• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Windows 8 and Fastboot

Sigh...

I am on Windows 8.1. I was trying to update twrp via GooManager, but my recovery has disappeared.

I have tried the bootloader method but to no avail. I have tried the fastboot method also, but it keeps saying waiting for device.

I am on Radio 1.12.11.12.10
and S-off.
I have pestered ocnbrze to help me, with this, with dead ends. When I boot into bootloader with the phone connected to the laptop, I get this message

Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)... I have no idea how to fix this or if there is a solution...

Anyone else have or had this problem?

P.S. ocnbrze is the awesomest. He is very patient and kind person. :D

Gije.

"waiting for device" is definately a driver issue,and windows 8.1 is notoriously fussy. Failing this fix,do you have access to an older pc? Getting drivers working is pretty straightforward on xp/7 machines.

Also,don't take your USB cables or ports for granted. I've learned the hard way that not all USB cables are created equal. USB 3.0 and hubs(especially non powered ones) are also prollematic.

Windows also tends to have issues when other programs try and comunicate with the device when you're working with it. HTC sync,pda net,easy tether,even I tunes can cause prollems.

Sorry is this is basic info,but without being part of the previous comunications its hard to know where to start :)

Upvote 0
Its Kinda off-topic, but is it easier to install recovery in Linux? I have Peppermint 4 OS, on a live USB.

Just curious.

Absolutely. I don't know anything about that specific OS,but you will not have the driver issues in lnux that you do with windows. Just need to install adb/fastboot.

Maybe someone here knows if our minisdk will work with your particular OS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones