• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless Charging Cover

I am not sure what the second set of pins are for but only the two higher up are needed for charging. I have been using parts out of a palm pre since the day I got my phone and it works great.

Why do I use it?
1. I hate having dangling cords and this is a much more elegant solution to any dock out there
2. Works as a dock at home, office and my car(with double sided tape) without having to fidget with the position
3. Cost like $12 for Pre back cover, charging base, cable and power supply on amazon.

Thoughts on the second set of pins:
1. Because you are adding extra metal in front of the NFC pickup which is on the battery, they might be moving the NFC pickup off the battery and onto the back cover.
2. Could be for selling a battery without NFC and still allow you to keep the capability for those that switch batteries during the day.
3. Visa PayPass which is on the Olympic versions of the S3 have a special chip. Verizon is going to have ISIS and possible it will need its own special chip. Could allow for future expansion to have that chip embedded into cover.

Reactions: pcorlatan
Upvote 0
I just picked up a cover at the Verizon store for 31.50 with my discount they had 2 in stock a blue and white one but they were in the back not on display.
They did not have the charging pad in stock though.
Any recommendations on an inexpensive charging pad ? They had one on display for $50.00 which seemed kind of high to me.

Upvote 0
Verizon is the only US carrier with the capability (if you buy the add on).
Fun to look back and see all the wrong opinions as this one. All S3 phones were Built with Built in wireless charging. Verizion demanded these built for them as Samsung had plans for a Different Wireless Standard, hint, the extra contacts to power the NFC antenna because Qi blocked the built in NFC antenna in the Battery cover.

Upvote 0
to those curious about the second set of prongs, as i said earlier... verizon has their own induction charging tech that apparently requires extra connections
Another fun look back to wrong answers. The extra contacts has nothing to do with charging, it is to power the extra NFC antenna because Verizon demanded their phones charge with Qi and Samsung has their own. Verizon's choice blocks the NFC signal so the extra contacts power the Antenna you see at the bottom of the cover

Upvote 0
sircody, you have your facts correct.

Another interesting question is how Sprint will be able to implement wireless charging without messing up NFC since the Sprint model does not have contacts for the extra NFC antenna.

I modified my Sprint phone as described in this thread.

Based on the hardware, I think a fair argument could be made that Sprint NEVER intends to add wireless charging.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones