktops.

Cons
Dual nature may still confuse some. Windows app store lacks some big titles. Included apps (mail, music) not as slick as those of OS X Mavericks.

Bottom Line
Windows 8.1 Update is geared towards pleasing mouse and keyboard users while simultaneously deepening integration with its touch-friendly interface.

Bottom line is Microsoft is still trying to jam a phone/tablet interface down the throats of people who want no part of it.

Upvote 0
I think they call that "progress".

Like digital cameras and automatic transmissions and indoor outhouses... :rolleyes:

Since my user experience is worse not better I disagree. I have no problem with tablet touch interfaces on tablets. I love tablets. I have no use for a tablet interface on a non touch screen desktop intended for work, not play. The VAST majority of businesses agree since very, very few use 8.1 For that matter even libraries and colleges don't use it in their own computers. I never thought I'd switch to Apple but if Microsoft continues down this road my next desktop will be an apple.

I'm not the least bit "confused" and could do without the condescending remarks implying I just don't "get it".

Upvote 0
I'm not the least bit "confused" and could do without the condescending remarks implying I just don't "get it".

There's no implication intended.

It isn't that you are 'out of touch' or whatever, it's that this kind of thing is inevitable. The collective 'we' have had these same arguments over the misuse and abuse of our computing choices and lifestyles for decades, and we will continue to have them for decades more (if not centuries).

Bill Gates came up with an original idea that people should pay the programmer for the privilege of using their code... for a while.

The user doesn't own the software (that's the way it used to be, pre-BG), they are merely allowed to use it.

Microsoft doesn't care. At all.

You, the individual user, are not their primary market. Big corporations and governments are. Yes, they are as recalcitrant about progress, et al, as you are, but they are addicted to MS...

That means that with much grousing, grumbling, and dragging of feet they will buy into Windows 8.1 and they will get used to it (probably around the time everyone is carrying on about Windows 10 or whatever...).

If you want to jump off their bandwagon and onto someone else's, then by all means, please do.

Or go your own way, and let a few of us jump on your wagon.

Upvote 0
There's no implication intended.

It isn't that you are 'out of touch' or whatever, it's that this kind of thing is inevitable. The collective 'we' have had these same arguments over the misuse and abuse of our computing choices and lifestyles for decades, and we will continue to have them for decades more (if not centuries).

Bill Gates came up with an original idea that people should pay the programmer for the privilege of using their code... for a while.

The user doesn't own the software (that's the way it used to be, pre-BG), they are merely allowed to use it.

Microsoft doesn't care. At all.

You, the individual user, are not their primary market. Big corporations and governments are. Yes, they are as recalcitrant about progress, et al, as you are, but they are addicted to MS...

That means that with much grousing, grumbling, and dragging of feet they will buy into Windows 8.1 and they will get used to it (probably around the time everyone is carrying on about Windows 10 or whatever...).

If you want to jump off their bandwagon and onto someone else's, then by all means, please do.

Or go your own way, and let a few of us jump on your wagon.

So when Windows Me came out you would have given me the same nonsense? Business and government never used it and will never use 8.1 until/unless all the tablet interface is dumped or completely user dump able.

Upvote 0
Business and Government use Windows not because they are "addicted" to Windows they are merely used to it. When Windows came out it was "easy" to use and learn. Unlike Linux/Unix systems which required more intelligence than the graphical system of Windows. Most people are just not willing to learn another system and for Business and Government its just not cost worthy to train people to use a different system. One reason most companies haven't made the switch to the latest and greatest of Windows is that people will have to re-learn how to use the OS. This would not be cost beneficial for most corporations. I'm just glad that I do not use Windows at all as I have no desire to make someone rich just to use their stuff. Then I have to make others rich as well just to keep that OS secure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones