• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worth upgrading to new HTC One from old HTC One?

Am I the only one using gesturing all the time to unlock my device? On YouTube a reviewer was saying he wishes you could gesture and turn the screen off opposed to reaching for the power button. I've used the app Screen Off & Lock since the EVO 4G days. Touch the app and your screen turns off. Also, you can put it in the notification drop down area to turn it off that way as well. Technically, you don't really ever have to use the power button.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I don't understand why HTC did not release a higher resolution rear ultrapixel cam, but if I was to guess I would say they are still trying to work out the bugs in the 4UP sensor before jumping to a higher resolution camera that may not perform as advertised. I would speculate a 8UP camera for next year. This is still a relatively new adaptation that has only been out a year.
The interesting thing about an 8MP "Ultrapixel" is what compromises they'd need to make to fit it in the phone? Most camera sensors are in the range 1/2.5" to 1/3.0", with the HTC Ultrapixel being at the small end of that range. To fit 8M pixels of the same size you'd need a 1/2.1" sensor, plus a correspondingly larger lens to illuminate it. Easy to build, but will it fit in a casing of that thickness (because customers don't like camera bulges)?

Of course "ultrapixel" is a marketing term, so up to a point can mean whatever you want it to mean. So you can shrink the pixels a bit, but to plausibly use the name they will need their pixels to remain significantly larger than their competitors. 8MP in the same 1/3" 16:9 format will give you the same size pixels as the iPhone 5c, which you'd need a lot of nerve to carry on calling ultrapixels, so a significantly higher resolution UP camera must be somewhat larger too. I hope they do increase the resolution (I'm not that bothered about the resolution for what I use it for, but it puts others off and is the most commonly-cited issue), but will be interested to see what the trade-off is.

Reactions: sikclown
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones