• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless Tethering App for iPad on MT3GS?

tkc330cic

Lurker
Sep 19, 2010
Hello all,

I've searched and read threads about apps to tether iPads to their phone, but most use "Barnacle" on phones other than the My Touch 3G Slide.

Barnacle just does not seem to work well with the MT3GS. I've tried many many times and I've gotten it to work only once and only for a moment and then the iPad lost the connection and didn't see barnacle again.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to tether the iPad to the My Touch 3G Slide?

Thanks!

Hello and thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

So I googled and found it and downloaded this to my PC. I read somewhere that for our phone, we should use the nexusone version. (wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code)

However, I'm a noob to all this, so if you don't mind, can you explain what I'm supposed to do now? Do I need to install anything to the iPad itself?

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
Hello and thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

So I googled and found it and downloaded this to my PC. I read somewhere that for our phone, we should use the nexusone version. (wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code)

However, I'm a noob to all this, so if you don't mind, can you explain what I'm supposed to do now? Do I need to install anything to the iPad itself?

Thank you in advance!

im not using the nexus one apk, im using the stable HTC one (should be towards the bottom of the list). you dnt need to instal anything to your ipad at all. i should have asked before i suggested wifi-tether but are you rooted? if not, this app isnt going to work

*assuming you are rooted, to get this app working for you
-click on the wifi tether. it should ask you to grant super user permissions. so click allow
-in the middle of the screen there should be something that says press to start tether (tap that)
-once u see the wifi tether icon in your status bar, have your ipad search for open wifi connects. i belive the default name for your slide will be 'Android Tether' (u can also change this in the settings)
-connect your ipad to it and you are done

just a word of advice, i would suggest once u get it working, turn off your tetherting and go inside the settings and configure everything for example the network name, firewalls etc.

Upvote 0
Maybe this will help.. I am using barnacle with my rooted droid 2 global. I had some initial trouble connecting my. Ipad as well but I knew barnacle was working because it could connect to my netbook with no problems. Then I figured out that the ipad searches in rounds for a signal and that barnacle changes the ad hac periodically when nothing connects to it. This is what I do, and it works everytime. Open your wireless tether app and get it ready to press start. Then open wireless networks on your ipad and turn off the wifi. Then, turn on the wifi on your ipad and wait until the little circular icon finishes one round of searching. (When it finishes the little circle icon will disappear for a second.) When the circle icon disappears, press the start button on your phone's wireless tether app. It should connect pretty much instantly. It works for me, so hopefully this will help. If it still doesn't work, you mighttry it with barnacle because I know it works with that app!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones