• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Working on this section

Sounds like the coverage for some providers goes nuts Oimmuk, when you leave the state. o_O

You can see Metro's full coverage here. MetroPCS | Coverage

As for 3G itself...it will only appear if you are in an area that the PRL reflects on for towers. If there's no 3G in the immediate area, then you won't get it either. However, a Metro Corp told me that they are using other provider's towers, some places with Sprint, others with Verizon.

You can look up on the map the zip-code of where you go outside of town and see if they provide the highest cover, which is 4G. If they do, then its likelier you will stay with 3G or be bumped down to the highest 1x you can get. As for your friend, I believe Sprint does NOT use this method, which can put some well placed hurt coverage wise...

Upvote 0
Thanks Toke and Star for the info...ummm now Toke can you tell me like I was<read that as am> Old and decrepit and computer illierate<which I am>.... What is Jailbreaking now?
Simply put, Jailbreaking is the process of removing limits in place by Apple. Gives you more control to modify and customize your device outside of what the limits were set, such as adding third party software not 'authorized' by Apple, and letting you use features not available before.

For Androids, its called "Rooting", analogous to the Jailbreak of Apple.

Upvote 0
Ok I think I got it...Rooting=Jailbreaking and Jailbreaking=Rooting, either gives you Super-Admin type control of the Software environ on the Phone. Now what the heck do I do with that...lol . Actually it sounds like I should leave this alone untill I finally understand it all. I am not cheap just on fixed income so I really do not want to mess this Phone u. Is there someplace or some posting for people like me who know nothing at all about all this stuff to get up to speed?

Upvote 0
Well, you can visit this for starters.

Why Root - Android Wiki

I haven't played with any ROMs personally, but rooting the phone just itself made it possible to remove Applications you probably will never use, as well as removing bloatware that pretty much is useless unless you buy the full App, like Uno.

Hope this helps, I was once unknowing of rooting, but since I had an Ascend, I had a bigger FAQ and guides to help, the M835 you can say is relatively new, thus so little threads, stickies and posts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones