• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless N + WiFi Tether

For those who's wifi tether still works, does the computer you're tethering to have a wireless-n card? Mine does not; maybe that's the problem, that the phone is now acting as a wireless-n only router. But my laptop still recognizes and connects to it, there's just no internet access.

When I applied the wireless N hack and tried to use Wifi Tethering my computer wireless N network card did identify my Incredible as broadcasting in B/G/N mode but it would not connect properly (no IP address assigned to client). I tried a different computer with a wireless G card and it did not work either. Only rolling back the N hack fixed WiFi tethering for me. As people have said, WiFi Tethering > Wireless N

Also when I first applied the Wireless N hack for some reason it did not take effect right away. It took a few reboots of the phone for it to happen and during this time WiFi tethering worked just fine, only with wireless G though. I have no idea why the hack did not take effect right away, I find that to be quite odd. It might also explain why other people who have applied the hack still have their WiFi tethering working. Because in essence the hack is not actually in effect. I'd like to know if they can connect to a wireless N only network, and still have WiFi tethering working and reading as a wireless N network.

Upvote 0
mine works but yes it is connected at G

Can you actually connect to a wireless N network with your phone and get wireless N speeds?? Easiest way to know for sure is to set your router to wireless N only. I have a feeling the hack is not actually working on your phone, as you'd be in the minority.

After I applied the hack to my phone everything worked just fine but with wireless G only. For some reason after I rebooted it a few times, the hack actually took effect and I could connect at wireless N speeds and wifi tethering was broadcasting in wireless N, but nothing could actually connect.

Upvote 0
i have my router set to N only and my phone connects to it just fine.

when i tether, it connects to my laptop as G. i don't think the phone can tether as wireless N, but only b/g.

That is not the case for me. I tried two computers one with a wireless N card the other with a wireless G card. Both could not get IP address. They would say they were connected but no data was flowing.

When you are using wifi tethering with the wireless n hack enabled did you make sure you could load a web page properly with the connected machine? It will look like it's connected, but nothing is actually happening. Try it again, I think you'll see it's not actually working.

Upvote 0
That is not the case for me. I tried two computers one with a wireless N card the other with a wireless G card. Both could not get IP address. They would say they were connected but no data was flowing. When you are using wifi tethering with the wireless n hack enabled did you make sure you could load a web page properly with the connected machine. It will look like it's connected, but nothing is actually happening.

yes it actually connects and loads pages. it works just fine.

i am tethering on it right now. this was sent from my laptop, tethered to my phone.

Upvote 0
yes it actually connects and loads pages. it works just fine.

i am tethering on it right now. this was sent from my laptop, tethered to my phone.

And your phone connects to your wireless N only network at wireless N speeds just fine... Lucky you. I wonder what's different for you then most of the rest of us. Maybe I'll give it another try this weekend.

Does your laptop see the WiFi tethering network as B/G/N or just B/G? For me the incredible's wifi tethering network was detectable as a B/G/N network, but was non functional.

Upvote 0
Can you actually connect to a wireless N network with your phone and get wireless N speeds?? Easiest way to know for sure is to set your router to wireless N only. I have a feeling the hack is not actually working on your phone, as you'd be in the minority.

After I applied the hack to my phone everything worked just fine but with wireless G only. For some reason after I rebooted it a few times, the hack actually took effect and I could connect at wireless N speeds and wifi tethering was broadcasting in wireless N, but nothing could actually connect.

just put my router on N only and it still connects

Upvote 0
And your phone connects to your wireless N only network at wireless N speeds just fine... Lucky you. I wonder what's different for you then most of the rest of us. Maybe I'll give it another try this weekend.

Does your laptop see the WiFi tethering network as B/G/N or just B/G? For me the incredible's wifi tethering network was detectable as a B/G/N network, but was non functional.

yes, my phone connects to my wireless router when the router is in N only mode. it's not perfect though. it seems like a more reliable connection when i connect as G. when i connect as N it'll randomly drop the connection. when it's connected as G it always stays connected. i have a nice netgear router with a supposed 300 foot range, but i guess it's a spotty connection in my room. when connected as N the wifi analyzer app shows a stronger signal than when connected at G though which seems normal, but it doesn't make sense that it drops it occasionally.

when i tether it shows up on my laptop as a G connection at 54mbps. my laptop is an HP with an Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter.

Upvote 0

wifi tether is seen as a G network on my laptop

Upvote 0
wifi tether is seen as a G network on my laptop
That's indeed how it should be.

Quoting from a post over at xda:
If you are using Ad-hoc mode to tether, I don't think you can do 11n. Ad-hoc mode doesn't support N as far as I know. The EVO and Nexus One with Froyo use infrastructure mode for tethering, and actually make the phone into an AP by downloading different firmware to the WiFi chip. Take a look at the driver at android.git.kernel.org. The AP mode firmware only supports 11g at present.

Upvote 0
I-Agree.gif

I have the same problem. Don't even use n anyway, just did it for the hell of it cuz I was rooted! I need my wifi tethering...

Mine never worked but I did the "N" hack first. I've gone back to "G" but it still doesn't help. :thinking:
when I start the tether app it says it started but has errors. Looking in the log it says

Changing channel - failed
Configuring SSID - failed
Activating Ad-hoc mode - failed
taking a nap --- done <-----maybe that's why it doesn't work the lazy $#$#$%#$%@
Loading dhd.ko module failed

All other log entries say - done

Anyone know what the dhd.ko module is it is the first error and i'm thinking it is why the others failed parts aren't working.

Upvote 0
Interesting, that was not the case for me. It showed up as wireless N for me, but it did not work.. With both wireless N or G wifi cards.

Well looks like I have same issue that you had. When I had N enabled and started wifi tether my laptop would recognize it as a N network. I went back to G though but still the same issue. I think its almost time to call it and do a clean wipe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones