• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wisconsin Union Bill

oooooh its gettin better

Senate Republicans to withhold Democrats' pay - JSOnline

Madison -- Senate Republicans voted Tuesday to make Democrats hiding out in Illinois come back to Wisconsin to pick up their paychecks.
The Senate Committee on Organization voted on a 3-2 party line vote, with Republicans voting in favor and Democrats against, to change Senate rules so that senators who miss two consecutive floor days can no longer have their paychecks dropped automatically into their bank accounts. The vote was taken by paper ballot, which allowed Democrats to cast their votes from out-of-state.
Democrats who have already missed two consecutive floor sessions will now have to come to get their paychecks directly from Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) on the floor of the Senate.
"The majority leader shall provide the checks only to the absent Senator and only on the floor of the Senate during a session day," the new rule reads.
Democrats have been holed up in Illinois to block a Senate vote on Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair bill.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
oooooh its gettin better

Senate Republicans to withhold Democrats' pay - JSOnline

Madison -- Senate Republicans voted Tuesday to make Democrats hiding out in Illinois come back to Wisconsin to pick up their paychecks.
The Senate Committee on Organization voted on a 3-2 party line vote, with Republicans voting in favor and Democrats against, to change Senate rules so that senators who miss two consecutive floor days can no longer have their paychecks dropped automatically into their bank accounts. The vote was taken by paper ballot, which allowed Democrats to cast their votes from out-of-state.
Democrats who have already missed two consecutive floor sessions will now have to come to get their paychecks directly from Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) on the floor of the Senate.
"The majority leader shall provide the checks only to the absent Senator and only on the floor of the Senate during a session day," the new rule reads.
Democrats have been holed up in Illinois to block a Senate vote on Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair bill.

That is awesome, and I have absolutely NO problem with that...

In fact, I would prefer that if they missed a work day, it was DEDUCTED from their paycheck.

Upvote 0
I have no problem with getting public employees to kick in more money for their health care and pension but this bill is excluding police officers from this process. I just think if you are going to lump teachers, sanitation and other state employees into this it should be done across the board with all state employees.

Walker said that they couldn't include police officers or fire fighters in the bill because he has to lookout for the safety of the public - he couldn't have a lapse in police/fire service due to strike/protesting.

For that reason I'm sure they will never be touched.

Upvote 0
Walker said that they couldn't include police officers or fire fighters in the bill because he has to lookout for the safety of the public - he couldn't have a lapse in police/fire service due to strike/protesting.

you can run the place with the military for a few days.. but if they strike for weeks...

Upvote 0
Personally I'm all for limiting collective bargaining by the unions! As a former union employee I spent two years watching that union treat me like dirt, treat my employers like dirt, and serve few but themselves. In hindsight I admit that, unfortunately, I worked for one of the most corrupt labor unions in the U.S., the Culinary Workers Union of Nevada.

Upvote 0

People are frustrated, that's why we are seeing this morbid humor. There is no way he is actually suggesting that. The arrogance on part of the unions here is astounding. I don't know of one private sector job when the employee is exempt from paying at least part of their benefits. Yet some how the unions think it's their right to be payed better then the non-union shops.

Again I have no problem with unions in the private sector. There is a profit margin that can be haggled over and the unions provide leverage much to the dismay of the ceo/board of directors. In the public sector however unions directly take from their neighbors, schools, dot.....to fund their pay raises.

Upvote 0
You don't always have that choice. For example, to be a teacher in the state of Texas, you HAVE to be a member of the teachers union, and have dues taken out of your check. This is the same for many jobs and places of employment.

Obama and dems, wanted to pass the "card check" law a while back, that would take away secret ballot votes on forming a union. Meaning union thugs would know who and who didn't support them.

Absolutely true. And I am not so sure if you are clearly against a union and its leadership, you would feel comfortable at work if those with the power knew you were not on the side of the Unions.

I did not know it was a law in Texas that you were forced to become a union member, however.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
People are frustrated, that's why we are seeing this morbid humor. There is no way he is actually suggesting that. The arrogance on part of the unions here is astounding. I don't know of one private sector job when the employee is exempt from paying at least part of their benefits. Yet some how the unions think it's their right to be payed better then the non-union shops.

Again I have no problem with unions in the private sector. There is a profit margin that can be haggled over and the unions provide leverage much to the dismay of the ceo/board of directors. In the public sector however unions directly take from their neighbors, schools, dot.....to fund their pay raises.

Technolog - Indiana official loses job after 'live ammo' tweet

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
My wife, who watches local TV, informs me Mr. Cox was indeed fired today. As a side note, his father is the Statehouse reporter for a local TV station...

I watched BBC America recently, and the WI Governor seems to have "softened" his approach a bit. The vid provided was much more "thoughtful" than what I saw on BBC A. Good for him

A "union" thought; I was an employee of a "federal government" arm, and my craft was unionized(as were the other crafts), but it was not a "closed shop" and the union HAD to represent the non-union employees(they took the raises and other "goodies" the union won...I guess in hind sight, they were smarter than me :eek:....). Whenever it was contract time, there was always dialog between both sides and no one was overly troubled by the result. By law, we couldn't strike( and NATIONALLY never did...), and I only remember one time the thought was ever considered on a national scale.

Upvote 0

A fair point but I think in some states police and fire fighters are prohibiting from striking due to public safety concerns.

It also raises questions since they get very lucrative benefits and pensions and in some cases can retire after 20 or 25 years when other state workers can't. In my home state of New Jersey police officers can retire after 20 years and it's an issue when you factor in former state employees in their mid 40's collecting a good pension and benefits for up to 30 years. That is where the cost really starts to add up.

From a campaign standpoint, those two excluded groups supported Governor Walker while teachers and other public employees did not. That must be mentioned as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones