• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wireless charging

J

jeep_man

So I picked up the Maxx....love this phone. I also picked up the seidio ghost 100 qi wireless charger from my Verizon local corporate store. It is the black one that says DROID on it. I plugged it in last night and laid my maxx down on top of it and it makes a really loud sound indicating that it is wireless charging. The only way that i found to turn it off is to silence my ringer, which i do not like doing in case i am needed for my job. I also noticed that after about 30 mins it was scorching hot. I removed it from the charger because i didn't want to ruin my new phone. So the questions are:

1. does anybody know of an app to disable the wireless charging notification sound?

2. should this charger be putting off this much heat? This doesn't seem normal and i am not talking about a little bit of heat, it put off more heat than my wife's heating pad can on the high setting :-(

I picked up the ghost 100 as well. Works perfectly, but after draining my phone to about 10%, I left it on last night (as I did a few times before) and also not only noticed it was really, really hot when I woke this morning, it must have turned off at times to protest itself as the batter was only at 79% this morning.

Wireless charging was a cool little feature to have, but looks like it I cant even rely on it to get a full charge in my phone, I am going to return it and stick to regular charging. Oh well. I threw the box away so I hope I can still take it back with the receipt.

Upvote 0
So I picked up the Maxx....love this phone. I also picked up the seidio ghost 100 qi wireless charger from my Verizon local corporate store. :-(

Hi jeep_man, sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your wireless charger but it's not one of our products, we do not have a wireless charging plate. We recommend contacting the Verizon store you purchased it from!

Upvote 0
i would recommend the nokia wireless charger, it's a Qi charger and i haven't had any complaints about the charger to those that i have sold it to. it may be a charger problem (since its new) or it could be something with the phone and it just gets too hot, maybe they need a software update and slow the charge rate down on wireless charging.

either way let us know what you find, can't wait to get my maxx next week!

You work in a Verizon Store and don't have it yet? Egads man, get on it :)

Upvote 0
Be warned...hold onto your box! They wouldn't take mine back, with receipt, because I threw away the box. Minor bummer, but only out 40 bucks. it worked fine on the first two nights until I let the battery really drain down, and since I didn't recall seeing a warning about overheating within the packaging I simply threw it away after a few days

Upvote 0
called again, and talked them into giving me store credit on the incipio. I told them I didn't hold onto the box because it worked fine at first, and there was no warnings anyone on the package about it overheating and shutting down the phone, and simply felt the battery was just too big for wireless charging, at least with that model charger.

When I went to the store and brought it back, one of the girls asked the girl who was ringing me up (I exchanged it for a case) what was being returned. When she told her the maxx wireless charger, she asked..."oh that one that's been overheating" or something along those lines, so I guess I wasn't the first one having the same issue.

For anyone considering it, again, it does work, but if you use your phone heavy in the day and charge it at night, you will not wake with a full charge. Started my day with 79% after a full night on the charger. I can take the extra 4 seconds I guess and plug it in to wake with a full charge. A nice little convenience, but a full battery is simply more convenient to me.

Upvote 0
Sounds like heat is to be expected in the inductive charging process, as is relatively slow charge time. Makes sense that it's a fundamentally less efficient process - you're converting current to a field, then from a field back to current (as opposed to a plug that just goes straight into the device). As an aside and as a mechanical engineer - I think that's something that's going to be hard to ever get around... the efficiency of a direct plug is always going to be king.

With that said, I'm still kinda tempted to get one. This is the Nokia charging plate we're all talking about?

Upvote 0
Sounds like heat is to be expected in the inductive charging process, as is relatively slow charge time. Makes sense that it's a fundamentally less efficient process - you're converting current to a field, then from a field back to current (as opposed to a plug that just goes straight into the device). As an aside and as a mechanical engineer - I think that's something that's going to be hard to ever get around... the efficiency of a direct plug is always going to be king.

With that said, I'm still kinda tempted to get one. This is the Nokia charging plate we're all talking about?

Yeah that's it. Currently 25$ from att. I might return mine with all this heat chatter

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about getting a charger just for casual charging - for when I would normally put the phone down on a counter - and not for overnight charging. I may wait.

The killer for me is that I already have a powermat (early adopter; it was a gift from my wife, who hates seeing wires all over the place) that isn't qi compatible. I've never had a device that I could charge directly on that thing.

Upvote 0
I have the energizer single and double inductive chargers.

Both charge the Maxx quickly - no noticeable difference between them and plug.

Both have large power supplies - 1a for single and 2.3a for double (2 pads plus usb port).

Phone gets warm but not hot.

I think your heat issue could be based on the alignment between the charging pad and the sweet spot on the phone. It does give you a graphic to line up with the Qi circle on the phones display when you first put it down.

In the case of the energizer the center of the Qi icon seems to align with the motorola logo on the back of the phone - which makes the phone overhang the charger on the bottom if they are in alignment.

So if you line up edge to edge, you'll be misaligned which I would think would increase charging time and heat.

I've charged the phone from 0% with it getting warm but not hot.

Try aligning before you give back the charger.

Upvote 0
I have to say that this may be my greatest disappointment with this phone. I truly truly looked forward to using wireless charging. Ever since I heard about the concept of wireless charging years ago, I had wireless charging envy. I wanted a device that was capable of doing that. So when I heard that it was not only possible with the Maxx but it came ready to use it with wireless charging I was GEEKED beyond belief.

Sadly, I don't have a need for it. :( I REALLY want to use it (I'm a teacher) on my desk at school. I had envisioned laying my Maxx on it throughout the day to keep me fully charged at all times. The truth is, I don't need to do that. I don't need to worry about charging EVER.

Thanks a lot Motorola, you've ruined my dreams by providing a phone that really only needs to be charged once per day, well, once every couple of days most days. :mad:

Upvote 0
I have to say that this may be my greatest disappointment with this phone. I truly truly looked forward to using wireless charging. Ever since I heard about the concept of wireless charging years ago, I had wireless charging envy. I wanted a device that was capable of doing that. So when I heard that it was not only possible with the Maxx but it came ready to use it with wireless charging I was GEEKED beyond belief.

Sadly, I don't have a need for it. :( I REALLY want to use it (I'm a teacher) on my desk at school. I had envisioned laying my Maxx on it throughout the day to keep me fully charged at all times. The truth is, I don't need to do that. I don't need to worry about charging EVER.

Thanks a lot Motorola, you've ruined my dreams by providing a phone that really only needs to be charged once per day, well, once every couple of days most days. :mad:

I completely understand but I do shut down and charge every night after about 16 hours of use. After looking a a lot of chargers and hearing reports of heat problems I decided to go with the TYLT VU. It is expensive, $69 from Verizon, but it sits the phone at a 45 deg. angle and really serves as a nice charging desk dock. I received it today and unfortunately since the Maxx is such a power miser I was only at 80% when I put it on charge. With the phone on it reached 100% in about 45 minutes with no heat problem, Barely warm to the touch. If you are sitting at a desk or table the green charging light under the lip on the bottom is easy to see. When you put the phone on it in portrait it is easy to position. If the light is red you need to adjust. I have the bumper case on my Maxx and it turned green right away. It does tell you audibly when it is charging. :D I think that has been reported but it is a short sound and not uncomfortably loud.
I look at it as a long term investment, it is a Qi charger and will charge future phones as well as the Maxx. It is pricey but so far I think it is a superior piece of equipment. My wife says I have to give up two weeks of dinners out.:( It is worth a close look and worth the money IMHO
Lew

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones